Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can this rust bucket be saved?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 04:46 PM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Hi Guys,

Looking at this rust bucket of a frame, does this look like it can be saved? Does it look like the rust can be dealt with while keeping the frame sound for some hard riding? Any tips for what to look out for when evaluating rust buckets like this? Seller also says the RD hanger may be bent. Looks pretty straight to me though. Thoughts?

Insights very much appreciated

Old 09-16-23, 04:55 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
No. Send to me for immediate disposal.
Likes For jethin:
Old 09-16-23, 05:01 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

just think how superleggero it shall become when you give it an immersion in your favourite rust removal dip...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-16-23, 05:01 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
That's really not much rust. I wouldn't worry about the integrity of the frame at all. I don't worry until a frame shows significant signs of multiple layers of rust, like rust flakes. The thing with rust, though is that you lose a lot of paint fixing the rust. You need to factor that into what you're willing to pay. Are you going to be happy with mismatched paint? Are you willing to repaint or powder coat the entire frame? Those thing detract from the resale value of the bike and add to your cost to get it rideable. I worry much more about that than I do about frame failure.
Old 09-16-23, 05:07 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Here's an example of a rusty bike I bought.

This was a 1979 Centurion Elite, complete bike for $60. Without the rust, that bike would probably sell from about $200 around here. Rust scares a lot of people away. I stripped this one down to bare metal, sanded off the rust, and spray painted it. Here's the bare metal. No sign of the rust.

After paint

You have to be a little more careful with really high end frames because the steel is sometimes very thin in the centers of the tubes. Also, with a really nice frame you probably won't want to paint it yourself or powder coat it, so that can turn into a money pit in a hurry.
Old 09-17-23, 12:57 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo, but the RD hanger does look a bit wonky. Fairly straight forward process to bring it back in line though.

Interesting placement of the cable guide and chain hanger, the latter probably makes more sense than on the seat stay.

What’s the frame? Looks decent.
Old 09-17-23, 01:51 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by Andy_K
That's really not much rust. I wouldn't worry about the integrity of the frame at all. I don't worry until a frame shows significant signs of multiple layers of rust, like rust flakes. The thing with rust, though is that you lose a lot of paint fixing the rust. You need to factor that into what you're willing to pay. Are you going to be happy with mismatched paint? Are you willing to repaint or powder coat the entire frame? Those thing detract from the resale value of the bike and add to your cost to get it rideable. I worry much more about that than I do about frame failure.
By flakes of rust do you mean like when chainrings deteriorate and break apart in flakes? I dont have a photo but the Nakagawa I bought, the chainrings looked like several sheets of paper glued together coming apart. What about rust inside the internal cable routing? Is this easy/safe to fix if dunked in rust converter? Im assuming the dropouts which are likely chromed will have to be painted as well?

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Here's an example of a rusty bike I bought.

This was a 1979 Centurion Elite, complete bike for $60. Without the rust, that bike would probably sell from about $200 around here. Rust scares a lot of people away. I stripped this one down to bare metal, sanded off the rust, and spray painted it. Here's the bare metal. No sign of the rust.

After paint

You have to be a little more careful with really high end frames because the steel is sometimes very thin in the centers of the tubes. Also, with a really nice frame you probably won't want to paint it yourself or powder coat it, so that can turn into a money pit in a hurry.
Wow great examples! This gives me hope. I am willing to have the bike repainted. I will likely use a local auto shop that does good work, they charge about 100USD for any number of color combos which I am willing to spend. I have found cheaper but I was not happy with their samples.
Old 09-17-23, 02:03 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Originally Posted by P!N20
Hard to tell from the photo, but the RD hanger does look a bit wonky. Fairly straight forward process to bring it back in line though.

Interesting placement of the cable guide and chain hanger, the latter probably makes more sense than on the seat stay.

What’s the frame? Looks decent.
Looks like 2 options for the chain hanger? If they are still good I will prob use rubber heat shrink hose to cover them after the repaint. Can the state of rust complicate the straigtening of the hanger? She is made by Honjo, a Keirin builder under the name Presto in Tottori Japan. No idea on the tubing since no stickers are available but I am guessing either Columbus spirit/max/forcella or what looks to be custom Kaisei? Presto seems to use Columbus a lot. Sometimes the frames have a made by Honjo sticker marked K850 which seems to me like custom Kaisei maybe? I seem to have developed an addiction for Keirin builder road bike frames haha.
Likes For LeSexyFishorse:
Old 09-17-23, 02:24 AM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 32 Posts
Nope that amount of rust would not scare me, specially if this is a rarer of unusual frame. Most rust on bikes is surface rust, after a good rub of sandblast it will turn out nice. But the RD hanger certainly needs some attention. Make sure there are no cracks in it.
Old 09-17-23, 03:01 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Can the state of rust complicate the straigtening of the hanger?
Again, hard to tell just by looking at photos, but looks to be OK where the RD hanger meets the dropout. Like most things frame related; easy does it.

Originally Posted by LeSexyFishorse
Columbus spirit/max/forcella or what looks to be custom Kaisei? Presto seems to use Columbus a lot.
Well we can rule out MAX because the tubes are round. Forcella is Italian for fork. Any splines in the steerer tube?
Old 09-17-23, 02:36 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Not so bad. I've seen a lot worse make a full recovery.