Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 08:49 PM
Folsomjack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head early polymer suspension

Had it a long time just posted it on CL an hour ago NOW I will attempt to post a photo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sale12 042.jpg (105.3 KB, 344 views)
sale12 045.jpg (104.5 KB, 308 views)
Old 08-15-13, 08:50 PM
Folsomjack

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Folsomjack;15965892]Had it a long time just posted it on CL an hour ago NOW I will attempt to post a photo![/QUOWTE]
Old 08-16-13, 08:29 AM
Aemmer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You guys are good. I think I will save both those pics. This one will give it away and possibly produce some pics of Red alligators. Don't have a good pic of the whole bike to show yet:

Old 08-16-13, 01:47 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Very nice. You have nice bikes. MTB's of this era are rare in Europe. My oldest bike is a Goat from '88. Oh ...and the answer on your quiz is Moots. The last pic gave it away. Looking forward to more pics.
Old 08-16-13, 02:38 PM
Aemmer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks,
looking for specific bikes in the right size can be tough to find here also. I have seen your collection. it is nice. Most of my MTB's predate your Goat by a few years. The Moots was made in 84. I do have an 1983 Mtn Goat Deluxe I have been collecting parts for now for about a year. Getting close. My passion just happens to be the early bikes.
Old 08-17-13, 06:55 AM
Elev12k

Overhere many in particlar small schools are shutting down. A collector-friend bought an old school and is planning to establish a mountainbike museum. He has hundreds of bikes. In his collection are extremely rare bikes, but the number pre '87 bikes can be counted on one or two hands. They would have to be imported from the US.

Personally I prefer the ride of my late 80s mountainbikes over the somewhat later Yo-Eddy-style cockpit bikes. The more relaxed position and the feel of total control (however this is personal) is what appeal to me.
Old 08-17-13, 08:44 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
Overhere many in particlar small schools are shutting down. A collector-friend bought an old school and is planning to establish a mountainbike museum. He has hundreds of bikes. In his collection are extremely rare bikes, but the number pre '87 bikes can be counted on one or two hands. They would have to be imported from the US.

Personally I prefer the ride of my late 80s mountainbikes over the somewhat later Yo-Eddy-style cockpit bikes. The more relaxed position and the feel of total control (however this is personal) is what appeal to me.
That is awesome. Where?
Old 08-17-13, 09:43 AM
neo_pop_71

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
I hadn't thought of that, other than, "I'd better get something decent soon because pretty soon it will be too cold to ride." I figure I've got another good month at least of bike commuting almost every day, and I'm less than overjoyed riding a full-suspension Mongoose currently as a commuter.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm learning a ton just lurking and reading as much as I can.
Hey Squeeze-

I hit my buddy up to see if there were any good deals on rigid mountain bikes in your area, plenty of nice "tall" road bikes but slim pickings for trail bikes. He did find this one:
https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/4000800618.html

We both agreed it would definitely be worth checking out, the bike looks to be original and not messed with... always cool to find an old stock bike! If you end up buying this beauty, you can join frantik's Chainstay Brake Mafia, you gotta love the look of clean seat stays! I'm also digging the idea of swapping the u-brakes out down the line for a matching set of roller cam brakes, the brake mounts are the same and roller cam brakes would really set this bike off (but that's just me)!

Here is a bit about the '86 Mt. Hood from the Ross section of MOMBAT:
https://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Ross.html

Also, here is another Ross Mt. Hood Hi-Tech (1987) that matches the one above near you, they want $1,379.00 for their Mt. Hood and it appears to be in similar condition. I'm thinkin' $85.00 or best offer is a fair price for an American made mountain bike.
https://budgetbicyclectr.com/1987-ros...ycle-2610.html

Good luck!

-D-
Attached Images
RossMtHood.jpg (101.1 KB, 365 views)
RossMtHood2.jpg (84.5 KB, 324 views)
RossMtHood3.jpg (91.8 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 08-17-13 at 09:56 AM. Reason: bad link
Old 08-17-13, 10:55 AM
Elev12k

Originally Posted by Italuminium
That is awesome. Where?
That will be in Arnhem. Hopefully we'll see the first result of his efforts upcoming spring.
Old 08-17-13, 11:54 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
That will be in Arnhem. Hopefully we'll see the first result of his efforts upcoming spring.
I'm looking forward to it. Plenty of good riding near arnhem too, though I never used a MTB there.
Old 08-17-13, 02:30 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Hey Squeeze-

I hit my buddy up to see if there were any good deals on rigid mountain bikes in your area, plenty of nice "tall" road bikes but slim pickings for trail bikes. He did find this one:

We both agreed it would definitely be worth checking out, the bike looks to be original and not messed with... always cool to find an old stock bike! If you end up buying this beauty, you can join frantik's Chainstay Brake Mafia, you gotta love the look of clean seat stays! I'm also digging the idea of swapping the u-brakes out down the line for a matching set of roller cam brakes, the brake mounts are the same and roller cam brakes would really set this bike off (but that's just me)!

Also, here is another Ross Mt. Hood Hi-Tech (1987) that matches the one above near you, they want $1,379.00 for their Mt. Hood and it appears to be in similar condition. I'm thinkin' $85.00 or best offer is a fair price for an American made mountain bike.

Good luck!

-D-
Just be aware that the stem quill is .833" (or is it .883? I can never remember...) and not interchangeable with standard 1" quill stems. Looks to be a cool bike though. I've always wanted a chainstay and fork U-Brake bike. Don't know why other than that they are funky.
Old 08-17-13, 02:32 PM
Smokinapankake

Originally Posted by Aemmer
You guys are good. I think I will save both those pics. This one will give it away and possibly produce some pics of Red alligators. Don't have a good pic of the whole bike to show yet:

I'd LOVE a steel Moots Mountaineer. Right up there with an early Fat City or Yeti. More pics please!
Old 08-17-13, 11:45 PM
Aemmer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The only Fat I have found was too small for me and a friend took it off my hands the same day I got it. As far as Yeti's go, I have never had one personally but I did get this one for my oldest son put together as our father son project a year ago:

It would be fun to find either of those bikes in the right size but I tend to get hung up on the N. Ca builders fo the most part.

Another close up of the red bike. Shoulder strap:

Old 08-18-13, 05:54 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Hey Squeeze-

Good luck!

-D-
love that bike hope someone picks it up. and Neo Pop I agree that a front roller cam would look way better than the front ubrake
Old 08-18-13, 09:16 AM
neo_pop_71

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Just be aware that the stem quill is .833" (or is it .883? I can never remember...) and not interchangeable with standard 1" quill stems. Looks to be a cool bike though. I've always wanted a chainstay and fork U-Brake bike. Don't know why other than that they are funky.
Smokinapankake is spot on for pointing that out, nice catch! I wouldn't consider swapping out the stem, I dig those mid-80's stems with plenty of height and reach. The last one I had with a similar stem, I made the adjustments to the cockpit with the seat position and a bar with a different sweep. That stem is a survivor, it's managed to stay together for the first 25 years... a CNC'ed Thomson stem would look out of place on that bike!

Frantik is right, the rear u-brake could stay as it really doesn't need to be swapped (unless you absolutely wanted a matching set. I would but whatever), but the front needs the beauty of a roller cam brake! A single roller cam brake could be picked up pretty affordably on here in the ISO section or on Ebay. I just love the look of the roller cam brake, it's unique to the time period that the Mt. Hood was made, so aesthetically it's perfect with that bike!

Here is a fabulous photo of aemmer's Ritchey... the roller cam brake adds to the beauty... where as most brakes detract!

(Hey aemmer, are you finished enjoying my Ritchey yet? The bike hook is getting dusty!)

Squeeze, keep us posted!

-D-
Attached Images
Dirtdrop1.jpg (98.0 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 08-18-13 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-18-13, 01:36 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
neo pop now i want to join the Front Rollercam Mafia
Old 08-19-13, 08:23 AM
neo_pop_71

Originally Posted by frantik
neo pop now i want to join the Front Rollercam Mafia
Yeah man, aemmer's dirt drop Ritchey has a hypnotic quality... makes you want to pledge allegiance to roller cam Ritchey bikes from the '80's. T. (aemmer) also has some awesome actions shots of the bike with his super cool pooch running along, I would be more than happy to adopt both and give them a loving home!
Old 08-19-13, 08:31 AM
jayson44

Bikes: 1984 Norco Sasquatch, 2007 Bianchi Rita SS, 2010 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aemmer

Another close up of the red bike. Shoulder strap:

um...is this the Moots that has frequented Monkey Wrench Cycles in the past? if so, I've often offered to buy it from Nate. but it was never his to sell.

probably my all-time favorite MTB ever.

J.
Old 08-19-13, 09:06 AM
Aemmer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jayson44
um...is this the Moots that has frequented Monkey Wrench Cycles in the past? if so, I've often offered to buy it from Nate. but it was never his to sell.

probably my all-time favorite MTB ever.

J.
Ummm,
There can't be too many early creamy red ones out there that are my size. It wasn't ever Nates to sell, but yes, this is the red Moots that has spent a lot of time at MWC. Figured someone would ask eventually.
Absolutely one of the prettiest MTB's I have ever seen and like you, I have been admiring it for years. Blessed that now I get to ride it.
Old 08-19-13, 09:11 AM
jayson44

Bikes: 1984 Norco Sasquatch, 2007 Bianchi Rita SS, 2010 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's so cool. I love seeing where all those bike he's had end up. enjoy it! it's probably one of the only bikes that MWC had that was actually my size, too. haha. I'll find one some day. probably not that exact one, but I'll find one.

J.
Old 08-19-13, 09:47 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I am curious? Were there ever any mtb's that had the flair of something 70's Euro style? Like two tone paint, chromed Nervex lugs, etc? I've always had it in the back of my mind to get into frame building, and make a limited run of vintage styled frames like that. Just over the top, with ornate striped lugs, built in housing stops front and rear(brakes), three water bottle mounts, front/rear rack mounts, etc etc. Maybe even chrome fork ends and rear triangle. Something that will make even the average bike enthusiast stare.,,,,BD

That Mountaineer comes close to what is in my head....
Old 08-19-13, 03:10 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-to-Fairfax-CA

https://i419.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps8c2c781d.jpg

Last edited by curbtender; 08-19-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-19-13, 03:36 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Looks like its been well preserved. That model is from the early 90's (92/93ish) -- the Sorrento is a budget oriented bike (cheap seatpost, steel bars, among other things) - but has decent serviceable Shimano components

For $145 , it would get you rolling --- you could always stay on the lookout for a Cannondale while you are getting some exercise and enjoying the scenery on the DB

$145 to me is not cost prohibitive for that bike if it allows you to get out and enjoy the ride --- to put it in another perspective, that's just a couple months membership at the YMCA

Like "Lester of Puppets" said, DB makes a wide range of bikes, but the Sorrento was a "bikestore bike" back then -- likely cost around 300 bucks or so 20 years ago
Old 08-19-13, 07:08 PM
Smokinapankake

I think Colnago came close in about 1987 with their Ibex Mountain Master (or something like that). Funky fluted downtube, sexy straight bladed fork, chrome lugs, and a trademark Colnago paint job. There was one posted here some time ago. Nummy indeed.

Edit: Not chromed lugs, not fluted downtube, rather painted lugs and square section top and downtubes. Still the killer Colnago paint and sexy fork, though. It would be enough to make me do a double take, for sure.

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 08-19-13 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Corrected information
Old 08-19-13, 07:09 PM
pcdmiele

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I am curious? Were there ever any mtb's that had the flair of something 70's Euro style? Like two tone paint, chromed Nervex lugs, etc? I've always had it in the back of my mind to get into frame building, and make a limited run of vintage styled frames like that. Just over the top, with ornate striped lugs, built in housing stops front and rear(brakes), three water bottle mounts, front/rear rack mounts, etc etc. Maybe even chrome fork ends and rear triangle. Something that will make even the average bike enthusiast stare.,,,,BD

That Mountaineer comes close to what is in my head....
Look back in this thread(not sure how to make a link) to the Diamond Back RidgeRunner I restored for a neighbor. It had fancy lugs with highlites. it was black with chromed seat stays and forks(under the original paint) that I exposed. ALL kinds of brazeons and rack mounts. and it rode wonderfully. I miss that bike

royal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.