Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Reduce TDF teams to 3 riders!

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-16, 11:48 AM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sometimes it is fun to be provocative!

I enjoy the minutiae of team dynamic analysis somewhat, but that is more than offset by the race having 170 riders that I will never learn or care about (cruel, I know). I recognize some of the problems, but I am sure there are many more that I've never considered.
  • This would decrease the chances for an unknown rider to rise to the top. But how many riders beyond the top 3 on a team have done that? I admit that I am excluding the temporary "fame" that can be had in a breakaway. [That's a real question: I can't think of any, but I know almost nothing.]
  • Sprint teams couldn't have 6 riders, but there have been no (?) large sprint lead-out trains this year, and I don't think it has significantly changed the results or spectator entertainment If anything, I think it would tend to promote the best sprinter winning.
  • There would be fewer backup riders when one or more of the top riders dropped out.
  • Riders would probably find it more difficult to bond with a teammate? (Only 2 potential mates instead of 8.)
  • IT BREAKS WITH TRADITION IN A V-E-R-Y TRADITION-BOUND SPORT!
But there would be some significant advantages, some of which might offset those "limitations:"
  • There would almost undoubtedly be less crashes. A lot of crashes occur because there are 200 riders in a small space. 60-70 riders wouldn't eliminate the crowd effect, but I'd think it would diminish them.
  • Team budgets would drop, top riders could get more care, etc.
  • Spectating would become more enjoyable, IMO. Race watchers would learn the name of almost every rider.

I'm curious to see your reactions and I will learn from your comments.
Old 07-16-16, 12:23 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I think there'd just be more teams as the carrying costs would be cheaper, and the riders would gravitate to those they get along best with anyway. Net zero, IMHO.
Old 11-25-16, 03:33 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
Sometimes it is fun to be provocative!

I enjoy the minutiae of team dynamic analysis somewhat, but that is more than offset by the race having 170 riders that I will never learn or care about (cruel, I know). I recognize some of the problems, but I am sure there are many more that I've never considered.
  • This would decrease the chances for an unknown rider to rise to the top. But how many riders beyond the top 3 on a team have done that? I admit that I am excluding the temporary "fame" that can be had in a breakaway. [That's a real question: I can't think of any, but I know almost nothing.]
  • Sprint teams couldn't have 6 riders, but there have been no (?) large sprint lead-out trains this year, and I don't think it has significantly changed the results or spectator entertainment If anything, I think it would tend to promote the best sprinter winning.
  • There would be fewer backup riders when one or more of the top riders dropped out.
  • Riders would probably find it more difficult to bond with a teammate? (Only 2 potential mates instead of 8.)
  • IT BREAKS WITH TRADITION IN A V-E-R-Y TRADITION-BOUND SPORT!
But there would be some significant advantages, some of which might offset those "limitations:"
  • There would almost undoubtedly be less crashes. A lot of crashes occur because there are 200 riders in a small space. 60-70 riders wouldn't eliminate the crowd effect, but I'd think it would diminish them.
  • Team budgets would drop, top riders could get more care, etc.
  • Spectating would become more enjoyable, IMO. Race watchers would learn the name of almost every rider.

I'm curious to see your reactions and I will learn from your comments.
Be careful of what you wish for....

Grand Tours to reduce number of Team riders, for the TDF this means they will start off with 168 riders as opposed to 189. See more>>>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...fe7_story.html

The Tour de France, Giro d’Italia and Spanish Vuelta organizers said in a joint statement Friday that the number of riders per team will decrease to eight, instead of the nine currently at their three-week races.
Old 11-27-16, 06:55 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
It certainly would make the TTT interesting.

Not sure if simply going to eight riders for Grand Tours will make any difference. I guess we'll find out in 6 months.
Old 11-27-16, 11:54 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
In many ways, reduced team sizes make racing less interesting. A field of ~60 riders won't generate the power to chase down a 5-man break, since teams sand-bag the chase. You also have the alpha riders having to do their own bottle runs, etc.

Without the lead-out train, Sagan wins every sprint. He already wins 30% without having any lead-out support.

The other issue is fatigue on the riders. If they wanted to reduce all/most of the TdF stages to <100 km, then smaller teams make sense and become realistic. But if the current stage lengths, it's not even clear that reducing team size helps. Much of the team is support dedicated to protecting the top riders. The TdF would be pretty boring if there was ~10 min separating the favorites before you ever hit the mountains.

I would have much preferred that they drop the Continental teams (at least for the Grand Tours). You'd have reduced peloton sizes, several high horsepower teams, and enough support to allow the best to shine. The Continental teams are basically just canon-fodder, and their riders have caused way too many high-speed crashes, because they pull inexperienced riders. Granted, the reduced team size will put more riders into the Continental ranks.
Old 11-28-16, 09:21 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
but if you did that, wouldn't you have at least some well-funded teams (Trek?) having two teams (Trek A and Trek B) acting as one large team? just thinking out loud
Old 11-30-16, 07:49 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I actually liked the 5-man teams they had for the Olympic Road race. I think the crashes were caused by the extremely technical descents, not the the team number.
Old 11-30-16, 09:32 AM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Greg LeMond won the 1989 Tour de France, finishing with 3 other teammates.
Old 11-30-16, 09:41 AM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you want to improve pro racing...

get rid of race radios.
Old 11-30-16, 10:31 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
What's wrong with racing as it is?The fact that Sky is dominating has everything to do with a talent pool and training. It won't last forever. But there's still plenty of drama.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-23-16, 02:44 AM
roninguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FullGas

get rid of race radios.

Thank You sir for mentioning what I have been wishing for for years. No radio equals just race. Further imagine if you reduce the convoy of vehicles supporting the racers. Its a bike race that has a terrible environmental impact.
Old 12-23-16, 12:08 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by FullGas

get rid of race radios.

yes...Yes...YES!!!!!

― Bruce Lee
Old 12-23-16, 12:37 PM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Tour de France will have the usual 9 man teams this year.
Old 01-04-17, 06:05 PM
hefeweizen

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Six per team would be plenty.
Old 01-04-17, 06:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
There are the instances when a big wreck will take out 3/4 of a team. So... the more riders, the greater chance someone will still be able to finish. And, I think a few riders have risen through the ranks following a major crash.

I agree that the smaller races would likely be safer. And, the team dynamics of a 3 person team would certainly be different. No longer can the team leader sit in the pocket for the whole race. Perhaps there would be team alliances formed?

But, as a spectator sport... perhaps people wouldn't get so excited for say 10 racers zipping along, then vanishing over the horizon.

One could divide the race up to have multiple race classes, all doing the same course (or similar courses).

Men < 20. Men 20-40. Men > 40.
Women < 30. Women > 30

Thus, one has as many, or more people racing, just not all at the same time.
Old 01-05-17, 10:50 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I enjoy seeing a large peloton racing, and a greater number of racers participating increases the number of riders we can watch go off the front and showcase some of the great solo efforts or small breakaways that are at the heart of racing. Larger teams give more opportunities for up and coming racers to have their moment in the spotlight and show us what they're made of.

It isn't all about the yellow jersey. If it were, we'd never get to see the great sprinter battles - the whole tour would simply be the same half dozen climbers suffering up interminable switchbacks. I like things how they are, and enjoy seeing a broad range of racing styles and getting to know the younger/newer domestiques.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-08-17, 01:29 AM
KingCat
Banned

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never thought of bike racing as a team sport. I wish it wasn't a team sport. I would support no radios among other things.