Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Greg LeMond bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Greg LeMond bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 12:05 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greg LeMond bikes

Anybody have/had one that can comment on the ride and bike in general?

Looking at what I think is a 91...maybe a 90. Athena Group I believe. Really bad pics not worth posting. I think its Columbus tube.
Its a little rough but cant really tell how bad. some chips on the seat and chain stays.

Asking price seems really high. Idea on a fair value for one needing a full tune up and tires?

Last edited by Grim; 01-19-13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 01:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
There were a number of models, so who knows?

What I can advise is that in general his bikes came with longer top tubes for a given size than others. So, this may or may not be what you want as far as fir goes.
From what you describe it may be something to go look at and decide if the condition is from just sitting for a period or carelessness when it was being used.
Old 01-19-13, 02:01 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a bright red, 2002 Buenos Aries and I couldn't be happier with it- love at first ride.

The frame has a Reynolds 853 main triangle with 7XX stays (I can't remember if they're 731 or 725); very comfortable after 40 miles.

I bought the frame super-cheap in 2009, (painstakingly) restored it throughout summer, 2010, and have logged about 3K miles on it since (I only ride it in fair weather; my 'rain bike' & all-rounder is a Soma).
Old 01-19-13, 02:09 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a 05 tourmalet w/105 and bontrager wheels. It was 6061 alum w/ a carbon fork.

I think It rode great.

Lemonds came in many different frame materials over 20 years. Im sure different frames and different geometries rode significantly different (derp).

If your asking about workmanship/quality of the frames Ill say Top notch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (100.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-19-13, 02:09 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Hard to tell without better pics. Might be a Team Lemond Comp model....

Based on the pics, it appears to be made before Trek took over the company, so it may have more "traditional" geometry.

It's been for sale for a while and the seller seems a bit dim. The poor pics and 5 word description. I wouldn't count on any kind of deal.

Last edited by thinktubes; 01-19-13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 02:12 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Horrible pictures. Not sure what to think of the seller yet. I know he wheels and deals in what ever he can find. I amd finding stuff all over the place hes selling. Knows a little about bikes I think but not a collector.

Pretty sure its Athena bits. Looks like it was stored somewhere damp. I have a picture of the front brake and the aluminum looks a little cloudy. paint damaged on the fork showing a little rust where its scraped. . you can see the rear brake looks like it might have a little rust on the hardware. Hes asking $550. I'm thinking in its condition its a more like $200 range unless there is some collectors value to it.

Think I might wait it out for a while and see if the price comes down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GregLr.jpg (96.4 KB, 155 views)
Old 01-19-13, 04:53 PM
jonsan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks like a late 80's made by Bilatto in Italy. There were a few different models in the hierarchy with different specs in both tubing and components. I can't speak to the value of your particular example but obviously a frame built with SLX would be worth more than an Aelle one.
With Lance's tumble from grace I would suspect that Lemond branded bikes going up a bit in value and of course there will always be someone jumping on the bandwagon and asking $1000 for a POS because of the Lemond decal.

Not a Lemond bike but I would love to have (and pay good $$ for) an early 80's Columbus tubed Gitane Team Pro like Fignon and Lemond rode with the Renault team.

Last edited by jonsan; 01-19-13 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 06:11 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He's a man of few words. Said he bought it new in 93. Bikepedia lists a 93 as a "Lemond SL Athena". Every thing seems to fit Bikpedia's description but no picture. It list as priced more then the same frame with Ultegra. I dont know Campy hierarchy well but is a Atena considered better then Ultegra in 93? Looking at price it seems it would be the mid level of the SL frames and Pricey in 93 at $1850
Old 01-19-13, 06:24 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
I've actually been to see the bike in person to snap some pictures for another BF member who is out of state. If you'd like, I could send you those pictures. The bike needs a good bit of work to be a rider. Overpriced at $500. I wouldn't expect the price to come down. It's been listed at that price for a few months now with no budge. I want to say athena is closer along the lines of shimano 105 although many prefer the shimano groups shifting over the campy. I've actually owned a bianchi in which the athena shifters and rear derailer had been swapped out for the 105. It is a solid group though.
Old 01-19-13, 06:51 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
I've actually been to see the bike in person to snap some pictures for another BF member who is out of state. If you'd like, I could send you those pictures. The bike needs a good bit of work to be a rider. Overpriced at $500. I wouldn't expect the price to come down. It's been listed at that price for a few months now with no budge. I want to say athena is closer along the lines of shimano 105 although many prefer the shimano groups shifting over the campy. I've actually owned a bianchi in which the athena shifters and rear derailer had been swapped out for the 105. It is a solid group though.
Hay thanks for chiming in. I'll PM you my email. Sounds like the brother of the guy with the "Rare Univega Alpina Mountain bike Now down to a bargain at $400 " "This bike may have been the 1st production Mountain Bike."
Old 01-19-13, 10:13 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
My Lemond is a bit newer than that. Mine has a long top tube and will stretch you out when you ride. Pretty common for this brand of bike. The ride is fantastic!

X