Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a bike repair stand question(s)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying a bike repair stand question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 09:20 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
The stand I'm looking at is considered the best repair stand it will take up to 100lbs. (According to a couple of sites)
Which other stand are you looking at?

This is the one you had mentioned in your first posting:
https://feedbacksports.com/products/...44212113637674
It is rated to a max working load of up to 70lbs. What someone else has done is of no consequence. I have no doubt you could put a heavier bike in the stand but it will not be stable and it probably won't last long doing that more often and a big heavy cargo e-moped falling on you would SUUUUUUCK! Stability is going to suffer, heck I have seen the Park E-assist lift stands become slightly unstable that is why we double plated them at the bottom. A lightweight aluminum stand is not going to do as well. Just be careful.
Old 03-10-24, 09:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Mine is bolted to a base plate. My old park double is bolted to a tractor trailer brake drum.
Yes, I’ve used one of those stands bolted to base plate of heavy sheet metal. Works better bolted to a concrete floor.

I own the Feedback HD stand that the OP referenced. I’d say 70 lbs is a realistic upper limit.
Old 03-10-24, 11:56 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
This one has a new edition coming out in June, but I wonder how much different it could be for someone with an older bike? Though, the one is a 2006 I think...

Also wondering if a Kindle version would be more or less practical?
the zinn book covers current and older technology

kindle vs hardcover is personal preference :

you could start buy looking at sections of the park online source....clear and good videos

Old 03-10-24, 11:57 AM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Which other stand are you looking at?

This is the one you had mentioned in your first posting:
https://feedbacksports.com/products/...44212113637674
It is rated to a max working load of up to 70lbs. What someone else has done is of no consequence. I have no doubt you could put a heavier bike in the stand but it will not be stable and it probably won't last long doing that more often and a big heavy cargo e-moped falling on you would SUUUUUUCK! Stability is going to suffer, heck I have seen the Park E-assist lift stands become slightly unstable that is why we double plated them at the bottom. A lightweight aluminum stand is not going to do as well. Just be careful.
The one I'm looking at is this one - which I would listed on the REI site:

Feedback sports pro mechanic
Old 03-10-24, 12:44 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Regarding your method of hauling. Since you're transporting multiple bikes, have you thought about a hitch mount rack? No need to remove wheels.
Old 03-10-24, 12:58 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Originally Posted by Outrider1
Regarding your method of hauling. Since you're transporting multiple bikes, have you thought about a hitch mount rack? No need to remove wheels.
I know... it seem so ridiculous, but there is reason for it.

We have two cars - one is an electric Honda Clarity and it's not recommended to attach a hitch and its would void the warrantee if we added it.

We have a 2009 Honda Fit we keep around for a second car and our "truck" for going to the garden center, hauling bikes etc. And we just don't want to spend the money on having a hitch installed on a vehicle we will probably be selling soon. The AC has been repaired 3 times in the darn thing and the last time we said, never again, because it's over $1500 to do it.

So, we just make do until we get a new car with a hitch. My partner works for the government and has been able to work from home for the last 4 years, but they have to go back into the office starting in a month and we will need a more reliable and comfortable second car now. THEN we will get a hitch which will be great!
Old 03-10-24, 03:36 PM
RumbaAsul

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also wondering if a Kindle version would be more or less practical?
As an owner of the physical book? I'd say the ebook experience would be awful. It's not the sort of book that lends itself to that format.
Old 03-10-24, 04:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

The one I'm looking at is this one - which I would listed on the REI site:

Feedback sports pro mechanic
That is the same one, I thought you had found a different one. If you look at the Feedback Sports website it lists the max working load at 70lbs and that is what I would suggest sticking to that vs. what REI says. You could ask Feedback Sports and have them check as 30lbs is a lot of weight.
Old 03-10-24, 05:02 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by RumbaAsul
As an owner of the physical book? I'd say the ebook experience would be awful. It's not the sort of book that lends itself to that format.
Have you tried using an e-book with an easel? Pretty rad. There is nothing like having the recipe you are working on displayed IN the kitchen while you work. Unless the Zinn book is spiral bound and can lay flat on an easel I'd rather have the electronic version. Some bike repair/maintenance/upgrade operations you are never going to do enough times to keep it all in your head.
Old 03-10-24, 05:10 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Buying, carrying around, and deploying a repair stand just to put on a front wheel does not make sense. It probably wouldn’t even be helpful.

I’d suggest the OP figures out what they’re doing wrong first— and they’re definitely doing something wrong— and correct that, because adding a repair stand is not the solution to the wheel problem.

Get a repair stand for any of many other good reasons, but not to put front wheels on properly.
Old 03-10-24, 05:33 PM
mams99

Originally Posted by chaadster
Buying, carrying around, and deploying a repair stand just to put on a front wheel does not make sense. It probably wouldn’t even be helpful.

I’d suggest the OP figures out what they’re doing wrong first— and they’re definitely doing something wrong— and correct that, because adding a repair stand is not the solution to the wheel problem.

Get a repair stand for any of many other good reasons, but not to put front wheels on properly.
No... I'm not getting it JUST for that. I need one for changing tires more easily and working on the bike period. It just might be useful to have one in the car when I have all three bikes in the car all taken apart which just invites mishaps/issues.
Old 03-10-24, 05:38 PM
mams99

That is the same one, I thought you had found a different one. If you look at the Feedback Sports website it lists the max working load at 70lbs and that is what I would suggest sticking to that vs. what REI says. You could ask Feedback Sports and have them check as 30lbs is a lot of weight.

Huh... I wonder what that really means. "optimized for 70lbs. Max 100 lbs". I'm going to guess it has to do with actually putting a bike over 70lbs on the rack without assistance? As I would NEVER try to lift my electric cargo bike without help!
Old 03-10-24, 05:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Huh... I wonder what that really means. "optimized for 70lbs. Max 100 lbs". I'm going to guess it has to do with actually putting a bike over 70lbs on the rack without assistance? As I would NEVER try to lift my electric cargo bike without help!
Nope not that at all. It is usually saying while it may actually mount in the stand and hopefully not actually tip over it is not designed to work at that load hence why they have a load limit. Lifting would have no bearing on the stand you could do it solo or with 3 people or whatever it is more about once it is in the stand. I wouldn't go above 70lbs without a stronger stand with a stronger base and arms and such. It is a lightweight aluminum stand and while it is well made I would keep it to 70 or less or figure out a way to relieve some weight on the stand maybe by having a sturdy wheel holder say at the front.

Having had a stand topple it was not fun luckily I was not in the way but it did destroy a glass top on a chest and I did eventually get a sliver of glass in my toe because I missed a piece and wasn't wearing any sort of foot covering but still it sucked and I learned to just take the batteries out and that gets the load low enough so it is stable. Though I now wish I had the Topeak E-Up stand I still would probably remove the batteries but it would make lifting way easier thankfully though I do most of my work on that bike at work these days and since I will own the shop I won't have to worry about home repair and probably won't have as much time for it.
Old 03-11-24, 11:21 AM
mams99

Nope not that at all. It is usually saying while it may actually mount in the stand and hopefully not actually tip over it is not designed to work at that load hence why they have a load limit. Lifting would have no bearing on the stand you could do it solo or with 3 people or whatever it is more about once it is in the stand. I wouldn't go above 70lbs without a stronger stand with a stronger base and arms and such. It is a lightweight aluminum stand and while it is well made I would keep it to 70 or less or figure out a way to relieve some weight on the stand maybe by having a sturdy wheel holder say at the front.

Having had a stand topple it was not fun luckily I was not in the way but it did destroy a glass top on a chest and I did eventually get a sliver of glass in my toe because I missed a piece and wasn't wearing any sort of foot covering but still it sucked and I learned to just take the batteries out and that gets the load low enough so it is stable. Though I now wish I had the Topeak E-Up stand I still would probably remove the batteries but it would make lifting way easier thankfully though I do most of my work on that bike at work these days and since I will own the shop I won't have to worry about home repair and probably won't have as much time for it.
So then it makes me wonder - if I should just skip the idea of every doing anything with he electric cargo bike (as it was recommended to always just bring it in for anything anyway, but it just BARELY fits in my vehicle and I have to remove things for it to go in anyway.

So, if I'm just going to get a bike stand I can use for the other traditional bikes (of which my family has 6) why go for the $500 one? Wouldn't one of the lighter ones in the mid-range and $100 cheaper be better for most people (including me)?
Old 03-11-24, 11:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
So, if I'm just going to get a bike stand I can use for the other traditional bikes (of which my family has 6) why go for the $500 one? Wouldn't one of the lighter ones in the mid-range and $100 cheaper be better for most people (including me)?
Definitely a decision to think about. Lots of us find inexpensive stands work perfectly fine. Others prefer shop-quality stands.

Like someone wrote above, using a stand might be a game changer for you. So you might start with an inexpensive stand, and if you find it helpful then you could move up.
Old 03-11-24, 12:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
So then it makes me wonder - if I should just skip the idea of every doing anything with he electric cargo bike (as it was recommended to always just bring it in for anything anyway, but it just BARELY fits in my vehicle and I have to remove things for it to go in anyway.

