Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dérailleur attachment to dropout

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 11:31 AM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cervélo Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

hi and thank you to those who helped me recently with my question about hub spacing. Wheel fits great without cold setting. SAME BIKE NEW QUESTION: this Suntour rear derailleur came off this bike, but when I go to put back on it looks like I’m missing a part…would it stay on just by virtue of tightening axle? That doesn’t seem right. I’d drill a hole but there’s no enough room to do so? Any advice is much welcome!!

Old 08-24-21, 11:39 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
That 'claw' derailleur hanger is supposed to be used with a bolt and D-shaped nut that fits into the back of the dropout.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-24-21, 11:41 AM
ClydeClydeson

Linky: https://comrade-cycles.shoplightspee...-bolt-nut.html
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-24-21, 02:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
That 'claw' derailleur hanger is supposed to be used with a bolt and D-shaped nut that fits into the back of the dropout.
Or if you want the axle to sit further back in the drop out you drill & tap a hole in the dropout that corresponds to the hole in the claw.
Old 08-24-21, 02:05 PM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by dedhed
Or if you want the axle to sit further back in the drop out you drill & tap a hole in the dropout that corresponds to the hole in the claw.
I suppose that might work, but I wouldn't do it - this will remove material from the dropout, and 'claw' derailleur hangers are generally used on thinner stamped steel dropouts, and often on frames made from cheaper steel, so I wouldn't assume they have a lot of material to spare. OP mentioned this and, rightly, had the same concern.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-24-21, 02:50 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I suppose that might work, but I wouldn't do it - this will remove material from the dropout, and 'claw' derailleur hangers are generally used on thinner stamped steel dropouts, and often on frames made from cheaper steel, so I wouldn't assume they have a lot of material to spare. OP mentioned this and, rightly, had the same concern.
Agree, don't drill, get the proper hanger bolt. If you drill you also might need to readjust brake pads to make proper contact with your rim due to it sitting back further in the dropouts.

Old 08-24-21, 03:25 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 2,056 Posts
You're adding an 1/8" thick reinforcing plate to the dropout as well as filling the hole with a bolt when you bolt the claw to it.
Old 08-24-21, 09:03 PM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cervélo Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
yes! Thank you! I had that tiny piece in my bike bucket. It’s a good old Suntour so looking forward to cabling it up. Thanks again. Chris

Old 08-25-21, 07:13 AM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by dedhed
You're adding an 1/8" thick reinforcing plate to the dropout as well as filling the hole with a bolt when you bolt the claw to it.
when doing a stress calculation of a part with a bolt hole, you do not include the bolt in the calculations.