Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help with bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 06:34 AM
jjwmonsta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with bike

Hello,

I am a newbie to cycling. With unfortunately a very busy life between work and family I have little time to dedicate to research!

I bought a wahoo snap earlier this year along with a second hand road bike. I enjoy Zwift and it’s getting me fit. However I decided to splurge on a smart trainer and upgraded to a wahoo kickr latest model.

Here is the problem though. The bike I have is an 8 speed, 11-21 cassette, Shimano Sora rd 3300 rear derailleur with an isis 53/39 crank. It’s a Raleigh cross sport road bike 700c. I paid like $170 for it. I guess I had to start somewhere.

How do make it compatible with a wahoo kickr that comes with the 11-32 cassette? I would like to avoid buying a new bike.

Thanks so much for any help!
Old 09-29-21, 10:41 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
If you have the RD-3300-GS type, then you can simply change the cassette, lengthen the chain (new), and go. If you have the -SS type, then the cage may not be long enough to accommodate the needed chain wrap. So, you'll need a longer cage 8-speed Shimano compatible rear derailleur, and there are many of those, including Microshift, as long as they are compatible with the shifters (same actuation ratio).

Simple job, and less than $50-55 in parts if your derailleur is okay. Where do you live?
Old 09-29-21, 11:06 AM
jjwmonsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in Pewaukee, Wisconsin.

would I need to buy a 11-28 cassette too? Or use the cassette that comes with the kickr?
Old 09-29-21, 12:23 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by jjwmonsta

would I need to buy a 11-28 cassette too? Or use the cassette that comes with the kickr?
I wouldn't know. Did you try it onto your freehub?
Old 09-29-21, 01:44 PM
jjwmonsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I wouldn't know. Did you try it onto your freehub?
Not yet. I will try and tinker around tonight. I wish I had more time to spend on the bike. It fascinating how the mechanics work.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-29-21, 07:37 PM
jjwmonsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I found out it is a short cage derailleur. So I think I would need a mid size derailleur for this to work.

I looked around and came across a shimano Claris rd2000 that is mid cage and 8 speed and can handle 34 teeth.

i ordered a shimano gh51 cassette 11-28. I hope this works.
Old 09-29-21, 07:57 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Why not get an 8sp11-21 cassette, same that you have one the bike now and put it on the Kicker? You’ll need some additional spacers on the trainer to make it work, but these additional spacers used to be included with the hardware to set up the smart trainer. Otherwise , you might have to order a little kit from Wahoo, should be only a few bucks probably.
Old 09-30-21, 04:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Why not get an 8sp11-21 cassette, same that you have one the bike now and put it on the Kicker? You’ll need some additional spacers on the trainer to make it work, but these additional spacers used to be included with the hardware to set up the smart trainer. Otherwise , you might have to order a little kit from Wahoo, should be only a few bucks probably.
This ^
Seems obvious to me. Just ask Wahoo tech support what spacers you need to fit the 8-speed cassette on your Kickr. You will also need a few simple tools to swap the cassette (chain whip and appropriate locking tool).
Old 09-30-21, 04:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by jjwmonsta

Why are you even talking about an 11-28 cassette? You said your bike has an 8-speed 11-21 cassette and the Kickr has an 11-32 cassette (presumably 11-speed).

Just buy the exact same 8-speed 11-21 cassette your bike already has and fit that to your Kickr with the appropriate spacer and you are good to go.
Old 09-30-21, 04:41 AM
jjwmonsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok that makes sense buy an 11-21 cassette. Thanks for the help. I’ll see how many spacers I need from wahoo. The kickr arrived yesterday and it came with 1.8mm spacer.