Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

It's a Hopper

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

It's a Hopper

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-24, 12:00 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
It's a Hopper

Once again the Bike Exchange got a unique donation, An English 3 speed Hopper.
I'll have to do some research on the make, If anyone has heard of them or has one let us know.

I just brought it home and took a look at it and from what I can see it is in great original condition.
The chrome rims are not bad and the paint, though dirty, looks like it will clean up nicely.

It has a nice Brooks saddle which isn't cracked or torn and should bennefit from some proof ride and a good buffing.
As I am waiting on the weather to paint a couple frames I am working on I will probably get right into this bike.

Unless I uncover some problems I should have it back in service in no time.

By the way, that bell is LOUD!
I love it.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by capnjonny; 02-18-24 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-18-24, 12:07 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Here's a bit of info about Elswick-Hopper.
​​​https://www.classiclightweights.co.u...lswick-hopper/
And here's some writing about them by the late Sheldon Brown.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/elswick.html
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 02-18-24, 09:00 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
That's a nice bike and a marque you don't see every day in the U.S. As you've probably read, at one point, they joined together with another Lincolnshire maker, Elswick. Here is a '55 Elswick that seems very similar to yours, including the pedal rubber with the name of the brand. I'm fitting new whitewalls on it and it needs some new hand grips.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 02-18-24 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 02-28-24, 08:59 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Well, the Hopper is finished and back at the Bike Exchange getting ready to be featured in a future "Bike of the Month" article in our newsletter (bikex.org).
You can tell a lot about what kind of care a bike had when you dismantle it. You also get a glimpse into the mind of the designer / builder as you inspect the Geometry, materials used, types of fasteners. paint, chrome etc.

This bike has had loving care since the previous owner bought it new as a child.

Built as a commemorative edition celebrating the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953, it is in excellent condition. Except for new tires, cables, and grips, it only needed a modest amount of TLC to get It ready for its photo shoot.

The bike is painted in a black enamel. It’s pretty tough and all I had to do was clean it well, rub it out with white polishing compound, and wax it. Mostly, it shined up but there were spots that wouldn’t buff well. Over all the pint looked good. It should hold up well in the future. The bright work was pretty rusty and this was dealt with in varying ways.

A cup type wire brush attached to my bench mount drill press is great for a quick clean up. Lots of bolt ends, chain rings and cranks, basically anything that will fit between the drill bit and the base table is fair game and frequently a good burnishing is all that is required.

Small chrome and aluminum parts are dunked in a large container of white vinegar, usually overnight, then cleaned and burnished / polished as required.

Large items, like steel rims, handlebars, fenders etc. are cleaned and often lightly rubbed with 0000 steel wool to clean off scale and loose rust then painted with Naval jelly.

Handle bars and rims are often rubbed with crushed aluminum foil and the old stand-by Brasso metal polish.

When warranted ( or I just feel like it) I have a buffing wheel to give aluminum parts a mellow shine.

So here it is in all its glory, a 1953 Elswick Hopper.
Old 02-28-24, 09:56 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Nice work! Not my cup of tea as far as a bike I would choose to ride but what is not to like about this refurb on such an iconic part of cycling history . These English 3 speed bikes provided transportation and recreation to a whole generation and some are still used regularly.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-28-24, 10:10 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
Its even got the original flame grips, nice.
Likes For degan:
Old 03-04-24, 11:53 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
Handsome steed in remarkable shape. As a piece of history am guessing few Brits could afford a car then and this might have been the main source of transportation for someone or an entire family.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 03-04-24, 12:02 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
That's beautiful, were it my size it would get ridden in my fleet!
Old 03-05-24, 07:46 PM
capnjonny 

Thanks for all the compliments. To be honest the grips are not original. I pulled them off the wall of our sales area. They do look good on this bike though. I wanted to swap out the rear cogs for a 24 tooth but I used my last one on the 58 Schwinn. This one had a 17 on it, probably the most common gear back then but way to high for pedalng up hill.
Likes For capnjonny: