Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Riding cycles (patterns I mean).

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 10:54 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts

I guess this thread is me hoping to find out what the rest of you have done.

I got back into cycling in 2013. It was then that I quit playing in a rock band (too many late nights in bars for a married man with a family). But I had to have something to do that would replace the time spent messing with guitars and amps and stuff. So it started with repairs and building...that led back into riding...which then led into more riding. Daily rides. Centuries. Whatever.

Back then, I rode a lot with another guy that has recently gotten remarried and no longer rides, and I don’t feel comfortable riding back into the countryside alone (no cell coverage and there has been a string of incidents). Although I don’t like riding with groups either.
I used to ride all over, from one town to the other, but I don’t like riding in the same places that I did as it seems like distracted drivers are even worse now.
I have a nice indoor trainer, but I get bored on it very easy.

I really want to get back on the bike, I just don’t know how at this point. When I do go out, I feel GREAT. In a good mood, less back pain, etc.

Have any of you been here? What did you do? Any help/guidance is appreciated.
Old 11-20-20, 11:09 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
I know I am spoiled and I too rarely do group rides. I am far better off situationally than you with a very bike friendly community that actively want cycling events. Nice 5 and 8 foot bike lanes for many miles through neighborhoods and town. But even with this ideal set up I find I have a very friendly route that I almost always take with very few left turns (across traffic) which gives me great comfort and relaxation. I have come to know the dog walkers, runners and just walkers on my almost daily route and we we always exchange good mornings. Not new and different but a very pleasant experience that I very much enjoy. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-20-20, 11:13 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
If you're really worried, you can get a Garmin Inreach. It works off of satellites (and better coverage than the likes of spot). It allows you to text your wife, receive texts, and to press the "come and get me button" if you're severely injured.
It also does tracking.
All this, but you have to buy the device and also pay a subscription for anything but the emergency panic button.
Old 11-21-20, 08:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
What kind of incidents are you referring to, out in the countryside? I have ridden all over my area, and i think I know most of the good roads within 50 miles or so, and a lot of them up to a 100 mile radius, and have never had trouble bad enough that I had to call home for rescue. A guy with a pickup truck once gave me a ride to the next town, though.

Have you checked out the local randonneur club? I believe there is a pretty active club in your area. Randonneuring is a good compromise between riding alone and riding with a group-- i often spend most of a ride by myself, but knowing there are other riders doing the same route is a comfort.

Couple weeks ago I was on a brevet... i passed another rider who was fixing a flat. He had found the tiny wire that cause his misfortune, but couldn't get it out of the tire. He needed pliers, which he did not have. But i did. I lent him my pliers for a few seconds, then i was on my way again. He passed me fifteen minutes later.

About half way through the ride i fell in with another rider whose speed matched mine pretty well, and we finished the ride together.

I am tired of the driving, though. Driving 100 miles to the start of a ride just doesn't make sense to me. I think I will go back to riding solo centuries.
Old 11-21-20, 08:37 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Drivers are more distracted now but there are also more of the courteous types. Riding earlier is better. Get a good flasher and a safety yellow vest and get back out there. I had some close calls last year and then quit my commuting. Thst only lasted 3 weeks and I decided that I wouldn’t let a few idiots in cars ruin my day. (It helps that I hate driving.)
Old 11-21-20, 10:15 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Ten years ago, I used to go out in big (60+ riders) that are held on the weekends. Was doing both Saturday and Sunday rides, 60-70 miles each day. These rides are pretty much race training at 20-24 mph. I was fast, but the effort left me wasted.

Found a gal and slowly drifted away from the big group rides. In hindsight, I was totally bike obsessed and not very healthy in spite of being fit. Found other interests, still biked, but mostly solo and went from 3000 miles per year to under 1000.

These days, I'm back over 2000 miles per year, but have a lot more balance in my life and hobbies. With limited riding options in a metro area, I do stick to the same roads, but found some good mix and match loops. The city has gotten more bikeable, so I go exploring when things get stale. I like to pick a point of interest and then visit it by bike. Helps to have a destination.

To sum it up, there have been many ebbs and flows in my 40 years of riding. I still enjoy it, but it's more about smelling the roses than winning the race.
Old 11-21-20, 10:56 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
I got my wife as my regular riding partner. It took a while - and some effort - for us to find out what riding style we both liked, but these days we ride similar bikes, at similar speeds. We usually start from home, with a nice restaurant for lunch as the principal destination, but we also drive out to other parts of the country and ride there.

Old 11-21-20, 11:16 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Hello!

