Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone with narrow sit bones use Brooks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 11:02 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
I'm looking for a new saddle because of various problems, however I have very narrow sit bones. I was debating buying a brooks B17 or Swift or Swallow, but all of those models are ~150mm wide.

Do any of you have narrow sit bones and use a Brooks? If so, which model? If you don't mind sharing, how wide were your sit bones? Mine measure ~100mm using one of the measuring devices at the bike shop.
Old 09-02-14, 12:47 PM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do! I have the skinniest butt in the world. And it just loves my b17. Been sitting on it since 2003. Conforms well. Don't belive that 100 mile break in period time though. more like 500.
Old 09-02-14, 01:52 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Hi All,
I'm looking for a new saddle because of various problems, however I have very narrow sit bones. I was debating buying a brooks B17 or Swift or Swallow, but all of those models are ~150mm wide.

Do any of you have narrow sit bones and use a Brooks? If so, which model? If you don't mind sharing, how wide were your sit bones? Mine measure ~100mm using one of the measuring devices at the bike shop.
The width measurement for Brooks saddles is from edge-to-edge at the rear (like most saddles), but includes the cantle plate, which you don't want to be sitting on directly. So you'll tend to ride a Brooks that measures wider than other, more modern saddles. If your sit bones are narrow enough, you may get along well with a Brooks Professional. They measure ~160mm wide but have more of a rounded top.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-04-14, 04:19 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Love the Brooks saddles. Must have tried 30 different saddles over the years but once I sat on a B17 it's was comfortable first ride. Have a B17 springer now. Great for riding with or without padded shorts.

Old 09-04-14, 05:42 PM
Dirt Road

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000 & SP-1000 (Silk Path hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - the center of the dimples I've made on my Team Pro (big rivets, not the steel-rivet Classic model) are about 3 1/2 inches apart. Looking at the catalog that came with it says that the B17 Narrow, the Colt, and the Team Pro are the stiffest saddles. (I wanted to try a really stiff one this time, and I got my wish.) The B15 Swallow is the most elastic of the "racing" saddles, and the Swift is somewhere in between. I was worried that the Team Pro's sitting area was a little too curved, but it's flattened out somewhat. (I should have it broken in some time in this lifetime.) I'm guessing that the Swallow would be good for light folks only. B17 saddles are much more common. You should be able to find one to test sit on a bike at a shop.

By the way, I'm thinking of adding some lacing to my Team Pro. It's flaring out more on the right side than the left side, and was that way from new. I hit it with the inside of my thigh just rarely, but enough to abrade my best pair of shorts.

Last edited by Dirt Road; 09-04-14 at 06:19 PM.