Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C & V pet peeves!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C & V pet peeves!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 05:56 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I fixed a flat tonight on the bike I hope to ride tomorrow and after airing it up, I noticed that the label isn't aligned with the valve stem. I'm only slightly peeved though. A bourbon neat should fix that. The peeving that is, not the label.
More importantly, is the label on the drive side?
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-18-22, 06:57 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Yes. It is a directional tire and I would almost definitely probably very likely for sure remove it for that. But I just wasn't in the mood to deflate a tire I just mounted to position the label with the stem. That would have been a waste of air and waste is a peeve of mine.

Old 11-18-22, 07:34 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Brilliant use of a trainer, I'll have to copy that.

So, as a very casual rider and wrencher I really shouldn't contribute here in the first place, and apologies if it's come up already (it's a long thread by now), but I hate bike computers. Even period-correct ones, no, especially period-correct ones, with the sensor wire coiled around the brake cable, looking like a CB radio microphone. Gawd that's ugly.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 11-18-22, 07:54 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
So, as a very casual rider and wrencher I really shouldn't contribute here in the first place, and apologies if it's come up already (it's a long thread by now), but I hate bike computers. Even period-correct ones, no, especially period-correct ones, with the sensor wire coiled around the brake cable, looking like a CB radio microphone. Gawd that's ugly.
I'm also not a fan of the computer wires, which is why I bought a basic Garmin. It's only a little bigger than a regular bike computer, but no wires or sensors to clutter things up. If you really want to keep the vintage look, you can hide it in a pocket and it still records your ride.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 11-18-22, 08:37 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
That's not always possible. I recently put a Continental TourRide (700x42) on my back wheel, and it drove me nuts for about 10 minutes, because it's definitely directional, with an arrow, but the label ends up on the NDS. 🤔

I finally said why worry, the tire's fine. 😁
Old 11-18-22, 09:05 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I'm also not a fan of the computer wires, which is why I bought a basic Garmin. It's only a little bigger than a regular bike computer, but no wires or sensors to clutter things up. If you really want to keep the vintage look, you can hide it in a pocket and it still records your ride.
Most of the time I don't even remember to start the speedometer app on my watch. (And I would literally rather not ride than have my every move recorded on Strava.) It's just not relevant to me. Speed is dictated by circumstances on the road/trail and by how I feel. Like I said, very casual over here.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 11-18-22, 11:57 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Weenie worlds. LBS's that don't respect the classics, They'd faint if you rolled your vintage Schwinn or Raleigh in and asked for parts.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 11-18-22, 12:21 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I was trained to set bikes up the way Italian racers did. My boss was persnickety. So am I by nature, and I try to beat back that tendency.

A couple of years ago, I was setting up a bike for myself, and my intuition told me to rotate the bars back a bit. OK, a bit better. Then I tipped them back a bit more, and oh my goodness, I'm in heaven, why did it take me so long? It looks bad and feels good. I'm leaving it this way.
When the bike gets comfortable you know you're doing it right.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 12-09-22, 03:40 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,409 Posts
Pet peeves? Hmmm...

sloping crowns --> clunky

most standard quill stems --> neuter weapon, and flexy

dead horizontal top tubes --> lack of clearance for the boys, and boring

friction (non-indexed) shifting --> hunting around for the right gear

shellacing handlebars --> hello, changing handlebars?

drop bar ends flat with ground --> puts brakes a mile out in front

some others, while I'm at it...

lug lining --> most lugs brazed poorly, so highlighting bad workmanship

tubulars --> hassle, $$$, getting rolled or welded to rim

steel --> it rusts

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 12-10-22, 02:36 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Rusty allen RD hanger bolts, the socket the wrench goes in.

We spend countless hours and $$$$$ turning these into works of art only to soil the outcome by leaving a rusty eyesore right there at an apex focal point.

Yes it can be a PITA to mitigate, yes I am guilty of it too but come on, at least squirt it with PB, circle back later and scrub it out with something and close the deal.

And while we're at it, screw the RDO screws all the way in or take them out of any and all bare frames, especially for shipping, again.
Old 12-10-22, 03:21 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

We spend countless hours and $$$$$ turning these into works of art only to soil the outcome by leaving a rusty eyesore right there at an apex focal point.

Yes it can be a PITA to mitigate, yes I am guilty of it too but come on, at least squirt it with PB, circle back later and scrub it out with something and close the deal.

And while we're at it, screw the RDO screws all the way in or take them out of any and all bare frames, especially for shipping, again.

I wonder if a couple drops of evaporust w/ a piece of tape over those little allen bolt heads would do the trick. I have a few (dozen) I can experiment with.
Old 12-10-22, 03:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I wonder if a couple drops of evaporust w/ a piece of tape over those little allen bolt heads would do the trick. I have a few (dozen) I can experiment with.
Maybe, it can be pretty stubborn and IME just like any part, Evapo will work faster and better if you knock down the rust before it.

I usually PB, scrub with brass or SS brush and strip with brake or carb clean then soak.

Some things seem to stain if it has to work to hard on the rust or results are lackluster if the rust is bad.

They have gel that stays put but it takes a long time to work.
Old 12-10-22, 04:29 PM
kommisar

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz

What's yours?
pneumatic tires, chain drives, "safety" bicycle topology. Are you men or are you mice?
Likes For kommisar:
Old 12-10-22, 04:55 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

Swap out the steel bolt for aluminum or titanium.