Since we only live roughly twenty miles apart, I suppose I'll chime in here... I'm still young and fit, but within the past four years I got married, finished another college program and began working full time with lots of overtime hours during the summer (this year it was 320 hours over the course of 18 weeks). The time I have for cycling has dwindled seriously, and I'm mostly switched to running for year-round cardio workouts. Can't beat the fun of cycling, though, and I try to get out on weekends for a ride and during the spring and early summer when the evenings are long I get out rather frequently. I also enjoy riding alone and use it as my think time, although the company of my uncle (who got me into cycling) or a friend now and again is always pleasant.

If you'd like to ride together sometime let me know and we can make an arrangement!

From my new hub in Visalia I enjoy riding out in the area between Hanford and Corcoran especially. The roads are long and quiet, and while the larger ones are often recently paved many side roads would make excellent training for the cobble stoned classics! If you haven't been out that way much I encourage you to give it a go. Cheers!

-Gregory
Old 11-21-20, 11:34 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
It's time for a Cross Country or Trailbike..... a mountain bike. Get off the pavement.
Old 11-21-20, 11:41 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Hello!

Since we only live roughly twenty miles apart, I suppose I'll chime in here... I'm still young and fit, but within the past four years I got married, finished another college program and began working full time with lots of overtime hours during the summer (this year it was 320 hours over the course of 18 weeks). The time I have for cycling has dwindled seriously, and I'm mostly switched to running for year-round cardio workouts. Can't beat the fun of cycling, though, and I try to get out on weekends for a ride and during the spring and early summer when the evenings are long I get out rather frequently. I also enjoy riding alone and use it as my think time, although the company of my uncle (who got me into cycling) or a friend now and again is always pleasant.

If you'd like to ride together sometime let me know and we can make an arrangement!

From my new hub in Visalia I enjoy riding out in the area between Hanford and Corcoran especially. The roads are long and quiet, and while the larger ones are often recently paved many side roads would make excellent training for the cobble stoned classics! If you haven't been out that way much I encourage you to give it a go. Cheers!

-Gregory
This.

I like to ride my bike, but riding with friends is much more enjoyable. @Andy_K is my regular riding partner, which is a great motivator, even if it's just the typical "get it in" ride we often do. I typically ride more when there's an event or a personal tour coming up. These are typically higher mileage days, and we all know that a bit of training never hurts.

This year has been tough, though, no events, no credit card tours planned. To compensate I've done a few S24O type rides with a couple of people, camping outside, easy to social distance.

Both of you guys know I grew up in the Central Valley, which isn't exactly the friendliest place for cyclists, and I understand that there is "safety in numbers". I've heard that the tule fog days are much fewer than when I lived there, so hopefully you can squeeze in some rides over the winter?

Do what you need to do to keep riding. Knowing that you have a time and a place to be on an early weekend morning when you might want to sleep in is a great motivator. There are days when I've done that and didn't really want to wake up to ride, but a few miles into it I was always happy to be spinning my pedals.
Old 11-21-20, 12:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Yes, been there done that.
Did not like riding when I was a runner.
Family BS between then and 2014.
Built one to get out of the house (literally). An Ironman
Rode more but mostly with 1 dedicated partner, regularly.
Met some folks, rode with more, built more.
There seemed to be transition periods when some riders came and went, came back.
Divorced
Moved
Solo all the time and preferred it.
Joined a local club, no change.
Met a couple BF C&V folks at a swap meet....
Rode RAIN, met a lady rider in the middle of nowhere.
Rode some more, then a lot more in St. Louis
Realized that a century is routine.
I ride more now, build less.
Leaving C&V once I can get rid of the fleet.
Keeping 1 or 2, Leaving BF soon thereafter.

Hang in there.
Sheet happens

Cycling will likely change.

Last edited by StanSeven; 11-21-20 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Removed political content
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-21-20, 02:27 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I’m not sure where exactly you’re located since central CA is huuuuge, but I googled “cycling Modesto” as a place to start and found a bike shop’s page with some links. https://www.wowbikes.net/about/local...rides-pg61.htm

Again, I don’t know if you’re near Modesto, but if you want some community with riding, it might be easier than you think. I wish I could be of more help — I grew up in the central valley near Modesto, but didn’t get into cycling until I was firmly planted in the Bay Area.
Old 11-22-20, 12:16 AM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

I have typed responses and deleted them several times. Thank you all for your input. I will look into some suggestions and perhaps look to find others to ride with.
Kilroy, I may take you up on it.
Noobinsf, thanks for looking but I am closer to Bakersfield than Modesto...but I get it. If I look, I will find something.
RobbieTunes...it blows me away that you are thinning the herd and looking at leaving.
Gugie, you are correct...the Tule fog is way weaker and thinner than I can remember and I have enough time I will definitely just make a plan and do it.
Again, thanks to you all.
Here’s to hoping.
Old 11-22-20, 03:56 PM
Essthreetee

I got out today and will do so all week. Just decided...do it. Thanks again.