Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Compatibility and conversions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 11:04 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts

Hi folks. I posted this on Fifty Plus, but probably better to ask here...

I have a Shimergo set-up on a 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico and want to 'convert' the rear wheel/hub from Shimano 9-speed to Campagnolo 10-speed. Reason: ditching the Dura Ace DT shifters in favour of Campag brifters (I know... but I tried the retro thing and prefer to keep my hands on the bars).

The easiest way is to buy an Ambrosio conversion cassette, rather than buy a new wheel (or pay to have the freehub body changed) and sell the one I have.

So, my first question is: are conversion cassettes okay and would you really notice any difference in switching, between one of these and what might be considered a 'conventional' cassette?

Second question: so that I can run a 10-speed cassette, will the 9-speed pre-2011 Veloce rear mech (that I have been running) work with 10-speed brifters?

There seems to be some debate about question 2, but I can't find a definitive answer among the dogma. I'm assuming that the amount of travel in the rear mech is dictated by the shifters (and that the parallelogram in the mech is the same for 9 or 10 speed). I also assume - having read nothing to the contrary - that the jockey wheels of a 9-speed mech will accommodate a 10-speed chain.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Old 03-23-16, 11:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,937 Times in 2,346 Posts
I can't give you a definitive answer but here's my thoughts. As a rule I try to never use "conversion" methods that are also a wear item. So a cassette which fits a Shimano FH body but is Campy spaced would not be my first choice. Sooner or later it will wear out and you'll have to find another conversion cassette. Will the same one be available in 5 years? I much prefer a solution which lasts many years and many wear parts worth of miles. A cable travel conversion device (Shiftmate) is such an example. Andy.
Old 03-24-16, 09:18 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Campy 10 will shift a Shimano 10s cassette. Not with the smooth silent perfect shift we expect from an all Campa setup, but it will work pretty darned well. The limit screws will work pretty hard and you adjust to the center of the cassette and you'll run happily.

Changing freehub body would be the best answer if that's an available option. It won't be for Shimano hubs, but will be available for most aftermarket types.

The thing with conversion cassettes is that they rarely have the refined lift ramps and tooth profiles we find on Campy and Shimano, so the end result is that they don't shift better than using the wrong cassette.
Old 03-25-16, 07:46 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic
Campy 10 will shift a Shimano 10s cassette. Not with the smooth silent perfect shift we expect from an all Campa setup, but it will work pretty darned well.
Campy 10 brifters will shift a Shimano 10-speed cassette and Shimano rear derailleur "with the smooth silent perfect shift we expect from an all Campa setup", if you use a Jtek Shiftmate (#3). I used that exact arrangement on one bike for thousands of miles and it shifted just as quietly and smoothly as another bike with an all-Campy drivetrain.