Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Decennial Crash

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Decennial Crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 04:37 PM
EastOfMidnight

Bikes: Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Decennial Crash

Got to thinking last week that I haven't been down on my bike in over 10 years. Corrected that situation on Sunday with a crash into a wet, muddy drainage ditch that left me with a broken pelvis. Kudos to a stranger, fire dept., EMS, police and Emergency Room staff for quick and efficient response. At 75 yrs. old, it may take a few weeks to get back in the saddle.
Likes For EastOfMidnight:
Old 10-06-21, 05:10 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight
Got to thinking last week that I haven't been down on my bike in over 10 years. Corrected that situation on Sunday with a crash into a wet, muddy drainage ditch that left me with a broken pelvis. Kudos to a stranger, fire dept., EMS, police and Emergency Room staff for quick and efficient response. At 75 yrs. old, it may take a few weeks to get back in the saddle.
1st and foremost, HOW'S THE BIKE???

Glad you can write about the event. Thinking that it might be a bit longer to get BACK ON THE SADDLE. Good luck and heal quickly.
Old 10-06-21, 05:18 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I admire your spirit. Heal quickly.
Old 10-06-21, 05:19 PM
EastOfMidnight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
1st and foremost, HOW'S THE BIKE???

Glad you can write about the event. Thinking that it might be a bit longer to get BACK ON THE SADDLE. Good luck and heal quickly.
Last I saw it it was up to the skewers in mud and water. Wife said it looked OK, but I'll have LBS make sure there is no carbon damage.
Old 10-06-21, 05:46 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Yikes!!! How’d it happen?
Old 10-06-21, 08:05 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Here's hoping you have a full and speedy recovery. Our thoughts are with you.
Old 10-06-21, 08:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Bummer! I'm nearly your age and I'm pretty sure a broken pelvis would convince me to move on to a different hobby. Especially if I were in any way responsible. Many of us who are still cycling in our 70s will lose our mental acuity before our legs give up. Tricky situation.
Old 10-06-21, 09:20 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
From your report, sounds like the small bones in the front, the pubic rami, upper/lower, R/L so upto four possible
fractures. Mostly annoying, can slow down walking for a few weeks but rarely need anything beyond a walker and
time to get over. This is the most common type of pelvic bone fracture. All the other pelvic fractures are horror shows
by comparison. Discomfort varies from mild/annoying to pretty obnoxious but generally settles down over a week
or so. Wife had this two yrs ago and was on a walker for 2 weeks then back to activities as usual (not a cycler or
runner). Two other cyclists of my acquaintance had these and both eventually decided cycling wasn't worth the risk.
Old 10-06-21, 09:23 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Get well and get back on the bike.
Old 10-07-21, 06:22 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Got to thinking last week that I haven't been down on my bike in over 10 years.
Fortunately I haven't crashed after thinking about past crashes, but whenever I think "I haven't had a flat tire in....!" Well, you know...

Good luck with recovery! I guess going into winter is a little better off time than if it happened in May.

Okay, I'm grasping for something positive to tell you...
Old 10-07-21, 06:26 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
When I crashed at 72 y/o I went to Trike riding.

Take care.

Old 10-07-21, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Decennial crash? You are doing better than me if you only have a spill once every ten years. However thankfully only one was bad enough to keep me off the bike for a time. Hopefully this is your case too. <grin>

Glad you are okay. Get better and back on the bike soon. Don't rule out a recumbent trike if balance issues are becoming an issue. I admire all the old farts still cycling that I see when I ride no matter what they are on.
Old 10-08-21, 07:58 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I hope you heal fast. Thanks for confirming the reason I switched to a recumbent trike in 2003. I had a couple of crashes over the previous two years on recumbent bikes so began to worry about breaking a hip or other bones and being laid up for a long time. We have irrigation water runoff in many neighborhoods in Las Vegas and that made for some slick corners where the water would pool. In the winter that became ice. I'd rather switch than give up my major form of exercise.

BTW, at 130 pounds I qualify as an old fart but not a fat old fart.
Old 10-08-21, 09:25 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Me too, almost

Recently came a hairs breadth from biting the dust for the first time in twenty years. Was coasting down long, easy slope to the end of my gravel road, standing on pedals and weight forward to better spot potholes. Saw a neighbor mowing on riding mower coming towards road. Was lightly braking on both front and rear hydraulics, and silly me, raised right hand to wave, as I'm inclined to do. Instant quick front wheel skid, handlebars wrenched to one side. So close to losing it; could not have been any closer. Got my weight back and down, released brake lever, got hand back on bars, and squared bike back on track all in a fraction of a second. Will never make that mistake again! Luckily wasn't going more than ten mph, but would likely have ruined my cycling tights and got some road rash, not to mention potential damage to bike.

Previous fall was a big, aggressive german shepherd coming at me from out of nowhere, and my front wheel going off pavement onto soft shoulder, and me going "ass over teakettle" onto pavement. I was younger then, so was more angry than hurt.

One common denominator between the two incidents: happens so fast there is only instinct to your reaction, no time to analyze. But experience did help me save the recent incident.
Old 10-08-21, 09:29 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Hoping you recover fast! I had a hard fall a couple of months ago and it really hurt, so I’m very sympathetic. I hope you are back on the bike soon!

Otto
Old 10-08-21, 03:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
left me with a broken pelvis. Kudos to a stranger, fire dept., EMS, police and Emergency Room staff for quick and efficient response. At 75 yrs. old, it may take a few weeks to get back in the saddle.
I broke my pelvis at age 54 - wet corner, wheel slip, body slam to the pavement, helmet saved me from a head injury. It was painful but recovery was pretty fast... I wasn't fully healed but I was doing my normal rides at 10-weeks post crash.

I blogged about it here if you need some fun reading:
https://diabloscott.blogspot.com/201...bad-crash.html

This X-ray always cracks me up. HA!

Last edited by DiabloScott; 10-08-21 at 04:01 PM.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 10-09-21, 07:15 AM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Heck - hope you knit fast. Funny post - I wish I had your positive attitude! Be well and remain in light!

I'm hoping my antigravity pills continue to work.
Old 10-10-21, 07:07 PM
EastOfMidnight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Left superior ramus. Definitely in pieces - I can hear and feel it crepitate. Can bear weight and use a walker, but hurts like hell when i move wrong. I'll see the ortho tomorrow.