Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has demand dropped?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has demand dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 09:42 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Yep, the price of used bikes have gone down. I walked into one shop to sell my old bike. "Nope", I was told. "We're way overstocked in road bikes". Even Electric bikes are taken a hit right now. Hold on to you hats, boy. It's going to be a rough season for used bikes.
Doom for The Pro’s Closet.
Old 08-31-23, 12:50 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Doom for The Pro’s Closet.
They had a 2018 Emonda SLR in the 62cm size, which is perfect for me. Last year and well into this year it was $1900, then recently it dropped to $1300 and then to $900. Frameset was immaculate. Rim brake, super light, top spec, just what I was looking for in modern carbon. $900 was a solid sell price and it didn't last long. Maybe one day when I grow up I'll spend money all at once on a bike instead of the death-by-a-thousand-lesser-purchases I have employed so far... Kidding, I'll still do that.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 08-31-23, 02:07 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
I prefer to buy a nice frame and do à la carte build rather than spending money on a new bike that doesn't do it for me or isn't up to my tastes. Even if it is more expensive to make bike builds I would rather do it because you can chose the components you like and personalize the builds to your own tastes, refinements and needs. On the second hand market there are plenty of good deals to be made if you hunt and search well for bike parts, frames and complete bikes.

Last edited by georges1; 08-31-23 at 02:10 AM.
Likes For georges1:
Old 08-31-23, 07:13 AM
friendofpugs

Bikes: Trek Farley, Giant Trance X, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 31 Posts
First off, a hearty "Thanks!" for starting this topic, as it's something I've been wondering about myself. I stumbled into C&V about six years ago, and it didn't take long to discover that parting out bikes was more profitable than rehabbing them locally. Was I always into it for the money? No, but I'm a stay-at-home parent and selling on Ebay let me contribute to the household income, and made my wife happy with not having strangers come to the house to test ride bikes, etc. Plus I got to sample a lot of neat bikes for myself.

Anyways, this year my sales are down a solid 30% compared to last year, it's like a switch got flipped and demand dissipated, it was pretty abrupt. The good stuff still sells - Campy, Dura-Ace, Superbe - but at lower prices than in the past. The decent, mid-level stuff (Ultegra/105/Rival) just sits or you give it away for cheap. Anything below that, forgetaboutit. BMX is still crazy, if you can find it (though Old School has shifted to Mid-School), and vintage lugged mountain does well too, though mostly to fuel the BMX guys. Road bikes are down, unless it's top shelf stuff. Touring bike frames will eventually sell, but not like they have in the past.

I live in Wisconsin - Trekland - and I've seen decent vintage steel Treks just sit at prices that would've been snatched up in years past. I don't buy those great deals for $50-150 because I can't make anything on them parting them out, whereas before I would buy whatever I could to stuff my shed full of bikes to part out over our long winter. Now, my shed is empty. I've become much more picky about buying anything vintage, and I've been trying to buy newer stuff, but it's more expensive and the margins aren't like it was on the old stuff before. It seems like there's a strong demand for disc/tubeless bikes, and as such there are a ton of great, even high end, rim brake offerings that languish on the market. I find ok deals on CL but more on Marketplace.

As has already been stated, I think the original target demographic is aging out the market and switching to eBikes, if they are riding at all. By and large, the younger folks don't want rim brake, down tube shifters, quill stems regardless of tire clearance - they'd rather spend a little more and get a brand new (gravel) specimen. As a consequence, they don't need parts to upgrade or repair their vintage ride because they don't have one. I think the segment of mature "active" buyers who still ride and care about C&V stuff may still upgrade and repair their bikes, but you lot are pretty cheap because you can afford to be patient. You'll make your crazy lowball Best Offers and I'll probably accept it!

Personally, I love the aesthetic of vintage road bikes but I don't ride them much anymore myself as I don't ride on the road all that often. When I do, I have a Salsa Vaya with a very upright position that I prefer. I've mostly switched to mountain biking and am having a blast riding through the woods on my Surly fat tire bike.

Be good, have fun, and ride what you like - whatever it is - but just keep riding as long as you are able.
Old 08-31-23, 08:11 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by friendofpugs
First off, a hearty "Thanks!" for starting this topic, as it's something I've been wondering about myself. I stumbled into C&V about six years ago, and it didn't take long to discover that parting out bikes was more profitable than rehabbing them locally. Was I always into it for the money? No, but I'm a stay-at-home parent and selling on Ebay let me contribute to the household income, and made my wife happy with not having strangers come to the house to test ride bikes, etc. Plus I got to sample a lot of neat bikes for myself.

Anyways, this year my sales are down a solid 30% compared to last year, it's like a switch got flipped and demand dissipated, it was pretty abrupt. The good stuff still sells - Campy, Dura-Ace, Superbe - but at lower prices than in the past. The decent, mid-level stuff (Ultegra/105/Rival) just sits or you give it away for cheap. Anything below that, forgetaboutit. BMX is still crazy, if you can find it (though Old School has shifted to Mid-School), and vintage lugged mountain does well too, though mostly to fuel the BMX guys. Road bikes are down, unless it's top shelf stuff. Touring bike frames will eventually sell, but not like they have in the past.

I live in Wisconsin - Trekland - and I've seen decent vintage steel Treks just sit at prices that would've been snatched up in years past. I don't buy those great deals for $50-150 because I can't make anything on them parting them out, whereas before I would buy whatever I could to stuff my shed full of bikes to part out over our long winter. Now, my shed is empty. I've become much more picky about buying anything vintage, and I've been trying to buy newer stuff, but it's more expensive and the margins aren't like it was on the old stuff before. It seems like there's a strong demand for disc/tubeless bikes, and as such there are a ton of great, even high end, rim brake offerings that languish on the market. I find ok deals on CL but more on Marketplace.

As has already been stated, I think the original target demographic is aging out the market and switching to eBikes, if they are riding at all. By and large, the younger folks don't want rim brake, down tube shifters, quill stems regardless of tire clearance - they'd rather spend a little more and get a brand new (gravel) specimen. As a consequence, they don't need parts to upgrade or repair their vintage ride because they don't have one. I think the segment of mature "active" buyers who still ride and care about C&V stuff may still upgrade and repair their bikes, but you lot are pretty cheap because you can afford to be patient. You'll make your crazy lowball Best Offers and I'll probably accept it!

Personally, I love the aesthetic of vintage road bikes but I don't ride them much anymore myself as I don't ride on the road all that often. When I do, I have a Salsa Vaya with a very upright position that I prefer. I've mostly switched to mountain biking and am having a blast riding through the woods on my Surly fat tire bike.

Be good, have fun, and ride what you like - whatever it is - but just keep riding as long as you are able.
This is the definitive answer. We can probably close the thread now.
Old 08-31-23, 08:16 AM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 56 Posts
Newbie here. Thanks for educating me on the pitfalls. I get it. This thread helps.

I fall into that old guy with time on his hands and mechanical aptitude. We are fading.

I will allow that sellers on FB Marketplace, eBay and CL are delusional. Pitting rust requires sales of under $50 no matter WHAT it is.

I've learned to pay a bit more for restorable (read: clean, buff, and polish) than acquire rust. There is lots of rust out there.
Old 08-31-23, 08:27 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by friendofpugs

For someone that participates in this hobby to generate revenue (even just to support the hobby), things are looking pretty dim.

On the flipside however, if you are a rider that appreciates at the very top of all things, ultimately, the superb ride quality of some of the nicest lugged bikes ever made, but have since fallen out of favor due to no E-assist, no disc brakes, etc., then there is almost no better time to be alive.

We are entering a golden era.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 08-31-23, 12:34 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by kunsunoke
The demand curve is back to normal. There's no lock-downs from Wuhan Coronavirus anymore. The hipsters that used to buy old bikes at inflated prices are either completely broke (having been cut off of the trust fund dollars) or have become respectable and/or have kids. E-bikes are the next big thing, since fixed gears aren't going to cut it when you've gained 20-50 pounds from inactivity and too much PBR.

eBay USA is no longer a good source for C&V items at reasonable prices. It has been supplanted by eBay.fr, eBay.it, eBay.es and eBay.co.uk in that regard. tldr - If you want to get good deals, learn a romance language.
Yup, I won a couple of eBay auctions from eBay.fr last year and both sellers cancelled the deal because they did not want to he bothered by the cost of shipping to the US.
So, yes, there's a lot of reasonably priced C&V stuff in the EU and UK, but shipping cost is a big hurdle that's hard to avoid.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-31-23, 01:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
@friendofpugs

Great summary, rationale and perspective.

Sounds like you have it well sorted and I would posit that %30 drop is not as catastrophic as many here would believe although I suspect they are experiencing much more.

Granted %30 is straight off the top but reasonable if sustainable without redoubling your effort, if you're already too close to the rivet then it may not pencil out.

The easy money, that I was still too lazy, busy, distracted to chase is gone for the time being at least.

Those here wishing they were getting in now would be out of luck on the really good stuff that is delusionally priced and still diluted by much of the stuff we already got and have.

Many of mine would be insane prices now if even available, glad I got most of them when I did and have them now.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-31-23, 02:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I have never collected items just to own them, so I am probably the wrong person to weigh into this discussion or perhaps best suited! The C&V market is based on acquiring an item in perceived limited supply. There are tens of thousands of premium vintage bicycles in basements, garages and sheds, which rotate amongst decreasing demand, and prices can only go down. Please speak to any under-40-year-old cyclists about their collection, and it consists of a pragmatic group of usable current technology bikes. To expect these persons to start buying up dozens or, in some cases, hundreds of vintage bikes to place them in storage is unreasonable. It is also unreasonable to expect cyclists who have evolved riding modern technology bikes to transition to C&V bikes for their regular ride. For those who love collecting, enjoy this period of your life. Some regular posters on this forum have better bike collections than the inventories available at the best bike shops in the world in their heyday. All these bikes will return on the market within the next 10 - 15 years.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-31-23, 03:37 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
…All these bikes will return on the market within the next 10 - 15 years.
Nah, I’m gonna build a pyramid and take ‘em with me like Tut did.

Then I’m gonna race the devil and he’s gonna lay the Pope’s golden ‘Nago at my feet.
Likes For jethin:
Old 08-31-23, 04:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Has demand dropped?
Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back?
Old 08-31-23, 04:04 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
I prefer to buy a nice frame and do à la carte build rather than spending money on a new bike that doesn't do it for me or isn't up to my tastes. Even if it is more expensive to make bike builds I would rather do it because you can chose the components you like and personalize the builds to your own tastes, refinements and needs. On the second hand market there are plenty of good deals to be made if you hunt and search well for bike parts, frames and complete bikes.
This has certainly been and will continue to be my M.O. I do truly enjoy it. I imagine this is the same for many of us here.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 08-31-23, 06:02 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Please speak to any under-40-year-old cyclists about their collection, and it consists of a pragmatic group of usable current technology bikes. To expect these persons to start buying up dozens or, in some cases, hundreds of vintage bikes to place them in storage is unreasonable. It is also unreasonable to expect cyclists who have evolved riding modern technology bikes to transition to C&V bikes for their regular ride.
We agree on something! To my 17 year old and his disc braked, 29er 1x, my Cinelli is a mere curiosity, like the Black Phantom was to me in the 1980s. But as you know, I couldn’t care less about most of today’s technology. And since I’m not in this segment of the hobby to make money, I’d have no problem if the bottom fell out.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-31-23, 07:01 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
We agree on something! To my 17 year old and his disc braked, 29er 1x, my Cinelli is a mere curiosity, like the Black Phantom was to me in the 1980s. But as you know, I couldn’t care less about most of today’s technology. And since I’m not in this segment of the hobby to make money, I’d have no problem if the bottom fell out.
We also agree your Cinelli is stunning!
Old 09-01-23, 06:58 AM
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Those of us with limited storage coupled with limited but loving understanding on the part of the CFO, care about the money somewhat because: N+1 must eventually lead to N-1 and the next N+1 can only be justified if we can report at least nearly breaking even with the N-1. I'm seeing deals on models that I haven't yet tasted and I need to let last years riders go -- but not at significant loss. So the market has me stuck with some really nice bikes Money is not first but it is part of the game for me.
Valid points - In my situation, the COO keeps track of the finished inventory in "my" garage and the unfinished in "her" yard. There's a fine balance. As a retired business owner, I also have to battle the 35 years of profitability conditioning
Old 09-01-23, 08:39 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Tangential to the current discussion, I suppose, but I wonder how a 50-year-old carbon fiber frame would hold up against a 50-year-old steel frame…?
Old 09-01-23, 08:42 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I wonder how a 50-year-old carbon fiber frame would hold up against a 50-year-old steel frame…?
That's a rhetorical question, right?
Old 09-01-23, 09:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel

Maybe one day when I grow up I'll spend money all at once on a bike instead of the death-by-a-thousand-lesser-purchases I have employed so far... Kidding, I'll still do that.
I can sure relate to this statement. Honestly, I do not regret having gone the route I did. I would like to go down to 2 bikes, but, I have a couple of issues doing that. First, I like riding all 5 bikes and cannot commit to selling any of them. The second ties into the first, and the subject of this post. Looking at the prices of what I would be likely to get for any of the bikes, makes me think I should just hang on to all of them. The hassle of putting them on the market, dealing with prospective buyers, and the preparing to ship and actual cost of shipping, makes me think the return value on the bikes is not worth it. The 3 bikes I would likely let go might net $2000, likely a high estimate, that is not going to make any difference in my life. If I had another bike, or set of wheels, that I felt I just had to have, maybe it would be worth it for that. That, likely, is not going to happen.
Old 09-01-23, 10:02 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 138 Posts
Great thread for me to read as I’ve just recently returned to bicycling after an over decade hiatus. Keep it up all.

I have found myself with an appetite that feels unquenchable for perusing classifieds for that perfect bike. No, I haven’t found it yet……
Old 09-01-23, 10:28 AM
jet sanchEz

Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Yep, the party's over

Good thing that I only buy stuff in my size...

Bad thing is that I can't help but check CL and others and I'm amazed at the great deals....
Old 09-01-23, 10:36 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
Great thread for me to read as I’ve just recently returned to bicycling after an over decade hiatus. Keep it up all.

I have found myself with an appetite that feels unquenchable for perusing classifieds for that perfect bike. No, I haven’t found it yet……
Just keep buying, it will help distract you and eventually spin you off in other directions finding a ton of stuff you never knew you wanted.

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-01-23, 12:40 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
As a CV relative new person, i started buying with great fervor, iv'e picked up some nice stuff i have 12 or so bikes 7 built and 5 to build, i ride what takes my fancy but currently i am riding my Trek 500 which will come with me to L'Eroica Cali.. my wife will be bringing her 1982 Trek 613 with straight bars and a front triple...

id like to sell/dispose of a few but iv'e all but given up on here, you lot are a bunch of cheap *astards lol the only ones looking are we/us and we already have lots of bikes... i currently have a Puch Luzerne frame in black which is in very good shape, i stripped it of its grouppo Shimano 600 arabesque and will likely donate the frame although i'm reluctant to do that, i also stripped a rough looking Raleigh Comp GS for its Grouppo which is mostly Campy gran Sport to build my Trek 937 frame i bought on here, i guess the Gran Sport and the Puch have value both are 531, but shipping ugggg the cost has gone up to where it kills these good but what i consider mid grade frames/bikes ... i think the only hope is to offer them for shipping plus $50 for packing to get them to a good home.. Trouble is for $50.00 i have to go to the local bike shop get a box, pack the frame arrange shipping do a packing job drop it off to fedex, its hardly worth it for $50.00 easier to just drop them off at the local bike co-op.

Roll on retirement 12 months or so for me...!!!
Old 09-01-23, 02:26 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary12000
for $50.00, i have to go to the local bike shop get a box, pack the frame, arrange shipping, do a packing job, drop it off to fedex...
Let the buyer arrange shipping with bikeflights, send you a label, and the carrier will pick it up at your place on the day you choose.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-01-23, 07:14 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Specialized stumpjumper vs Bridgestone MB-1

A bit of a topic drift but somewhat related to demand....

I'm looking at a lugged Specialized Stumpjumper with a replaced fork but everything else is original and from the photos, it looks very clean. The other one is an all original RB-1 with Ritchey fork and crank. Both are my size.

Stumpjumper is $250
MB-1 may be $400

I may end up with both against better judgements because i have bikes that i want to unload and it is not going well. What do you guys think about those prices in light of the drop in demand?

Thanks

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 09-01-23 at 07:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.