Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mercier repaint

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mercier repaint

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 08:23 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Mercier repaint

I Found this frame in the back room at the Bike Exchange the other day. I am going to re paint it and build it up as a light Fixie/ single speed.
The last fixie I worked on Weighed 24 lb complete and had a gas pipe frame weighing almost 7 lbs.
The Mercier frame as shown stripped weighs in at 4.27 lbs and I am going to shoot for a 20 lb finished weight ready to ride. I have heard that 17 lbs. is possible. with enough weight weeny bits.
I'll have to see what I can dig up in the parts bins.

The previous owned sanded some of the paint down to bare metal. I can see no rust spots and think a little primer and a new top coat should make it look like new.
I wonder, has anyone on this list has owned one of these bikes. If you have did you find a match for the orange paint?
I am going to mask off the decals and hopefully match the color closely.
I am hoping that Rustoleum safety orange might be close. there are a few other Oranges out there and I would be willing to use one if it is a good match.

If I can't match the paint I will probably so a custom multi color paint job on the frame, keeping the decals and head tube the origiinal orange.I might do that anyway, we'll see.
And now for something completely different, a 1968 Raleigh Rport preservation rebuild I just finished. This bike belonged to the doner's father. It was well used but loved. She asked if she could have first right of refusal before we sold it and and I tried to keep it as original as I could, bringing the faded paint back to life with a good cleaning and a clear coat, and giving it a thourough going through. It got newer bars, new saddle, tires, cables, and a 24 tooth cog in the rear to make the gearing more friendly. If she takes it back it should serve her and her family for many years to come.

Last edited by capnjonny; 01-11-24 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 01-12-24, 08:33 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
@capnjonny it is always difficult to color match paint. It kinda looks like Allis-Chalmers orange, but I'm seeing a representation of the color on my screen of the bike, and the match in my head is just from memory of Allis-Chalmers orange, so there is a big chance that, I may be wrong. I've mixed Testors paints before and came close but never a dead-on match. It can be done. I just ran out of time and went with the best that I had.

The paint and graphics look nice. I'm with you on trying to preserve it. Are you going to air brush it, brush paint it or it depends?

Great job on the Raleigh Sports. It looks better than new.