Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So I ditched 85g butyl for 35g TPU inner tubes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So I ditched 85g butyl for 35g TPU inner tubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 12:50 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked 1,915 Times in 1,101 Posts
I also have RideNow tpu tubes purchased from Ali

the site is kinda clunky - especially the interface to paypal - but got it to work

from that point on very impressed - confirmations received a number of times during the process and the shipping time was reasonable

one order the tubes were $9 per tube ( $8.98 ) - might have been less next order
Old 04-10-24, 01:08 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,810 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I also have RideNow tpu tubes purchased from Ali

the site is kinda clunky - especially the interface to paypal - but got it to work

from that point on very impressed - confirmations received a number of times during the process and the shipping time was reasonable

one order the tubes were $9 per tube ( $8.98 ) - might have been less next order
I got those from amazon at slightly under $24 for 2. Since I'm only on the trainer most of the time these days, I haven't tried them yet (other than to put a pair in my saddlebag). One of these days, I'm going to build up the deep section rims I have to the hubs I have (having a hard time finding the style of spokes I want in the length I want - ~218 mm if I calculated correctly - other than on Ali). A bit nervous buying something structural like spokes on Ali as opposed to tubes, but I'll probably have to bite the bullet. Then, I'll throw these tubes in there. I got rims that were tubeless ready (no holes), but have a lot of nice non-tubeless tires to use up (Veloflex Masters and similar) before I try tubeless.

Likes For himespau:
Old 04-14-24, 09:30 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 318 Posts
himespau I've done a complete rebuild with Pillar spokes sourced from AliExpress and have been happy with them. The various Chinese carbon wheels I've got also seem to have Pillar spokes (although in wider blade profiles) and I've not had issues with those, either.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-19-24, 05:29 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
No doubt the latex tubes are lighter by a significant amount for a tube, and the data shows they produce a faster wheel, however in our testing on aa 15 mile known time trial course with riders that did the course every week in season, the tubes showed absolutely no advantage. Real world testing done over a 1 month period. Two riders for a total of eight trials. The results were real.
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
How did you control for temperature? Tire pressure? Barometric pressure?

Your test is not valid, that is for real.
There are so many variables doing the same TT course week to week that would overwhelm any small efficiencies from latex tubes.

I’ve done TT series where I did the same course every week for the course of a summer. My speed and power data moved around enough week to week that it would be impossible to make any valid conclusion regarding the effect of a small equipment change.

If I was a tenth of a mile an hour faster one week, with the same or lower watts than the previous week, was it because I paced better that week, it was less windy, the wind direction was different, Iheld my position better, it was warmer, etc, etc, etc.

The claimed advantage of latex tubes is small enough that you would have to have a very tightly controlled experiment to tease out the effect of the tubes from the noise.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-19-24 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-21-24, 06:00 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Bought 4 Ridenow 35gr tubes from Ali cheap (around $5 or so each). No way can I justify spending thee-fifths of the price of a tire on an inner tube. Guess you get what you pay for since I had 3 rides before the front had a slow leak. Swapped it with a light butyl and the ride felt less harsh and a similar effort on hills. I'll be using the TPU only as a spare in my saddlebag. BTW, I did try the more expensive Pirelli and Aerothan tpu's a couple of years ago, with similar unhappy results. At least for me, tpu's are not ready for primetime since I value reliability over performance.
Old 04-21-24, 03:55 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 442 Posts
Quick Q on valve length - I'm getting my first real set of Aero wheels, 50mm, so will 65mm valve length (on TPU or other...) work ok ?
Thx
Yuri
Old 04-21-24, 07:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle
Bought 4 Ridenow 35gr tubes from Ali cheap (around $5 or so each). No way can I justify spending thee-fifths of the price of a tire on an inner tube. Guess you get what you pay for since I had 3 rides before the front had a slow leak. Swapped it with a light butyl and the ride felt less harsh and a similar effort on hills. I'll be using the TPU only as a spare in my saddlebag. BTW, I did try the more expensive Pirelli and Aerothan tpu's a couple of years ago, with similar unhappy results. At least for me, tpu's are not ready for primetime since I value reliability over performance.
All tests show better puncture resistance for TPU than butyl, and TPU doesn’t split, rip, or tear, so even in the event of puncture, it’s much less likely to catastrophically and suddenly flat. The slow leak you experienced probably would have left tour butyl tube immediately flat. You can even get a 1 year warranty against all flats with Tubolito X-Tubo series TPU tubes, something no butyl tube that I’m aware of offers.
Old 04-21-24, 10:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 5,680 Times in 2,932 Posts

Two TPU tubes from Ali for $8 total. They ride and hold air just fine and don’t leak down much air when sitting for a day or two,

Edit: using 3 TPUs vs 3 “light” butyles saved me over a lb. Jury’s out if the bike feels more sprightly, but it certainly doesn’t feel slower.

Old 04-22-24, 02:41 AM
hidetaka

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Two TPU tubes from Ali for $8 total. They ride and hold air just fine and don’t leak down much air when sitting for a day or two,

Edit: using 3 TPUs vs 3 “light” butyles saved me over a lb. Jury’s out if the bike feels more sprightly, but it certainly doesn’t feel slower.
Offbondage? Kinky
Likes For hidetaka:
Old 04-23-24, 10:06 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
The reported problem with Ridenow and other tpu's is not puncture resistance but manufacturing issues. Namely, small leaks where the stem meets the tube. I believe that's where my tube is leaking. I've put a dab on glue on that area and I'm curious if that problem is resolved.