Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bar End Shifter Problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bar End Shifter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-21, 04:28 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bar End Shifter Problems

Hi folks,
I own a 2011 surly Long Haul Trucker. On the advice of my local bike shop, I replaced my bar-end shifters in September to resolve shifting issues. As you'll see from the photo I provide, the right (rear) shifter is now falling out of the handlebar, basically dangling by a cable. I have tried to stuff it back in but this isn't working.
1. What would cause this?
2. How can I repair it?
Thanks!
Likes For BROOKLINEBIKER:
Old 10-13-21, 04:35 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
no pic...

Answers:
1) Anything from overtightening to a rabid squirrel...
2) Don't know.

Questions:
Did something brake? What was wrong with the original shifter? What are the shifters? What Drivetrain?
Is the part under warranty?
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 10-13-21 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 05:51 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
Take to shop and have them show you how the thing installs. Very simple to do. The only possible reason for it to come out whole, assuming that is what has happened, is the wedge screw came loose.
Old 10-13-21, 06:42 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
Hi folks,
I own a 2011 surly Long Haul Trucker. On the advice of my local bike shop, I replaced my bar-end shifters in September to resolve shifting issues. As you'll see from the photo I provide, the right (rear) shifter is now falling out of the handlebar, basically dangling by a cable. I have tried to stuff it back in but this isn't working.
2. How can I repair it?
Thanks!
With my Microshift bar end shifters, there's a bolt that holds the lever on that's pretty obvious - same bolt that sets the level of friction. Remove that bolt and the lever comes off. With the lever removed (and dangling by the cable) you can stick a hex wrench into the part that goes into the handlebars to tighten/loosen it. IIRC it's counter-clockwise to tighten it into the handlebars. Then put the lever back and screw the bolt in to desired friction level.
Old 10-13-21, 06:57 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Hi folks,
2. How can I repair it?
Thanks!
1. Um, can't see your photo(s). Can't make any recommendation(s).
2. What are the details on the change? What were your old shifters? What are the new shifters?
3. Did your bike shop make the change or did you make it?
Old 10-13-21, 07:24 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hi folks,
I lost the receipt for the bar end shifters so I don't know the model. However, I believe they are Shimano Deore shifters.
Here is the photo of the shifter (stuffed back into the handlebar temporarily).
Thanks!

Last edited by BROOKLINEBIKER; 10-13-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 07:33 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
1. Um, can't see your photo(s). Can't make any recommendation(s).
2. What are the details on the change? What were your old shifters? What are the new shifters?
3. Did your bike shop make the change or did you make it?
#2 Bike shop said the front derailleur had a broken spring (preventing shifting) so they replaced the whole derailleur system. While the rear derailleur mechanism wasn't replaced, they did replace the bar end shifter for the rear. I now have (I believe) Shimano Deore shifters. I had Shimano Bar-end, SL-BS77 9-speed shifters.
#3 Bike shop did the replacement.
Old 10-13-21, 09:54 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
#2 Bike shop said the front derailleur had a broken spring (preventing shifting) so they replaced the whole derailleur system. While the rear derailleur mechanism wasn't replaced, they did replace the bar end shifter for the rear. I now have (I believe) Shimano Deore shifters. I had Shimano Bar-end, SL-BS77 9-speed shifters.
#3 Bike shop did the replacement.
shimano doesn't make "deore" bar ends shifters. what you show in the photo are dura ace. that's really all unimportant, though. what you need to do is take the lever off of the shifter body. there's a big flat head fastener holding it on. loosen it counter clockwise and pull it and the cable away. (the cable will need to be loosened from the derailleur first!!). once the lever is off, you'll see a big allen head bolt going through the shifter body. you need to tighten it counter clockwise until the shifter body won't move, anymore. make sure you try to keep the body straight, though, so the lever moves up and down straight. anyway, reinstall the lever and then the cable to the derailleur.
if this is all above your head, take it to the shop. or try to find a youtube video. i'm sure there's more than one "installing barcons" or "bar end shifters"

Last edited by thook; 10-13-21 at 10:01 PM.
Likes For thook:
Old 10-14-21, 06:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ this. To amplify a bit, before you loosen the flat head bolt that holds the shift lever to its body, go find the fixing bolt that binds the other end of the cable at the derailleur. That's likely a 5mm hex key. Shift into the smallest rear cog. Remove the crimped cable end and loosen that fixing bolt, allowing the cable end to move freely.

Then go to the flat head bolt that holds the shift lever. Loosen this, and carefully draw the lever from its shift body and allow it to dangle away. Shine a light within the shift body, and you'll see the hex head bolt that tightens the expander portion of the shifter body. As others have said, this will tighten counter-clockwise. Position the body correctly (especially with the lever mounting face in the true vertical), and then tighten to suit.

Feed the cable back in and re-mount the lever. Go to the rear derailleur. Set the lever in the downward (loosest cable) position. Feed the cable through the pinch point between the derailleur body and the fixing bolt washer, and then draw it tight with pliers. Tighten the bolt. Check the derailleur for shifting.
Old 10-14-21, 10:57 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies!