Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I had a nightmare last night

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 03:44 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 396 Posts

I dreamt I owned a carbon fiber bike. But, it turned out well. In the dream, I was showing a friend where the frame cracked at the bottom bracket and I swore to him that I would never buy another carbon fiber frame.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 04-28-24, 04:51 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I dreamt I owned a carbon fiber bike. But, it turned out well. In the dream, I was showing a friend where the frame cracked at the bottom bracket and I swore to him that I would never buy another carbon fiber frame.
I love all my vintage steel and titanium but when I want a fast ride, I grab my 2004 BMC SLT01 Team Machine. My daily rider to work and around the city is a 2008 BMC CX01 Cross Machine.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 04-28-24, 05:09 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 192 Posts
My nightmare usually starts with my 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa going missing; but then the real nightmare happens. It gets turned into "fixie" with sawed off derailleur hanger and upright bars.
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 04-28-24, 06:23 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 3,845 Times in 1,418 Posts
Looking at the the local FB marketplace, there is a Tarmac with full DA11 for $1400 and a Madone with DA10 for $1100. I see a good deal, not a nightmare.
Likes For iab:
Old 04-28-24, 06:56 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 5,119 Times in 1,807 Posts
As much as I love my old and new steel bikes I'd be lying if I said these weren't exquisite rides also!

Although.....I am dealing with an issue with an C.F. fork that I would never have to deal with on a steel one.

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-28-24 at 07:03 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 04-28-24, 07:23 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2535 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,718 Posts
And how did that nightmare make you feel?
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-28-24, 10:00 AM
gearbasher

Originally Posted by Trakhak
And how did that nightmare make you feel?
It made me feel impotent and by owning the carbon fiber bike I was compensating for my shortcomings. But, when I swore never to own another one, I felt like a man again.
Old 04-28-24, 12:10 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 1,918 Times in 862 Posts
Last night's weird bike dream was riding support for a major fundraiser ride that had a coned-off route through several major airports (both landside and airside). After the 4:15 am alarm woke me up, my first thought was, "they'd never be able to get permits for that!"
Old 04-28-24, 04:51 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 149 Posts
LOL, that is a bad dream. I had a weird one a couple weeks ago, I got an e-bike which burst in to flames.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 04-28-24, 05:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3295 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 1,201 Posts
I rode a Flyxii open mold Chinese carbon road bike for 9 years and 8500 miles. Never had a nightmare about it failing and it didn’t. I only recently retired it as I got a great deal in a Trek Emonda SL7. I do have a monthly nightmare about work, been retired 2 years now.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-28-24, 07:41 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 987 Posts
At least it was just a dream for you. For me I had to wake up to this reality:

Luckily CF is darn tough. I slapped some epoxy on the assploded section and my Y-Foil rides perfectly fine:
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-28-24, 08:49 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
Liked 4,866 Times in 2,245 Posts
Bought my CF bike in 2000, still a year left on frame warranty for workmanship defects. Don't expect to make a claim.

Calfee TetraPro. I don't think there is an original part on the frame. (edit: Ooopps, seat post collar clamp is original.)

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-28-24 at 09:12 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-28-24, 10:36 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
...I was showing a friend where the frame cracked at the bottom bracket and I swore to him that I would never buy another carbon fiber frame.

Question is it, was a Nightmare or a Modern Day Prophecy...

I would intermediately go about checking every bottom bracket I owned, carbon or not... Ha
Old 04-28-24, 11:23 PM
gearbasher

Originally Posted by zandoval

Question is it, was a Nightmare or a Modern Day Prophecy...

I would intermediately go about checking every bottom bracket I owned, carbon or not... Ha
Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. I checked the BB on the bike I was riding all this week.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 04-29-24, 12:54 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 989 Posts
I have this nightmare where I remove the carbon (bonded to its aluminum rim substrate) RS81 wheels from my '89 OS Paramount (to put on a new high end road frame that I don't own yet) and it goes back to being just an "alright" bike instead of the second coming of my '88 64cm Davidson Impulse that it is right now.

I have a dream where I take the geometry specs of my '82 Trek 720 and have John Slawta (Land Shark) build me the equivalent frame and fork in carbon fiber. Don't worry, it will still be rim brake.

