Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What route would you take on a Cross Country trip across the US?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 03:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I can't get this idea out of my head about doing a cross country cycling trip. I'd prefer to do a West Coast to East Coast trip, hopefully the wind will be my friend on most days. I know there other forums where I can get similar information but since we have a diverse group around the US I'd love your opinions of areas you think would be terrific and also areas to avoid at all costs. I know some of you like Vic have done something similar.

I will have the luxury of doing it supported, with my wife following along in our van which is very, very nice. I think I can do it anytime of the year from a scheduling standpoint. We would like to camp as much as possible just to pinch pennies.

Below is a link to a map of different routes provided by Adventure Cycling. I always thought I'd do the Southern Tier since I figured I'd be limited on time and it's the shortest distance. I like where it starts and finishes but getting across all those miles in Texas might just do me in......although I could probably find some great margaritas.

My wife has suggested doing something through Montana, which I like but gosh that is a long way from Washington to the east coast.

The middle tier from San Francisco to the East Coast is not bad though. Although Kansas could be a real mental challenge. However once I get in Eastern Kentucky I could swing down in to NC and follow somewhat familiar roads to the Coast.

Anyway, I'd love your thoughts and suggestions and any ideas you might have.

Interactive Network Map | Adventure Cycling Association
Old 12-01-15, 03:28 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
As I might have mentioned, I've started riding cross country with Cycle America. Great route, so far ... all the way through to Northfield Minnesota.

Cycle America / Pedal the Peaks - Bicycle Tours and Events

Have you considered doing a Xcountry trip with them? One of the best parts of the ride are all of the people you get to meet. A core group of perhaps 30 riders that are going all the way across and another 30 or so that jump in and out week to week. And we often had locals from town feed us dinner and breakfast, which was a treat.

And if money is short and time is long, you can always volunteer for the ride. Volunteers ride half of the time and work half of the time, and I think they are fed and do it all for free.

In any case, I am INSANELY jealous.

Edit to add: I think you might be able to arrange a special rate if your wife works the ride, while you ride it. In any case, I'll see if I can dredge up a list of the route we took and the great stuff to see along the way.

Last edited by Biker395; 12-01-15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 03:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
IMHO the original Adventure Cycling route, the TransAm, has a great variety of scenery. Of course, it also has Kansas. :/

I've suggested, only half in jest, that the best way to ride across the country would be to start in Wichita and ride west on the TransAm. When you get to the coast, fly or drive back to Wichita and head east. That gives you plenty of time to get into shape before you hit the mountains, some recovery time, and then you can hit the steep stuff in the Ozarks and the Appalachians.
Old 12-01-15, 05:05 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
You got the right idea. Don't do it like I did back in '95. I flew to Washington D.C. with my bike in a box. After claiming my bike, I put it together in the terminal, and headed out. I had five weeks of vacation saved up and wanted to start on the east coast and go to the west coast. I figured that I would always be headed toward home, so I'd be less likely to quit.

Bad move!

There is a major reason that most people go from the west coast to the east coast. As you surmise, the prevailing winds. I had my choice between taking my road bike or a 'mountain bike'. In those days, front suspension had just came out and since I couldn't afford one of those, I got an unsuspended 'mountain bike'. Put on a front and rear rack and loaded it up with panniers everywhere one would mount. If I averaged 10 mph, I'd be satisfied with my progress.

Don't know if they still do this, but I contacted the Auto Club and they had a department in their downtown Los Angeles office with a guy that made trip-packs for cyclists. He mapped out a route that would be best for bicycles. I pretty much followed that. Started out in Washington D.C., made my way down to Virginia Beach to visit my daughter for a few days, (and also ship 35 pounds of 'junk' home), then across the southern edge of Virginia, criss-cross WV and KY, southern tip in IN, central MI, KS, and from there is was a straight shot back.

Several things really stood out. Riders much rather go over the Rockies than the Appalachians. With the Rockies, your one up, one down, and you're done. With the Appalachians, it's up and down, up and down, over and over. When I went east to west, I had to huff and puff up a hill, crest the top and think I had a few minutes to rest on the descent before tackling the next hill. No! The wind hit me in the face and I had to pedal downhill to over come the wind resistance. Eventually, at the bottom of the valley, I was in the wind shadow, but by then, I had to tackle the next hill. Believe me, you want to go west to east.

I kept a log and averaged about 75 miles a day. On one particularly bad day, I was fighting an intense headwind all day long. By mid afternoon, I was emotionally exhausted and had to call it a day, after having only progressed 50-something miles. Other than that particular day, I had averaged about 12 mph. The strength of the prevailing wind really drove itself home one day when in Kansas, I made a right turn and started heading due north, (to pick up a different cross-state route). After making that turn, the wind which had been coming onto me from the left front was now a left-quarter tailing wind. WOW, what a difference! I was now 'motoring' along at 25 mph on that ol' heavy, loaded to the gills mountain bike with very little effort.

Yes, believe me! You want the wind behind you. For daily rides near home, we can deal with the wind easy enough. But day after day, hour after hour . . . you want all the help you can get.

Surprisingly, I only got one flat on the whole trip. And it was a flat that need not have happened. To minimize flats, I decided to ride with one of those thin plastic inserts that go between the tube and the tire. It would stop most road debris and stickers. Well, the edge of the plastic strip rubbed a hole in the tube. When I repaired the flat, I also removed the strips from both tires and did not have any problems afterward.

Going cross country is a great trip. You meet all kinds of people and see all kinds of stuff you wouldn't ever have a chance to do otherwise. Only thing that was really frustrating is that I didn't lose a single pound of weight. I guess I just got stronger and converted non-productive cells into muscle cells.

By the way, I did not 'train' for this ride. I just got up and went. That first week was pretty bad. Rained the whole week. I was pretty miserable. Other than that first week, it was rain free. I went in the Springtime. Not too hot anywhere and zero humidity. It's been awhile, but other than that first week, I remember it as being pretty much perfect weather for riding.

You're fortunate in having support. You won't have to carry everything you'll need on your bike.

I retire next August. The following year, I'm planning on making the cross-country trip again. This time . . . I'll start on the west coast and head east. Be smart and do the same thing.

Last edited by volosong; 12-01-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 06:39 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
You got the right idea. Don't do it like I did back in '95. I flew to Washington D.C. with my bike in a box. After claiming my bike, I put it together in the terminal, and headed out. I had five weeks of vacation saved up and wanted to start on the east coast and go to the west coast. I figured that I would always be headed toward home, so I'd be less likely to quit.

Bad move!

There is a major reason that most people go from the west coast to the east coast. As you surmise, the prevailing winds. I had my choice between taking my road bike or a 'mountain bike'. In those days, front suspension had just came out and since I couldn't afford one of those, I got an unsuspended 'mountain bike'. Put on a front and rear rack and loaded it up with panniers everywhere one would mount. If I averaged 10 mph, I'd be satisfied with my progress.

Don't know if they still do this, but I contacted the Auto Club and they had a department in their downtown Los Angeles office with a guy that made trip-packs for cyclists. He mapped out a route that would be best for bicycles. I pretty much followed that. Started out in Washington D.C., made my way down to Virginia Beach to visit my daughter for a few days, (and also ship 35 pounds of 'junk' home), then across the southern edge of Virginia, criss-cross WV and KY, southern tip in IN, central MI, KS, and from there is was a straight shot back.

Several things really stood out. Riders much rather go over the Rockies than the Appalachians. With the Rockies, your one up, one down, and you're done. With the Appalachians, it's up and down, up and down, over and over. When I went east to west, I had to huff and puff up a hill, crest the top and think I had a few minutes to rest on the descent before tackling the next hill. No! The wind hit me in the face and I had to pedal downhill to over come the wind resistance. Eventually, at the bottom of the valley, I was in the wind shadow, but by then, I had to tackle the next hill. Believe me, you want to go west to east.

I kept a log and averaged about 75 miles a day. On one particularly bad day, I was fighting an intense headwind all day long. By mid afternoon, I was emotionally exhausted and had to call it a day, after having only progressed 50-something miles. Other than that particular day, I had averaged about 12 mph. The strength of the prevailing wind really drove itself home one day when in Kansas, I made a right turn and started heading due north, (to pick up a different cross-state route). After making that turn, the wind which had been coming onto me from the left front was now a left-quarter tailing wind. WOW, what a difference! I was now 'motoring' along at 25 mph on that ol' heavy, loaded to the gills mountain bike with very little effort.

Yes, believe me! You want the wind behind you. For daily rides near home, we can deal with the wind easy enough. But day after day, hour after hour . . . you want all the help you can get.

Surprisingly, I only got one flat on the whole trip. And it was a flat that need not have happened. To minimize flats, I decided to ride with one of those thin plastic inserts that go between the tube and the tire. It would stop most road debris and stickers. Well, the edge of the plastic strip rubbed a hole in the tube. When I repaired the flat, I also removed the strips from both tires and did not have any problems afterward.

Going cross country is a great trip. You meet all kinds of people and see all kinds of stuff you wouldn't ever have a chance to do otherwise. Only thing that was really frustrating is that I didn't lose a single pound of weight. I guess I just got stronger and converted non-productive cells into muscle cells.

By the way, I did not 'train' for this ride. I just got up and went. That first week was pretty bad. Rained the whole week. I was pretty miserable. Other than that first week, it was rain free. I went in the Springtime. Not too hot anywhere and zero humidity. It's been awhile, but other than that first week, I remember it as being pretty much perfect weather for riding.

You're fortunate in having support. You won't have to carry everything you'll need on your bike.

I retire next August. The following year, I'm planning on making the cross-country trip again. This time . . . I'll start on the west coast and head east. Be smart and do the same thing.
I really enjoyed your post/story. That would be a thrill. Putting your bike together at claims and riding out was very courageous, surely a strong memory point in the trip. Thank you for sharing, I learned a few things from it.
Old 12-01-15, 07:20 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by volosong
I'll start on the west coast and head east. Be smart and do the same thing.
Nice write up. Tx.
Old 12-01-15, 07:36 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think I'd like to try either the Northern Tier or the Trans Canada route that starts in BC. Long cycling days, less traffic, good camping, and strong tailwinds.
Old 12-01-15, 07:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
There's no best route, it boils down to what you like and places you want to visit.

If I were doing it, I'd let my northerner bias rule and take a northern route, starting in Portland or Seattle, crossing through Idaho and Montana, then swinging southwaed to avoid Minneapolis, and angle south through Wisconsin, looping below Chicago, and coming across \central Indiana and Ohio.

Finally there's a decision whether to continue drifting south and crossing through Maryland, or staying a bit more north and riding New York's southern tier plateau.

Besides my northerner's bias, I prefer the northern route because it avoids the southwest's deserts, and the long drawn out central plains, but it's just me.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-01-15, 07:44 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's no best route, it boils down to what you like and places you want to visit.

If I were doing it, I'd let my northerner bias rule and take a northern route, starting in Portland or Seattle, crossing through Idaho and Montana, then swinging southwaed to avoid Minneapolis, and angle south through Wisconsin, looping below Chicago, and coming across \central Indiana and Ohio.

Finally there's a decision whether to continue drifting south and crossing through Maryland, or staying a bit more north and riding New York's southern tier plateau.

Besides my northerner's bias, I prefer the northern route because it avoids the southwest's deserts, and the long drawn out central plains, but it's just me.
We have the same preferences. In the summer, stay cool. Heat kills strength and makes an already challenging experience all the more complicated.
Old 12-01-15, 07:49 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Since I commute daily on a nine-mile section of the Norther Tier, I'd say, the Norther Tier.

The bike already knows the way home.
Old 12-01-15, 09:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
I did most of the crosscountry trip in 1990, ending in Kentucky. There were 4 of us, unsupported. To me, being unsupported on tours adds something to it and I would not want to have a car involved.

We bought the maps from what was then called "Bikecentenial" and we started on the Oregon coast and turned south eventually after the Rockies. If I did it again I would avoid the south below the M-D line because boys threw stuff at us every day from their cars.

We did not camp but stayed in motels and at people's houses when they offered. The best memories of the trip are of the people we met and their kindnesses, despite the harrassment on certain southern roads.

I highly recommend the cycling maps partly because you will meet people every day who are on the route.
Old 12-01-15, 09:37 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What route [strike]would[/strike] did you take on a Cross Country trip across the US?

Originally Posted by jppe
I can't get this idea out of my head about doing a cross country cycling trip. I'd prefer to do a West Coast to East Coast trip, hopefully the wind will be my friend on most days. I know there other forums where I can get similar information but since we have a diverse group around the US I'd love your opinions of areas you think would be terrific and also areas to avoid at all costs. I know some of you like Vic have done something similar.

I will have the luxury of doing it supported, with my wife following along in our van which is very, very nice. I think I can do it anytime of the year from a scheduling standpoint. We would like to camp as much as possible just to pinch pennies…

Anyway, I'd love your thoughts and suggestions and any ideas you might have.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
In that case,

“So bend your ear, and listen to my version
"Of a really solid cross-country excursion”

Back in 1977 (one year after Bikecentennial, the forunner of ACA) my wife and I did a self supported cross country honeymoon ride from LA to Washington DC. We left LA in May 4, and had to be in Boston by July 1, We used state paper maps, and carried a USA road map to keep us on course. The Mojave Desert was pretty temperate that time of year, but did carry a gallon of water in the desert. In Goffs CA we were advised to avoid Las Vegas and steered through AZ. By the time we reached Colorado, we realized we were not making up enough time, so we veered to Washington DC.

We were from Michigan, and Day 1 was our very first Mountain Pass, As noted in a preceding post, the Rockies were not bad since the Federal Highways had gradient limits, and the stiffest hills were the secondary roads in the Ozarks, and Appalachians. We had one day of rain, in West VA, that kept us from entering DC on Sunday, but rather during Monday rush hour.

We naively rode French Road bikes with sew-up tires, and on two occasions had to hole up the bikes in a motel and hitchhike to a nearby city with a bike shop to buy more tires.

The major well-known points of interest were San Juan Capistrano, The Grand Canyon, Four Corners, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, the Mississippi at St Louis, and eventually Washington DC. But also memorable were so many small towns that become so interesting on a bike.

That is a very brief description because the entire trip was of so full of adventures, I don’t have time to relate. Every May 4, I start to recall where we were on that particular day, and even hour on that trip. Because we were newlyweds, moving to a new city and careers, it was a watershed.

Even almost 30 years after our last tour, I still read the Touring Forum regularly. I note that a subscriber, @jamawani is the go-to–guy for cross country advice.

Now though,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...One wild dream tour is to ride the perimeter of the USA (after I win a big lottery, with a luxury RV as my sag wagon, driven by my wife )....

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-04-15 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-01-15, 10:01 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I'd recommend the ACA's Trans AM or the Northern Tier routes.

My wife and I rode from Newport, OR to Boston, MA in 2007, roughly following U.S. Highway 20. It was a great ride. Highway 20 is the longest contiguous coast to coast highway in the country. We have done several long tours before and after this ride, but riding across my own country was pretty special.

If this route interests you, I'd be glad to send you the link to our blog site which covers this route in great detail.

Crater of the Moon NP, southern Idaho, 2007

Contrary to what others have told me, riding in the plains and desert country is really interesting as well as challenging. Riding across Nebraska was one of the highlights of our XC trip.

Oregon's High Desert.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-01-15 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 10:50 PM
volosong

This is the only picture I have from that cross-country trip in 1995. On some road overlooking the Great Smoky Mountains. I had stopped to admire the view and a couple on a day trip from Michigan asked it I wanted them to take a picture of me. "Sure." It shows how packed the bike was.

Old 12-01-15, 10:56 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnroads
I think I'd like to try either the Northern Tier or the Trans Canada route that starts in BC. Long cycling days, less traffic, good camping, and strong tailwinds.
+1

My wife and I rode from Vancouver, BC to Calgary, Alberta, and then south into Montana. It was a spectacular route. It was challenging but well worth the effort.

The more we thought about it, the more finishing the ride across Canada started sounding pretty good. We are toying with the idea of flying from Oregon to Halifax, and starting the trip west next summer from there to Calgary where we left off. However, based on the OP's remarks about the Trans Am, it may be a little longer route than he wants.

Old 12-02-15, 12:45 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Is it Joe?

First off, if your wife is going to drive a sag wagon and is interested in Montana - - then Montana just might need to be on the top of the list.
And it's not a bad idea at all - riding Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park is one of the finest bike rides in the world.

There's only a very slight advantage of west-to-east over east-to-west as far as wind goes.
You'll have morning sun in your face west-to-east, but the afternoon sun behind you.

Since you mentioned flexibility on dates - a Washington State to Outer Banks trip starting on July 1 would be ideal.
I wouldn't start much before June 15 because of late snow and winter snowmelt in the Cascades and Northern Rockies.
You could start as late as Aug 1 and still get to the east coast in 10 weeks by mid-October - but days start getting pretty short.

It is always nice to start a tour in Washington's San Juan Islands with a great ferry ride and views of Mount Rainier and Mount Baker.
The Northern Tier from the Pacific to Glacier NP is a great route - albeit with lots of climbing - but, hey, you've got a sag wagon.
After Glacier, the Northern Tier has about 10 million miles of flatlands - I suggest swing south via US 89 to Yellowstone.
US 89 from Browning to Gardner in Montana is a low-traffic, gorgeous ride.

In Wyoming, you might consider the northern route from Yellowstone thru Cody over the Bighorns to Devils Tower.
Again, some work climbing, but the rewards are many - some of the finest riding in Wyoming.
And then that puts you into the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Riding the Black Hills is pleasant - esp. in mid-summer in the Great Plains.
Then US 20 makes a great ride across northern Nebraska - way, way more scenic thru the Sandhills than Kansas.

This would get you to the Missouri River in about 6 weeks - maybe less with a sag wagon.
From Sioux City or Omaha, it would only take another 4 weeks to get to the east coast.
I would argue for a more northerly route in summer - cooler, plus fewer dogs.

Either way, it's nice to end your trip with a long ferry ride like the one at the beginning.
Possibly the Ocracoke Ferry - or across Chesapeake Bay - or across Delaware Bay - or even New York Harbor.
I think bookends are a very important part of a cross-country trip.

Pic - Tensleep Canyon in the Wyoming Bighorns

PS - I lived in Chapel Hill for many years, but I moved west in 1990 and never regretted it.
Old 12-02-15, 06:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64

My wife and I rode from Newport, OR to Boston, MA in 2007, roughly following U.S. Highway 20. It was a great ride. Highway 20 is the longest contiguous coast to coast highway in the country. We have done several long tours before and after this ride, but riding across my own country was pretty special....
Here's confirmation of that statement:

We live within about a mile of that eastern terminus, on Rte 20 (Commonweath Ave).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Nikon Download 6-8-13 092.jpg (95.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg
Nikon Download 6-8-13 094.jpg (98.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-02-15, 10:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Re: wind direction, it doesn't make much difference whether you do W-E or E-W if you're riding at ground level. The jet stream at 30,000 feet is another story, but most of the summer winds across the plains are out of the south. (Hmm, maybe you should cross the southern Rockies, and then angle up from New Mexico to Illinois?) A cross wind that's strong enough feels like a headwind in either direction.

The only really good reason I've seen or heard for one direction or another is for going east to west. In the summer (when most people do a cross-country ride), it gets hot during the day. To beat the heat, and to beat the winds that typically pick up around 11:00, you can get up and start riding at dawn. If you're going west, the sun is at your back and passing traffic can see (and avoid) you easily; if you're going east, drivers have to pick you out from the dawn glare.
Old 12-02-15, 12:45 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnroads
I hadn't heard of the Northern Tier route, although, I am in Canada and most of the Adventure Cycling Routes are in the US so the marketing might be geared more to US residents. Nevertheless, it looks like a very nice route, something to consider for the future.
Old 12-02-15, 01:16 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This is the route that I picked. Worked out well.

Jay's cross country trip 1973 - A bike ride in Fairfax, CA
Old 12-02-15, 02:09 PM
volosong

Originally Posted by woodcraft
This is the route that I picked. Worked out well.

Jay's cross country trip 1973 - A bike ride in Fairfax, CA
Thank you. Filed away for future consideration. What month did you leave Vancouver Island?
Old 12-02-15, 03:05 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think this route sound interesting:

The Trans-Am Trail | TransAmTrail
Old 12-02-15, 07:27 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Doug64

My wife and I rode from Newport, OR to Boston, MA in 2007, roughly following U.S. Highway 20. It was a great ride. Highway 20 is the longest contiguous coast to coast highway in the country. We have done several long tours before and after this ride, but riding across my own country was pretty special.

If this route interests you, I'd be glad to send you the link to our blog site which covers this route in great detail.

Crater of the Moon NP, southern Idaho, 2007

Contrary to what others have told me, riding in the plains and desert country is really interesting as well as challenging. Riding across Nebraska was one of the highlights of our XC trip.

Oregon's High Desert.

Please let me know how to view your blog. I really like the idea of using Highway 20.
Old 12-02-15, 07:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
What route [strike]would[/strike] did you take on a Cross Country trip across the US?

