Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Zorge Bicycles: around 10 ever made

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 05:44 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

Hi all! An acquaintance has a Zorge bike (for sale) I thought some of you might be interested in seeing. I snapped a quick pic but I can take more detailed photos later:

I'd never heard of these until now: the person who has this bike knew the builder; I guess he was a German who lived in Phoenix, Arizona in the 70s/80s, and built maybe 10 frames total. There are some nice details on the frameset (i like the duckfeet bases for the TT cable guides), and everything seems to be holding strong after what has clearly been an active life.

If anyone here knows more about Zorge bicycles, I'd be keen to hear from you!
Likes For fvernon:
Old 08-23-23, 07:59 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Hmmm...

- old bike
- nice color
- my size
- for sale!
- I even like the dt decal

This is all good stuff! I'm assuming the reason why you already haven't bought from him is that it is either too big or too small for you.

Where's this thing located? Is that a bike shop?

Old 08-23-23, 11:48 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
The factory drillium Sugino chain rings say early 80s to me.

I do not need any more early 80s bikes and this is not my size, but I am in Phoenix regularly and could perhaps facilitate this going to a good home.
Old 08-24-23, 12:20 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Hmmm...

- old bike
- nice color
- my size
- for sale!

This is all good stuff! I'm assuming the reason why you already haven't bought from him is that it is either too big or too small for you.

thought you to be a seat tube 58 CTC kind o guy.

should I adjust my Aero-wind hunt accordingly?
Old 08-24-23, 07:11 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt

I do not need any more early 80s bikes and this is not my size, but I am in Phoenix regularly and could perhaps facilitate this going to a good home.
the brake reach appears earlier that the ‘short reach’
1980’s. The recessed brake mounting sets it 1977 onward.
the control tire with factor would be the chainstays.
Old 08-24-23, 08:32 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I am at my limit of bikes, alas, and this one looks a touch small for me anyway - but I DO like this bike. There is just something very right about it, to my eye, and were it mine it would get a good cleaning and waxing, every bearing repacked, maybe a few very judicious parts changes, a good saddle and fresh bar tape. Then ride it, soaking in all the miles it looks like it has already traveled. This one just has a good feel to me.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-24-23, 10:49 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Very proper bike. The details down to the cable guide ornaments are subtle yet striking. And orange paint just makes things go… faster.

As far as history goes, I have never heard of Zorge. It sounds like the acquaintance selling the bicycle might be one of the few (if only) individuals left who knows anything about them.
Old 08-24-23, 11:35 AM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Hmmm...

- old bike
- nice color
- my size
- for sale!

The reason I haven't bought it is really that I just can't justify another bike that fits within this particular geometry/ride quality genre. But, I agree the build looks to be of very high quality with some nice details. It's located in Flagstaff, Arizona and currently in the possession of a gent named Elson (the Sunlite Elson handlebar is named after him)--he's a fount of cycling history in Arizona and currently runs a funky bike junkyard/shop called Bici-Mundo.
Old 08-24-23, 11:37 AM
fvernon

Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Very proper bike. The details down to the cable guide ornaments are subtle yet striking. And orange paint just makes things go… faster.

As far as history goes, I have never heard of Zorge. It sounds like the acquaintance selling the bicycle might be one of the few (if only) individuals left who knows anything about them.
My understanding is there are a few folks in Phoenix who still have and ride their Zorge bikes, but I bet we could count on one hand who still knows about this particular builder
Old 08-24-23, 04:06 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
I’m not sure why, but I wish the marque included a couple exclamation points. Zorge!!! Somehow it just feels right…
Likes For jethin:
Old 08-24-23, 11:16 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by Robvolz
thought you to be a seat tube 58 CTC kind o guy.
I flex. Some days I wake up a 56cm guy. Other days I wake up a 58cm guy. Depends on what cool bikes I saw for sale the previous night.

Old 08-26-23, 08:52 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by albrt

Originally Posted by fvernon
The reason I haven't bought it is really that I just can't justify another bike that fits within this particular geometry/ride quality genre. But, I agree the build looks to be of very high quality with some nice details. It's located in Flagstaff, Arizona and currently in the possession of a gent named Elson (the Sunlite Elson handlebar is named after him)--he's a fount of cycling history in Arizona and currently runs a funky bike junkyard/shop called Bici-Mundo.
Thanks! I might call him, even just to hear more about the history of these frames. I'm curious, and they sound interesting. This bike fits within a Venn diagram I have between American builders and obscure bikes.

My other Venn diagram is 'American makes' and 'complete waste-of-time garbage'

Likes For AdventureManCO: