Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When you have several bikes does one get all the Ride time?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-22, 06:07 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

I have a nice Specialized Diverge
I went out and bought a Defy just to see if I could go a bit faster.
Yes the Defy is a bit faster, and has lots more useable gears, but I missed the Diverge's handling and low center of gravity and the way its frame feels on really bad terrain.
So just like in the past, the Defy is gathering dust.
This isn't the first time this has happened as I've gone through different sets of bikes. If you have several bikes, do they all get used?
Old 07-15-22, 06:57 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
I have an endurance bike (Domane) and a faster bike (Madone). I rotate them daily. The Domane goes on hilly rides at a nice pace. The Madone goes on flat/rolling rides at a faster pace.

I enjoy the variety.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 07-15-22, 07:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I tend to ride my light carbon road bike when I group ride, my solo road rides I use my Cannondale Topstone with the road wheels as its a very comfortable bike. I use my mt. bikes more in fall and winter and right now am mostly riding my new carbon FS. My local mt. bike club is amazingly on top of clearing trails so they are now ridable in summer.
Old 07-15-22, 07:51 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
. If you have several bikes, do they all get used?
...I can only speak for me, but I try to ride all of them, rotating them in and out of the lineup.
Today and for the past few days I rode this:

Last week I was riding this one a lot:

Most of them are set up similarly, so it helps a lot if you have bikes that are different colors.
Old 07-15-22, 10:42 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I found that one bike was getting all the ride time, so I let the others go.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 07-15-22, 10:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
For single track, I use the Trek mtb
For flats, the Orbea road bike
For hilly routes, the Bianchi (better gearing)

Old 07-15-22, 11:50 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I have three bikes currently. My Orbea Orca, Orbea Avant, and my Trek Checkpoint. The gravel bike gets the least miles per year, my Orca gets the most fun miles, and the Avant gets the most commuting miles. The rides depend on what type of ride I am off to do.
Old 07-16-22, 12:05 AM
JohnMorgan

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The Galaxy gets the ‘sensible’ miles, it has the pannier rack. The Renown gets the ‘fun’ miles, it’s 1/2 stone lighter :-)
Old 07-16-22, 12:55 AM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
In all seriousness, a lot of the bike trails I ride on are also filled with hikers and walkers. The Defy just doesn't let me jump a curb or pull some equally unorthodox maneuver to give pedestrians leeway. Feel everything is safer with the gravel bike.
Old 07-16-22, 02:35 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I can only speak for me, but I try to ride all of them, rotating them in and out of the lineup.
Today and for the past few days I rode this:

Last week I was riding this one a lot:

Most of them are set up similarly, so it helps a lot if you have bikes that are different colors.
your seat angles are wild
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-16-22, 05:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
I’ve only ridden my super fly custom ti road machine about 10 miles this year. The touring/commuting bike has over 1,000 on it this year. Most of them fully loaded. There is no crossover between the two.
Old 07-16-22, 05:08 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
When I ride alone, I ride my fixed gear bike. In a group, I ride a bike with derailleurs. When the weather is sloppy, I ride a bike with mudguards. If I'm doing errands, I ride my 3-speed with rack and panniers.
Old 07-16-22, 07:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have a LWB bent and a trike. Since the majority of my riding is done on in town bike trails, we have 130 miles of bike trail in town, the trike get most of the riding. The reason for that is it is simply the most relaxing way to ride, since you dont have to unclip at every stop. You set their till the light turns green clipped in, and ride straight off.
Old 07-16-22, 07:30 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I commute and have 4 bikes. They're all fun so I mix 'em up for variety, and to prevent repetitive stress injuries. Even though they all have about the same ride set-up there are differences. Obviously the big bike with the baskets gets used more for utility, trailering and snow. And the lightest bike gets used more for distance. And the folding bike gets used for throwing in a car trunk.

A great thing about bikes is that you can ignore them for long periods of time, and they won't hold a grudge.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-16-22, 09:50 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
your seat angles are wild
...I have since reduced the amount of upward tilt on the nose for both of those, but thank you. I am honored.
Old 07-16-22, 10:45 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
...I have since reduced the amount of upward tilt on the nose for both of those, but thank you. I am honored.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 07-16-22, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Generally, when I buy/build up a bike, it gets the lion's share of attention for a while, but then I find myself itching to ride one of the other ones and I go back to rotating through them. This year, though, after I built up my Litespeed, I find I'd be perfectly happy riding it forever, and for months I rode it almost exclusively.

But then I started feeling like the other bikes were getting jealous. And once I started riding them again, I kept having "Oh, yeah! THAT'S why I have this bike!" experiences on them. So, I'll ride one of them for a week, then go back the Litespeed for a week, then on to another bike I've been neglecting.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-16-22, 11:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
And one of those is a Brooks, which most people seem to ride nose-up anyway.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-16-22, 11:33 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I have two short wheelbase (SWB) recumbent bikes, a 2008 RANS V-Rex and a 2020 Bacchetta Giro A20. And share a 2010 RANS Screamer tandem with spouse/stoker.
Last year I rode the V-Rex 46 miles, the Giro 3516 miles and we rode the tandem 466 miles. Heading towards similar miles this year.
We mostly ride the tandem on tandem club rides and rides in preparation for those rides. Making sure we don't forget how to ride it.
The V-Rex is a great backup bike - I've ridden it about 17,000 miles and is there if I need.

Last edited by JanMM; 07-16-22 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 01:00 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
If you have several bikes, do they all get used?
As long as everything is working order.
Old 07-16-22, 01:06 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
The Synapse most of the time, Cujo after that for a local trail, the Quick is foul weather, gravel and other known rough roads. The R-1000 stays on the smart trainer. Have not used the Giant in several years
Old 07-16-22, 01:18 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
out of the four, two are vintage steel…aka bulletproof but heavier. both have decent but not great gearing for hilly stuff so they get a steady diet of foothills and flats. One of the vintage steel rides has a narrower (than i’m used to) vintage cinelli handlebar so it makes it a little twitchier than all the other bikes. when i wanna work on bike handling, that’s the bike getting ridden. the other steel beast has downtube shifters and is
more plodding but is great on bleepy pavé of which there is always plenty. other two bikes are a newish trek madone which is soulless but light with great hill-climbing gearing. pretty much only ride it on days where i’m planning on climbing more than 5,000 feet with other rider(s). lastly is the old ‘95 look carbon fiber rig. it has the most comfy set-up/geometry of all my bikes and the climbing gears are pretty decent. if i’m riding hard hills/mtns solo, that is the likely choice.

at one time, the three bikes i had all had the same gearing/cassettes which came in really handy for
bike trips. Would pack a complete wheelset (as backup) and a complete bike. there were a few trips where a rim got out of balance or broke a spoke and it was super easy to just swap out a front or rear wheel w/o losing time tracking down a repair. fewer bike trips the last few years tho.

these days, i try not to ride the same bike more than two rides in a row unless one gets brought on vaca.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-16-22, 01:18 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
If you have several bikes, do they all get used?
Yes, I have two, and going by the mileage back when I had cycle computers on them, roughly similar total miles during the course of a year.

The MTB sees more miles in the mess of winter and spring, while the road bike sees more mileage in the warm, dry and dust of summer and fall.

I also prefer the road bike when I’m doing a climbing workout because it’s lighter and feels quicker up the hills.

Otto
Old 07-16-22, 01:21 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Generally, when I buy/build up a bike, it gets the lion's share of attention for a while, but then I find myself itching to ride one of the other ones and I go back to rotating through them. This year, though, after I built up my Litespeed, I find I'd be perfectly happy riding it forever, and for months I rode it almost exclusively.

But then I started feeling like the other bikes were getting jealous. And once I started riding them again, I kept having "Oh, yeah! THAT'S why I have this bike!" experiences on them. So, I'll ride one of them for a week, then go back the Litespeed for a week, then on to another bike I've been neglecting.
Pretty much same story for me.
In the last 6 months I added a Habanero TI and then most recently a Pinarello F4.
Both are great rides and got lots of extra attention enjoying the honeymoons.
Soo many nice choices, its great to be bike spoiled
Likes For joesch:
Old 07-16-22, 01:30 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
out of the four, two are vintage steel…aka bulletproof but heavier. both have decent but not great gearing for hilly stuff so they get a steady diet of foothills and flats. One of the vintage steel rides has a narrower (than i’m used to) vintage cinelli handlebar so it makes it a little twitchier than all the other bikes. when i wanna work on bike handling, that’s the bike getting ridden. the other steel beast has downtube shifters and is
more plodding but is great on bleepy pavé of which there is always plenty. other two bikes are a newish trek madone which is soulless but light with great hill-climbing gearing. pretty much only ride it on days where i’m planning on climbing more than 5,000 feet with other rider(s). lastly is the old ‘95 look carbon fiber rig. it has the most comfy set-up/geometry of all my bikes and the climbing gears are pretty decent. if i’m riding hard hills/mtns solo, that is the likely choice.

at one time, the three bikes i had all had the same gearing/cassettes which came in really handy for
bike trips. Would pack a complete wheelset (as backup) and a complete bike. there were a few trips where a rim got out of balance or broke a spoke and it was super easy to just swap out a front or rear wheel w/o losing time tracking down a repair. fewer bike trips the last few years tho.

these days, i try not to ride the same bike more than two rides in a row unless one gets brought on vaca.
The best chance I would have to attempt some of the climbing rides you do would be with the Habanero TI I recently got for a steal, as it has Dura Ace group with a triple. I need to get this bike to CA as its overkill for North Tx where I dont even need a compact chain ring.
Likes For joesch:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.