The real nightmare is selling my big vintage Treks. I've sadly sold many a beauty, even for decent reasons, and I'd like to stop that!
Old 04-29-24, 01:03 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
At least it was just a dream for you. For me I had to wake up to this reality:

Luckily CF is darn tough. I slapped some epoxy on the assploded section and my Y-Foil rides perfectly fine:
No way would I ever think of riding that.
Old 04-29-24, 06:21 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I rode a Flyxii open mold Chinese carbon road bike for 9 years and 8500 miles. Never had a nightmare about it failing and it didn’t. I only recently retired it as I got a great deal in a Trek Emonda SL7. I do have a monthly nightmare about work, been retired 2 years now.
I'm coming up on two years and I still get the occasional work nightmare. Usually it involves being told at the last minute that I have to stay for overtime, which was a frequent thing while I was working. Most of the time, the conscious part of my brain reminds me that I'm retired and I walk out saying "I don't have be here, I'm retired".
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-29-24, 06:51 AM
gearbasher

Originally Posted by Pompiere
I'm coming up on two years and I still get the occasional work nightmare. Usually it involves being told at the last minute that I have to stay for overtime, which was a frequent thing while I was working. Most of the time, the conscious part of my brain reminds me that I'm retired and I walk out saying "I don't have be here, I'm retired".
I'm on my eight year of retirement and I still get those work nightmares. But they are getting less frequent. In my dreams, I'm usually waiting to clock out and I tell myself: "What are you doing here, your retired."
Old 04-29-24, 07:28 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 5,119 Times in 1,807 Posts
^Jealous of you retiree's! One hour into the work week and I'm already turned back into Sam Kinison! I hate this place and can't see how I'm going to make it three more years.....
Old 04-29-24, 09:21 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
No way would I ever think of riding that.
I hear you, but I flexed the rear triangle back and forth and I could not tell any difference between the left side and right side at all. And in any event the 'seat' stay is still intact, so I figure if it fails, it won't be a catastrophic failure. From now until then there should be years of riding.
I have a CF handlebar with a crushed center section- and the bar is still extremely rigid with no flex or creak.
Old 04-29-24, 09:49 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 645 Posts
If I cared about how fast I rode, I'd likely have nightmares. I have bikes that are light enough and fast enough to satisfy me. Also, have other things that require money far more than a bike that weighs a kilo less and goes .2 mph faster. My nightmare would be that I spent $3,000 on a bike and just found out I need to fix a leak in the roof.
Old 04-29-24, 09:54 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
I love all my vintage steel and titanium but when I want a fast ride, I grab my 2004 BMC SLT01 Team Machine. My daily rider to work and around the city is a 2008 BMC CX01 Cross Machine.
My go fast bike is identical, an early SLT01 Team Machine. Don't know the exact year, but I'm guessing mid to late 2000's, back when they were still carbon tubes with aluminum lugs. Would love to get my hands on a Cross Machine, it's just impossibly hard to find used BMC's in 61cm. Took years to find my Team Machine.
Old 04-29-24, 10:23 AM
BMC_Kid 

I hear you, but I flexed the rear triangle back and forth and I could not tell any difference between the left side and right side at all. And in any event the 'seat' stay is still intact, so I figure if it fails, it won't be a catastrophic failure. From now until then there should be years of riding.
Hey, it’s your life, do what you want. It’s a big enough risk to just get out on the road most days. My family trusts that I don’t take any unnecessary risk beyond that.

I have a CF handlebar with a crushed center section- and the bar is still extremely rigid with no flex or creak.
Again, no way would I ever trust a compromised CF component.
Old 04-29-24, 11:00 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by Pantah
My go fast bike is identical, an early SLT01 Team Machine. Don't know the exact year, but I'm guessing mid to late 2000's, back when they were still carbon tubes with aluminum lugs. Would love to get my hands on a Cross Machine, it's just impossibly hard to find used BMC's in 61cm. Took years to find my Team Machine.
I think these early BMCs with the “Skeleton Crosslock Concept” aluminum lugs are really cool and unique looking. They definitely don’t look like any of their contemporary CF bikes and I absolutely love both of mine. Hard to believe it’s 20 years old now. Time flies…

Here’s an old photo of my Team Machine. I will be rebuilding it with 12-speed Campy SR and am thinking about a new paint scheme for it so it’s on hold for now.

And here’s the paint scheme I am thinking about for it. I’ll just substitute BMC logos for all of the Colnago.

Heres my all-round city bike Cross Machine. With nice big meaty 40mm tires, it goes everywhere.
Old 04-29-24, 03:00 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
I think these early BMCs with the “Skeleton Crosslock Concept” aluminum lugs are really cool and unique looking. They definitely don’t look like any of their contemporary CF bikes and I absolutely love both of mine. Hard to believe it’s 20 years old now. Time flies…
I agree, definitely very unique designs and I'd wanted one ever since they were still new. My brother's second shop he worked at was a BMC dealer back in the day and they caught my eye from the get-go. Couldn't afford (or find) one until a couple of years ago.

Both good looking bikes. Your Team Machine has the paint scheme I was hoping for but had to settle with something a bit more muted.
I got it as a bare frame with just the fork and seatpost. I originally had it setup with 10 speed doubletap but wasn't a fan so now it's 10 speed Shimano.
I, too, love my vintage bikes, which actually all happen to be aluminum because I'm a Klein/Cannondale nut, but it's hard to beat the ride quality of the BMC. Weighing just under 18 pounds doesn't hurt either.

Likes For Pantah:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.