Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best folder for roadie

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Best folder for roadie

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 09:09 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Best folder for roadie

What is the best bike or bikes that would suit somebody that would use it as road bike when traveling? It looks like there is a broad range of utility to these bikes, but are any focused on speed and handling on hard surfaces?

Mike
Old 10-05-22, 11:29 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Been there, done that and still doing...
Both are large wheeled options and ride like road bikes because they are.

Folding and about 9.5-11kg.
Change Bike 650B - Bike Forums

Breakaway (packs really small), as light as most road bikes out there
Quest for N=1 Waltly Custom Titanium breakaway all road bike - Bike Forums
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 10-06-22, 02:41 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
If you aren't too tall nor too heavy, look at the Tyrell FX or FSX.

These are real folding bikes and also real lightweight road bikes.

A road bike doesn't need to have big wheels but it should have a dropbar.

Last edited by Jipe; 10-06-22 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-06-22, 03:20 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
What is the best bike or bikes that would suit somebody that would use it as road bike when traveling? It looks like there is a broad range of utility to these bikes, but are any focused on speed and handling on hard surfaces?

Mike

I'm a bit biased, but...

​​​​​I'd recommend my bike. In fact, since I got my Xootr Swift my road bike has been collecting cobwebs.

Stiff. Light. Simple, uncomplicated, elegant design. Easy to replace and upgrade parts. Fast. Fun.

Unfortunately it's also our of production. They do come up second hand from time to time though.

Also, Origami Bicycles is currently in the process of reviving the design and in the coming weeks a new Swift will go into production (see Origami Swift thread for more details).

The Origami bike will almost certainly be a wee bit heavier than its Xootr antescent as its frame is Chromoly steel rather than aluminium. On the upside the new Origami model will have disc brakes and I'm expecting it'll be a great bike. Well worth considering imo.

There's also a titanium version of the frame available from Titan Bikes in China. Check out the Titanium Swift thread on this forum if that interests you.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 10-06-22 at 04:52 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 10-06-22, 03:58 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts

Mike
I just picked up a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, which is their road model with 451 wheels and caliper brakes. It's light and zippy.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 10-06-22, 07:32 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Great. I knew there must be such bikes out there. I am in awe of what Pin has done. Those bikes are extraordinary and the results impressive; I never heard of either brand before. His accomplishments are even more impressive for being done in an apartment, with kids, and in a city without the ease of picking up components easily. Just flat awesome.

I will also check out the other suggestions. The only one I have a reasonable chance of seeing in person is the Pocket Rocket, which reminds me of Rocket Richard’s little brother.

Thanks all. I now have plenty to sort out, but I know it can be done.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 10-06-22, 08:04 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
What is the best bike or bikes that would suit somebody that would use it as road bike when traveling?
I guess it all depends what you mean by travelling.

If by travelling, you mean changing location and stay there for a while like a consultant or technician visiting customer for several weeks at the time, I'd go for 650b folding/break away.

If by travelling, you mean short trip to a given location, I would consider a 20" folder like a Dahon Speed TT or Tern Verge X18, may X11.

If Travelling is overnight short trip with frequent plane trip etc., I would consider a Brompton Chapter 3. if all you want is a nice zippy ride after a day of travel.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 10-06-22, 11:19 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
I guess it all depends what you mean by travelling.

If by travelling, you mean changing location and stay there for a while like a consultant or technician visiting customer for several weeks at the time, I'd go for 650b folding/break away.

If by travelling, you mean short trip to a given location, I would consider a 20" folder like a Dahon Speed TT or Tern Verge X18, may X11.

If Travelling is overnight short trip with frequent plane trip etc., I would consider a Brompton Chapter 3. if all you want is a nice zippy ride after a day of travel.

Wheel size is definitely the first consideration.
Personally I like 20" 406 wheels because there's plenty of rims and tyre choices in that size and I also think that it keeps the bike compact. I wouldn't go any smaller though. Lovely though the 16" Bromptons are I don't think you can get a comparable level of performance out of them as a road bike. They do fold very small though and they are ok for zipping around town. I'd also personally avoid 451 wheels. These have a slightly larger diameter than the 406 20" wheels, but tyre choice becomes limited and most tyres in this size tend to be skinny road bike style which I don't think work well on the smaller wheels and actually adversely affect the bike's performance by making the ride harsh. Also because these have a lower profile than 406 20" tyres the overall outside circumference of the wheel ends up being much of a muchness.

My shortlist of bikes to consider might be:

Airimal Chameleon. €€
Bike Friday Pocket Rocket €€€
Moulton Double Pylon €€€€€+
​​​​​​Tyrell €€€
Pacific Reach €€€
Any Swift folder you can get your hands on. €

​​​​Any of the above should be good bikes you'd be able to comfortably cover a lot of distance at speed just like on a road bike. I ride my Swift in the Sierra Nevada mountains of Granada Spain where I live and a typical nice bike ride for me is 60---130 km with anywhere from 700 to 1700 meters elevation gain depending which direction I go. I can usually out-climb the roadies, though they do have the advantage sprinting on flat or more especially in descents. No problem keeping up though. I often draft the fastest road bike I encounter the flat last 15 km to the coast when I reach the old Granada---->Motril highway. I rarely encounter anyone coming up behind me on steep climbs because I'm just pretty darned fast going uphill.
​​​​​

Last edited by joey buzzard; 10-06-22 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-06-22, 03:59 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I'm not sure I buy the criticism of 451 wheels for a fast, roadie-oriented folder. I have Kenda Kwest 20 x 1-1/8 on mine (you can get lighter/pricier) and it feels like plenty of tire on a bigger wheel compared to 406 bikes I've owned, while giving that zippy 'road bike' feel those bikes lacked.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 10-07-22 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-06-22, 04:35 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
You wanna go fast/pseudo-race, you want 451 wheels over 406. Same size tire on 451 and 406, the former is taller by 2.25cm. This advice is based on experience with both wheel sizes on folding bikes like this one:

Yes, it folds.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 10-07-22 at 06:00 PM.