Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pitch Chromed Steel 27s and install modern Aluminum 700c. How hard?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pitch Chromed Steel 27s and install modern Aluminum 700c. How hard?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-23, 11:30 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
The not being able to pass up a good deal on a bike obsession really needs to end!
🤣🤣 Good one…
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 10-16-23, 06:26 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
I don't know why you want to go 700c, it is a lot of work for no real benefit on your type of bicycle. From the 1970s through this year, I have put many, many thousands of miles and hours into riding 27:" steel rimmed road bikes. I also have more than one with 700c rims. My main concern about riding the 27" bikes is having tires that do not get flatted easily by debris on the road, and both Kenda and Pasela Protite tires have worked great over the past several thousand miles on these bikes. I have one aluminum rimmed bike with 700c size wheels that brakes much worse than my 27" bikes, it is because of the design of the brake calipers, so I will replace those with a different brand. I have ridden four bikes with steel rims and center-pull brakes over the last few years and they all braked great with new pads and everything set up and maintained properly.

Usually switching a 27" bike to 700c means a compromise on your braking because the calipers are mounted an inch further from the axle centerline than on a 700c bike, so you either have your pads moved way down to the end of their arm and that makes poor leverage, or you have some hokey special bolt to drop the caliper lower and that makes the mounting less stiff.

If you want to ride and have casual fun or tour, then stick with 27" especially on a heavy bike. If you want to race and use the special 700c racing tires, then just buy a cheap used bike from the late 80s or 90s that already has the 700c rims. You will be able to buy that whole bike cheaper than you can buy all the parts to swap over an older bike to the later rim size.

I mostly use my 700c bike for racing and speed attempts, and when I want to do training, casual riding, running errands or touring I like the 27" bike with some nice fat 30mm to 34mm wide tires on it.

I rhink i's not an inch difference in brake reach, more like 4 mm: (630 -622)/2 = 4 mm difference in rim radius.
Old 10-16-23, 06:43 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I rhink i's not an inch difference in brake reach, more like 4 mm: (630 -622)/2 = 4 mm difference in rim radius.
The brake mount holes on a Schwinn Paramount made for 700c wheels is one inch closer to the axle centers than Schwinn road bikes sold with 27" wheels.
Old 10-17-23, 11:27 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
The not being able to pass up a good deal on a bike obsession really needs to end!
Good luck with that.