Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

When to get fit

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

When to get fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 02:57 AM
abrown3mtg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When to get fit

It's been a long time since I got into the sport. I've done a lot of trial and error fittings for myself when I was cash sensitive and ultimately can get myself sorted pretty easily.

That said, I was tasked with getting a good friend of mine with no cycling background a solid bike within a very reasonable budget. I sent her to a respectable bike shop and determined she would be between a 52 and 54 wsd,
Trek. I ended up scoring her a Domane 5.2 wsd in great shape for 900.00

My question is would you suggest I do an eyeball fitting for saddle height and fore/aft and play with through stems stack height and orientation than send her off for a few rides to get a baseline before going to get a more mid level pro fit and replace any components necessary to achieve something more optimal, or send her straight to the shop to get it dialed from then start? She can afford either option but never considered this position from a day one type of rider starting point.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited by abrown3mtg; 06-12-18 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 01:06 PM
guidosan

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not sue I understand, did she buy the bike at the bike shop you sent her? If so, then shouldn't they do a fitting for her, at least something between eyeballing the fit and a top shelf experience? Just my opinion, if the shop won't do a free fitting, then it depends on your confidence level. Do it yourself or have her pay for a fitting.
But then again, just an opinion.
Old 06-15-18, 04:15 AM
abrown3mtg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. She went to a shop that primarily sells trek. They told her she was a 52 or 54. I found her an amazing deal on a use deal on a 54 domane. My question was should I send her out for a few rides before she pays for a proper fitting or do it now before her first ride. I can do some basic adjustements to saddle height and stack height on the stem but am guesssing it will require a few changes to be optimal. I have done all my fittings with a base of riding to know what feels good and what doesn't. I just don't know how to steer someone with zero saddle time into the right decision (other than a Domane 5.2 for 900.00)
Old 06-16-18, 03:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by abrown3mtg
I just don't know how to steer someone with zero saddle time into the right decision (other than a Domane 5.2 for 900.00)

You can't. They have got to get experience so they can relate to what you already have learned yourself. Even if you think there are better choices, let them take some of their own direction when the choice meets the criteria (which is sometimes a moving target). Just keep them from making an extremely bad decision when possible. A year or two serious riding and they'll make a better more informed choice next time. As well, your input will be more understood by them.
Old 06-20-18, 09:02 AM
guidosan

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I get it, I don't think there is a wrong way to go. As you mention that she has zero saddle time, then a few rides may be a good idea to help her get a feel for the bike and riding position. If she notices any issues with her back or legs she can then address them with the fitter. She can also ask the fitter about the bike and shifting and other things. But really the gain from a few rides will be minimal and if you just decide to get fitted without riding a few times, no harm there either..
Old 06-20-18, 09:37 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
For many people, competently applied fitting "rules of thumb" are all the fitting they need. So if you are reasonably confident in your methods, I would help her set up her saddle and reach, cleats, etc and send her out on the road. If she is one of those people that is athletically adaptable, she might do very well.

And, it is much harder to perform a real studio fit on someone who has no idea how anything should feel.
Old 07-02-18, 03:44 AM
abrown3mtg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all. I raised the stem a bit (it was completely slammed by the prior owner that raced) and got the saddle in a good spot. She had the width of her sit bones measured and we knew from the start that the saddle on the bike with very unlikely to work. A very good local female shop employee/fitter gave it a once over and seemed to share my sentiments. Considering how nervous she was before her first ride, I was blown away by how quick she has caught on. Her first ride (only 14 miles) She was pushing 17-19 mph stretches until we had to stop and wait for her boyfriend hahaha. Subsequent 19 and 25 mile rides she did just as well. She crushes the hills and doesn't complain. She also seems to like to rub her calf on the chainring (I can't tell if it's when she is stopped or riding yet, but her new nickname "Sprocket" has been fun.

Visually I'd say that a slightly shorter stem would be ideal but she hasn't complained of any shoulder or neck pain. The saddle seems to be her only point of discomfort. We are going to try a saddle that better supports her before I explain fully that it's the hardest part of this sport to get dialed for most people.

She may go in and do the base level fit that is only 50.00 (And I know who the fitter is). At least now she does have a decent idea of how it feels now and can see if any other configuration feels better.
Old 07-02-18, 10:53 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by abrown3mtg
She had the width of her sit bones measured and we knew from the start that the saddle on the bike with very unlikely to work. A very good local female shop employee/fitter gave it a once over and seemed to share my sentiments.

Visually I'd say that a slightly shorter stem would be ideal but she hasn't complained of any shoulder or neck pain. The saddle seems to be her only point of discomfort. We are going to try a saddle that better supports her before I explain fully that it's the hardest part of this sport to get dialed for most people.
Cyclists don't sit on their sit bones, they sit on the narrower ischium, which is impossible to measure because it is dependant on pelvic angle. Please stop using Specialized's marketing to select saddles. We have plenty of customer with 150 sit bones comfortably riding out 135mm wide saddle.
Old 07-03-18, 04:35 AM
abrown3mtg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Cyclists don't sit on their sit bones, they sit on the narrower ischium, which is impossible to measure because it is dependant on pelvic angle. Please stop using Specialized's marketing to select saddles. We have plenty of customer with 150 sit bones comfortably riding out 135mm wide saddle.
Very valid point. I don't for a second believe I have a fraction of your fitting knowledge! My conclusion came from the anticipation from the shop employee who said it was worth a shot and to not hold her breath, along with the fix from my questions it seemed to be general soft tissue pain rather on any boney contact point (for failure to explain well). She can buy/exchange/return (for store credit) any saddle for 30 days. Being new to riding an how much she put down her first week I could imagine any saddle causing pain. Getting in/a basic fitting and fresh saddle will hopefully have at minimum a placebo effect along with simple saddle time to go along with it.

I know first had how hard it can be to find the right one. I'm about to switch up my road saddle pretty soon myself (and hope that the new power or power arc is a better match for me than the Zoncolan fx I've ridden the last couple seasons.

Thank you again for your feedback. I'll report back if she has any luck with a swap.