Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Fit on a LHT

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Fit on a LHT

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya 57cm

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fit on a LHT

So much helpful information on this site! For those who fit folks on bikes, or have a lot of experience in this area, I'd really appreciate your helping me decide on the fit for a Long Haul Trucker. I'm coming from a flat bar hybrid world -- having just sold my Trek FX 7.2, 22.5" -- to the drop bar world and its different geometries. I'm looking at the LHT, Cross Check, and Vaya.

One of the things I'm struggling with is what feels right compared to what should feel right, given my dimensions and stature. I sit in front of a computer all day, and on top of that, I work out 4 days a week, doing a lot of posterior chain work (deadlifts, back squats, front squats, back extensions). Long story short, my back, hams, and glutes tend to be shortened and tight. I'm working on lengthening and stretching more than I used to, and have seen some progress.

But as you can see in the pic of me on a LHT yesterday, my back is rounded a bit -- but on the bike it felt fine. And I think the bike looks too small for me (I know looks don't matter, but as far as 'fit' goes, I wonder what experienced folks would think....this particular LBS doesn't seem to take a very serious approach to fit (click for larger image):

Soooo...I found the LHT google group database the other day, and most folks who are my height (6'-1/2") are getting 58cm LHTs. I rode a 58 and found that I felt too extended; sliding my hands about 1.5 - 2" back from the hoods felt more comfortable. The stem on the 58 was at max height, with 4 spacers under it. Nothing else about it felt too big. I then rode a 56; I felt comfortably extended, saddle height and horizontal position seemed right.

Would appreciate folks taking a look at the picture of me on the 56 and letting me know what, if anything, you see that would help me decide on the right frame size. If I get the 56, my expectation is that, as I loosen up, I will naturally, and more comfortably, extend -- requiring a longer-than-stock stem -- which may affect handling (anyone with experience with this scenario?) If I get the 58, I will definitely have to get a shorter stem, possibly narrower bars, and may have to move the saddle forward a tad to be comfortable now, and then move to longer stem, and move the saddle back as I become more comfortable.

Here are some LHT geometry numbers for reference.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but this is a lot of cash for me and I'm really trying to get it right. Thanks for any opinions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lht-profile-cut.jpg (92.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by 165; 08-10-14 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-14, 07:43 PM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You asked for opinions. Looks to me like you need a larger frame. Stem changes/saddle adjustments are pretty easy to help with the positioning. Communicate with some of those tall guys on the LHT d-base.
Old 08-14-14, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya 57cm

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for taking a look, ofgit. After riding the 56 LHT I rode a 56 and a 57 Vaya 3. The 57 Vaya felt really good -- buying it this weekend.

Though they have the same effective top tube length, the significant differences between the two, for me, were:
- Vaya has slightly slacker seat and head tube angles
- Vaya has 1.3" longer head tube
- Vaya has slightly longer fork

...all resulting in a more comfortable fit. Though plenty of folks take their LHT's off road, I believe the Vaya design is more slanted towards gravel/light off-roading than the LHT, while still being a great touring bike.