Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can a wheel crumple with no broken spokes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can a wheel crumple with no broken spokes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22, 01:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I have a bike with a back wheel in pretty bad shape, multiple (8?) spokes keep losing tension (Ive been hand tightening them every ~ 10 miles but it doesn't make much of a difference.) None of them are broken but I have a pretty gnarly speed wobble that changes up on me.
How exactly are you tightening them? Just tightening the nipples with the fingers? Using a spoke wrench?

If the rim, hub, bearings are all in good shape, you can do the repair yourself. It just takes a $5 spoke wrench. A truing stand is nice, but you can true a wheel on the bike if necessary.

Spokes should be brought up to a moderately uniform tension (with right/left spokes different on the rear). And, the rim needs to be trued and centered, and without hop. You can do a moderate job on the bike.
Old 03-26-22, 03:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
How exactly are you tightening them? Just tightening the nipples with the fingers? Using a spoke wrench?

If the rim, hub, bearings are all in good shape, you can do the repair yourself. It just takes a $5 spoke wrench. A truing stand is nice, but you can true a wheel on the bike if necessary.

Spokes should be brought up to a moderately uniform tension (with right/left spokes different on the rear). And, the rim needs to be trued and centered, and without hop. You can do a moderate job on the bike.
This.

You need to get a spoke wrench, dude. Take the tire off the rim, center the brakes, spin the wheel and fix any place where the wheel rubs. Then tighten the barrel adjuster till you get rubbing again, and fix that. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, and look closely around all your spoke holes for cracks in the rim. If it's an old bike, you might put a little thin oil where each spoke enters the nipple and let it sit for a while before starting to work, so the nipples will turn.

Having all your spokes properly tensioned is the key, because the way wheels work is that the hub is suspended from the upper spokes as it turns. Loose spokes aren't doing anything, so the remaining spokes have all that much more weight pulling on them.

EDIT: Also, hold onto the spoke while you turn the nipple, so you can be sure you're tightening the nipple on the spoke, not just twisting the whole thing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-26-22, 03:22 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Can't believe I'm responding to a Larry thread, but...your spokes haven't broken YET. If you ride with loose spokes they will break pretty soon. Fix your wheel, a spoke wrench costs $5 and after a bit of research and your time the wheel will be in better shape. Or, take it to a bike shop and pay $10-$15 to get it trued.
Old 03-26-22, 04:08 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I have a spoke wrench but last time I used it it didn’t really help (rim was ****ed.) took it to the shop today and they claim they can true it which is surprising to me, but yay.
Old 03-26-22, 04:11 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
This.

You need to get a spoke wrench, dude. Take the tire off the rim, center the brakes, spin the wheel and fix any place where the wheel rubs. Then tighten the barrel adjuster till you get rubbing again, and fix that. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, and look closely around all your spoke holes for cracks in the rim. If it's an old bike, you might put a little thin oil where each spoke enters the nipple and let it sit for a while before starting to work, so the nipples will turn.

Having all your spokes properly tensioned is the key, because the way wheels work is that the hub is suspended from the upper spokes as it turns. Loose spokes aren't doing anything, so the remaining spokes have all that much more weight pulling on them.

EDIT: Also, hold onto the spoke while you turn the nipple, so you can be sure you're tightening the nipple on the spoke, not just twisting the whole thing.
Incorrect...the hub 'stands' on the lower spokes.
Old 03-26-22, 04:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Incorrect...the hub 'stands' on the lower spokes.
Then the problem would still be that the single tensioned spoke is supporting the load, wouldn't it?

Old 03-26-22, 05:37 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
Larry, I have a Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke Ultegra hub that I only used for a on wheel trainer, it never saw the road. I would gladly give you this wheel to keep you from dying so you can keep posting stuff like this. PM me your address, I will send it to you.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-26-22 at 05:43 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-26-22, 05:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
How bout someone send Larry a wheel they have laying around. Think of it as payment for the comedy that he has generously given us all.
I just posted my wheel for him to have...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-26-22, 09:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
normally I ride bikes to failure, and for wheels this means when its rubbing against the frame. can they actually suddenly fail? I feel like I would notice a terrible wobble or something before that happens, I try to treat bikes gently for my safety when I can tell they are on their way out
From your posts on this forum it seems like you are doing everything to failure and that is not a good way to live. You need to try having a Positive Mental Attitude.

Also again to those who are looking for good advice, NEVER RIDE YOUR BIKE TO FAILURE. Keep yourself safe but also keep those around you safe. If you are looking to hurt yourself please immediately call this number: 800-273-8255. They can help you.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-26-22, 09:47 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Larry, I have a Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke Ultegra hub that I only used for a on wheel trainer, it never saw the road. I would gladly give you this wheel to keep you from dying so you can keep posting stuff like this. PM me your address, I will send it to you.
Are you serious about this offer? A new rear wheel is huge... that would be amazing

veganbikes, id wager the majority of the bikes in the world are ridden to failure. This is not dangerous as long as you are attentive and know your bike. Your comment comes across as elitist to me

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 03-26-22 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-26-22, 10:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Are you serious about this offer? A new rear wheel is huge... that would be amazing

veganbikes, id wager the majority of the bikes in the world are ridden to failure. This is not dangerous as long as you are attentive and know your bike. Your comment comes across as elitist to me
No it is dangerous. Just because a lot of people do it doesn't mean it is smart or safe. Your elitist comment doesn't really hold any water but you knew that. Yes one should know their own bike and always be attentive but riding to failure well, we all know FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION even if ole' Kranzy never said it and it was just used for the movie...LOL.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-26-22, 10:06 PM
jaxgtr

Yes. All it's doing is hanging in my garage as it has been for the last 3 years. PM me your address and I will send it to you so you don't kill yourself over some crappy wheels you fished out of a garbage can.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-27-22, 03:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

This is just wrong. People who have to rely on their bikes can't afford to let them fail. Disposability is a luxury. If you're attentive and know your bike, you fix things when it's still cheap to do so, or you figure an affordable strategy to fix the major problem.
Old 03-27-22, 06:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Your wheels have already failed. You are riding them past the point of “failure” to the point of disaster. Your wheels can collapse…even without breaking spokes…and you are on track to experience that. It’s not “elitist” to point that out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-27-22, 06:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yes. All it's doing is hanging in my garage as it has been for the last 3 years. PM me your address and I will send it to you so you don't kill yourself over some crappy wheels you fished out of a garbage can.
I’d condition my offer on a proof of life photo of them being used by the OP.
Old 03-27-22, 07:41 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
If you are attentive and know your bike, it isn't going to fail because you are not going to neglect it by riding on loose spokes, bent wheels or any other deficiency. Reasonable care is not elitism.

Last edited by Chuck M; 03-27-22 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Left out a comma
Old 03-27-22, 02:00 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’d condition my offer on a proof of life photo of them being used by the OP.
why wouldn't I use it? you think im like not real or something?
Old 03-27-22, 02:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
You could start a new thread titled "Am I Real?" and present evidence to support your side of the argument. I think there's a chance we could change your mind.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-27-22, 02:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
You're unreal -- which is different from not real.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-27-22, 03:00 PM
jaxgtr

Well, here is my proof of life... Larry, got your PM and responded. FYI to anyone that uses Shipbikes, they are transitioning to using UPS, so their system is down at the moment.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-27-22, 03:02 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
….I don't really want to pay $200 to get a $400 bike fixed.
Ever heard the saying ”for the want of a nail”?
You’re not thinking that through.
Unless you’re planning to sell the bike, it isn’t about putting $200 into a $400 bike. It is about paying $200 for keeping your mode of transportation in working order.
What will it cost you if it fails?
Facing a $2000 charge for hospital/dental care as a consequence of avoiding a $200 maintenance bill doesn’t seem like a good deal.
And who knows what else might happen if you don’t make it to your destination? Lose a job? Lose a deal?

If money is an issue, Learn To do your own maintenance and repairs. Most are well within range of the Average Guy. Or Gal for that matter.

"will my rear wheel necessarily display worse symptoms than it does now before it fails."
I don’t think anyone can say with certainty from afar.
There’s some merit in the thought that it will keep doing what it does now.
OTOH, wheels shouldn’t be doing what your wheel is doing. Slack spokes don’t contribute (much) to the strength of the wheel. You might not have much margin to total and immediate failure. Miss a pothole, drop off a curb a little clumsy might be all it takes for the wheel to fold.
Old 03-27-22, 03:45 PM
dabac

normally I ride bikes to failure, and for wheels this means when its rubbing against the frame.
I can think of at least three reasons for a wheel to start rubbing against the frame and still be entirely salvageable.
can they actually suddenly fail?
Certainly:

Probably not the failure mode you’re likely to encounter, but it sure was sudden.
Old 03-27-22, 03:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It may be true that the majority of bikes are ridden to failure, but they're being ridden by a 250 lb guy who's trying to catch the Spectrum Ride.

And there's nothing more elitist than someone who perfomatively eschews the things he thinks smack of elitism.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-27-22, 04:08 PM
dabac

…id wager the majority of the bikes in the world are ridden to failure. This is not dangerous
You must have a very ”interesting” idea of what either ”failure” or ”dangerous” means.

This is from my drop bar commuter:

Good luck explaining how this isn’t dangerous.
…id wager the majority of the bikes in the world are ridden to failure.
I suppose you’re right, for a very generous definition of failure. Failure-of-interest, or failure-of-providing-basic-maintenance is a far more common cause for retiring a bike than an actual mechanical/structural failure.
Likes For dabac:
Old 03-27-22, 04:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Ever heard the saying ”for the want of a nail”?
You’re not thinking that through.
Unless you’re planning to sell the bike, it isn’t about putting $200 into a $400 bike. It is about paying $200 for keeping your mode of transportation in working order.
What will it cost you if it fails?
I don't think Larry commutes on this bike; rather, he uses it to invade group rides. If his bike fails, the only consequence would be that some riders in California would be grateful.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.