Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

ultimate bike hipster shoe.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

ultimate bike hipster shoe.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 10:03 AM
acoldspoon
fixed or bent

Bikes: 1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paramount
You can search eBay for vintage touring shoes. They used to be common and you can still find deadstock ones. I recently scored a pair of Beta Bikers in black and Cannondales in blue. Both have fiberglass in the soles. They were each less than half of what those Keirin 400's cost, and they're not made by slave labor in China.

+1!

I rock these:

And these:

Old 04-15-08, 10:13 AM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doomkin
I don't think everyone knows this but I believe the story is that Nike is making shoes for all of America's Olympic athletes this year. Presumably we'll be seeing some Nike track shoes sooner or later.
Nike already made a full line of cycling shoes, but I think they abandoned it. So they'll probably either just retool their "Lance" shoe, or else they'll re-brand SIDIs like they did when they first started sponsoring Armstrong.

Either way, I don't think it's anything to get excited about.

Last edited by bonechilling; 04-15-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 10:36 AM
m4bandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheshyre
those nike fencing shoes look horrendously clunky, from the viewpoint of someone who did fencing before cycling. and that gymnastics "shoe" makes me giggle. i'm sure it's useful, but it's just funny to see it included as a shoe.

i wonder if the onitsuka keirins have stiff soles. that'd be cool.. agreed with other posters; my onitsuka fencing LAs are the most comfortable shoes i've ever worn, but 2 years later + a few holes, and it's time to replace them.
Mine are pretty stiff. Stiff enough to make walking a little awkward for a few days before they were broken in. I think they're plenty stiff while still being comfortable. No complaints here.
Old 04-15-08, 11:26 AM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonechilling
they'll re-brand SIDIs like they did when they first started sponsoring Armstrong.
It was DMT, not SIDI.
Old 04-15-08, 03:03 PM
paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those black Adidas one, they are great looking!

Originally Posted by acoldspoon
+1!

I rock these:

And these:

Old 07-02-09, 08:22 AM
itty01
mr. bananagrabber

Bikes: surly LHT, raleigh 3-spd singlespeed conversion, panasonic touring singlespeed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what the designer had to say:

Glad to hear that you like the Forte Kingston shoes. I was indeed involved in the development of that shoe, but I no longer work for Performance. Around the time I left the company, the Kingston's were in the process of being discontinued. The shoes actually sold very well, but some decision-makers felt that they were unattractive. Unfortunately for you, I'm afraid that Performance will probably never carry those shoes again...]
wow, that is too bad. i've had these shoes for 2+ years and they are finally coming to an end. i loved them. i'm really sad they were discontinued.

also, while some people think they're super ugly, i've only gotten compliments while wearing them.
Old 07-02-09, 10:36 AM
916dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did asics stop making the Keirin 400's as I can't seem to find them anywhere these days.
Old 07-02-09, 10:59 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 916dave
Did asics stop making the Keirin 400's as I can't seem to find them anywhere these days.
Yeah it looks like they're discontinued. There's a couple shady looking shoe shops that come up on google that claim to still have them, but they're asking like $120 for them. F that.
Old 07-02-09, 11:25 AM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanday
Wow. Do those come in less garish colors?
Then they wouldn't be "hipster"
Old 07-02-09, 03:31 PM
mugatu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for the hipsters rocking thom browne suits while they ride clipless
https://www.dromarti.com/index.php?ma...products_id=15
Old 07-02-09, 03:44 PM
TheBikeRollsOn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had no idea that 5 years ago when I was buying my pumas and onitsuka's that I still wear that they would be so awesome for biking, which I was not into at all in high school.
Old 07-02-09, 03:47 PM
Samwiches
breasts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
Do not underestimate the durability of Onitsuka Tigers...
Tigers are not durable in any way if you want my experience. They're very comfy slipper feeling shoes when you add simple, thin insoles, which is why I've owned six different pairs in four styles. They're very overpriced though.

All of them have zero support or structure, floppy foam-rubbery sole and they just plain tear when you get rowdy, scraping toes etc. The heel of the soles usually start separating within two months. Just garbage for anything athletic and I'm surprised my shoe thread got recommendations in there for them. They should be $40 shoes judging by the simple design and materials.

Originally Posted by Jenkinsal2
does anybody know of a decent looking shoe that doesnt have a flexy sole? I want something thats not cycling specific but something that I also cant bend in half.
The Adidas Goodyear driving shoes have been my favorite riding shoes for awhile. Very stiff sole. I even use them for the batting cages cause they're still as stiff as my baseball cleats, and my brown ones are two years old (and very beat.)

They come in a bunch of styles like Tigers. Get them in a style with a suede toe, not smooth leather cause those get torn up by cages.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_5i1798sfs_b

https://www.everyjoe.com/articles/adi...ving-shoe-624/
Old 07-02-09, 04:46 PM
steveymcdubs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBikeRollsOn
I had no idea that 5 years ago when I was buying my pumas and onitsuka's that I still wear that they would be so awesome for biking, which I was not into at all in high school.
sameeee
Old 07-02-09, 04:52 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you guys buying Tigers that they're "very overpriced"? I've never paid more than $65 for a pair.
Old 07-02-09, 06:39 PM
TheBikeRollsOn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine were like $35 I think