In that case,

“So bend your ear, and listen to my version
"Of a really solid cross-country excursion”

Back in 1977 my wife and I did a self supported cross country honeymoon ride from LA to Washington DC. We left LA in May 4, and had to be in Boston by July 1, We used state paper maps, and carried a USA road map to keep us on course. The Mojave Desert was pretty temperate that time of year, but did carry a gallon of water in the desert. In Goffs CA we were advised to avoid Las Vegas and steered through AZ. By the time we reached Colorado, we realized we were not making up enough time, so we veered to Washington DC.

We were from Michigan, and Day 1 was our very first Mountain Pass, As noted in a preceding post, the Rockies were not bad since the Federal Highways had gradient limits, and the stiffest hills were the secondary roads in the Ozarks, and Appalachians. We had one day of rain, in West VA, that kept us from entering DC on Sunday, but rather during Monday rush hour.

We naively rode French Road bikes with sew-up tires, and on two occasions had to hole up the bikes in a motel and hitchhike to a nearby city with a bike shop to buy more tires.

The major well-known points of interest were San Juan Capistrano, The Grand Canyon, Four Corners, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, the Mississippi at St Louis, and eventually Washington DC. But also memorable were so many small towns that become so interesting on a bike.

That is a very brief description because the entire trip was of so full of adventures, I don’t have time to relate. Every May 4, I start to recall where we were on that particular day, and even hour on that trip. Because we were newlyweds, moving to a new city and careers, it was a watershed.

Even almost 30 years after our last tour, I still read the Touring Forum regularly. I note that a subscriber, @jamawani is the go-to–guy for cross country advice.

Now though,

If I were to do a route that finished near Boston could you provide local knowledge on cycling around that area? I've visited and driven in the area a few times and I'd definitely need help on roads less traveled!!
Old 12-02-15, 07:38 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by jamawani
Is it Joe?

First off, if your wife is going to drive a sag wagon and is interested in Montana - - then Montana just might need to be on the top of the list.
And it's not a bad idea at all - riding Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park is one of the finest bike rides in the world.

There's only a very slight advantage of west-to-east over east-to-west as far as wind goes.
You'll have morning sun in your face west-to-east, but the afternoon sun behind you.

Since you mentioned flexibility on dates - a Washington State to Outer Banks trip starting on July 1 would be ideal.
I wouldn't start much before June 15 because of late snow and winter snowmelt in the Cascades and Northern Rockies.
You could start as late as Aug 1 and still get to the east coast in 10 weeks by mid-October - but days start getting pretty short.

It is always nice to start a tour in Washington's San Juan Islands with a great ferry ride and views of Mount Rainier and Mount Baker.
The Northern Tier from the Pacific to Glacier NP is a great route - albeit with lots of climbing - but, hey, you've got a sag wagon.
After Glacier, the Northern Tier has about 10 million miles of flatlands - I suggest swing south via US 89 to Yellowstone.
US 89 from Browning to Gardner in Montana is a low-traffic, gorgeous ride.

In Wyoming, you might consider the northern route from Yellowstone thru Cody over the Bighorns to Devils Tower.
Again, some work climbing, but the rewards are many - some of the finest riding in Wyoming.
And then that puts you into the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Riding the Black Hills is pleasant - esp. in mid-summer in the Great Plains.
Then US 20 makes a great ride across northern Nebraska - way, way more scenic thru the Sandhills than Kansas.

This would get you to the Missouri River in about 6 weeks - maybe less with a sag wagon.
From Sioux City or Omaha, it would only take another 4 weeks to get to the east coast.
I would argue for a more northerly route in summer - cooler, plus fewer dogs.

Either way, it's nice to end your trip with a long ferry ride like the one at the beginning.
Possibly the Ocracoke Ferry - or across Chesapeake Bay - or across Delaware Bay - or even New York Harbor.
I think bookends are a very important part of a cross-country trip.

Pic - Tensleep Canyon in the Wyoming Bighorns

PS - I lived in Chapel Hill for many years, but I moved west in 1990 and never regretted it.

Great ideas! I actually did a good bit of Wyoming the last couple years on Tour de Wyoming so I I'll certainly take a look at what you've suggested. I hope your time in Chapel Hill didn't warp you too much!! I like the idea of Route 20 around the Great Lakes and on towards the East Coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.