A good bike stand is more helpful than you can imagine if you really get into doing you own work, so get a good one, if you can find one that people recommend at $100 super, but consider going a bit more if needed....buy once

I got a park similar to this years ago and have been happy $250 https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Uni...097DZ9XRG&th=1

Old 03-11-24, 12:30 PM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I have like the next up from the most basic of Park Tool repair stands. My DW was stuck for a Christmas present for me and it must have slipped her mind that I already had a good repair stand. She got this stand for me. She is a good shopper. Does research. Reads reviews. The proof though, when I put this thing side by side with my big blue tried and true, there isn't much not to like. Since four of my bikes are tandems and I've never found a good way to get a standard repair stand to hold a tandem, I plan to use both of them, one at each end! As for the o.p., I think I've found them a bike stand. FWIW
I have this stand as well. For the price, you can't beat it. A bit clunky at the head for adjustments but you set expectations based on how much you pay so I don't find any of that an issue.
Old 03-11-24, 02:49 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts

I purchased th EVT right angle clamp last year. This clamp does a much better job than the Park clamp.

I bought this stand in 2014. I paid $350 for the stand and $200 for the base plate. I believe it is rated for a 120 pound load. I have worked on ebikes and it holds them no problems. This model doesn't have the lower pivot but it is easily slid around on the carpet. I took the Base plate which had both rust and oil on it to be sandblasted and powder coated for $30.
Old 03-11-24, 02:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I would still have the stand. If the bike is 100 lbs without battery that thing is way too heavy. However if it is 70lbs or under you would be fine and it is good to have stand at home for everything. It is good to just bring it in anyway keep it functional and running well for as long as possible.
Old 03-12-24, 06:14 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I've had a bike stand for decades, it's great for doing maintenance and for cleaning.

But, I don't use it for centering a wheel in the dropouts. For that task, the bike is on the ground.
Old 03-12-24, 08:13 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
I was in a similar boat as the OP. Wanted a bike stand, wanted it to be heavy-duty, as I have one eBike that's around 70 lbs.

The Park Tool one in the earlier ebay link has to be bolted to the floor. That's why it's professional.

The one from REI is way too expensive. You have to do a LOT of your own work to justify a $500 bike stand. Also, all of the bike weight is hanging on one side, so a tripod leg arrangement is unnecessary and takes up too much room. With a two-legged design, you can have it right near a wall for those tight spaces.

The floor-standing ones by Park Tool are very good, but also kind of expensive. I looked and found a nice used on on Craigslist for $100 and bought that. I'm really happy with it. Mine is an older version of the PCS-9.3. Here's their current line-up. Park Tools is an American company and they make quality stuff. Not as cheap as the Amazon stuff, but reliable quality. Here's the rest of their bike stand line-up.

Then, I bought an eMoped (120 lbs.) and there's NO WAY I'm lifting that thing up. I bought a set of Handlebar Jacks and that's my plan to work on that one. (I also put FlatOut in the tubes, so I'm unlikely to get a flat in the first place.) I'll probably also use the Handlebar Jacks on my 70 lb. eBike and only use the stand on my wife's, which is ~ 50lbs. I really like these because they're ultra-portable and they use the bike's own frame to support itself. It's like flipping your bike over to work on it, except that the "jacks" keep the stuff on the handlebar from scraping on the ground. They are US-made, well-designed and well-executed.

So this is your ultimate solution, I think:
  • Put your feelers out for a nice used Park Tool two-legged bike stand. (ebay local, craigslist, Facebook Marketplace)
  • Buy a (set of) Handlebar Jack for the short term.
You may even find with the Handlebar Jack, you no longer want/need a proper bike stand.
Old 03-12-24, 09:02 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
The Park Tool one in the earlier ebay link has to be bolted to the floor. That's why it's professional.
You can also bolt the stand to something heavy like a base plate or a used heavy truck brake drum. There are also Bench/Wall Mounts
Likes For Rick:
Old 03-12-24, 09:22 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
You can also bolt the stand to something heavy like a base plate or a used heavy truck brake drum. There are also Bench/Wall Mounts
A good point, but that would be a huge pain in the neck for a situation like our OPs. He was talking about a stand that breaks down for packing in his Honda Fit with three bikes.
Old 03-12-24, 02:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I bought a Park stand for use with our two 70 lb e-bikes. Sold the bikes and bought two new e-bikes that each weigh 27 lbs and are much much easier to manage.

With their carbon fiber frames I added a Silca stand adapter to support them without using the bike stand's clamp.

https://silca.cc/collections/workben.../hirobel-clamp

Old 03-15-24, 10:56 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Up until now, I have not had a bike repair stand. I just take my bike in for regular maintenance (which I will still do), but I've wished for a bike repair stand for awhile so I can more easily change tires or even line up a tire more easily.

Right now (and for the foreseeable future), if we want to ride our bikes, we need to haul them in in old Honda Fit. We can fit 2-3 bikes in the car if we take off the front wheel. The problem with this is getting the front wheel all centered up properly every time we do this. Maybe having a bike repair stand I can throw in the car will make that easier to center? (or is that silly?)

I figure I would also use this repair stand for cleaning the chain. It has to be easier than trying to do it while the bike is on the ground. I'm also thinking of getting the super heavy duty one because I have an electric cargo bike. The Pro Mechanic HD by FeedbackSports is the one I'm thinking of getting.

As you can figure out - I'm mostly an end user bike rider. I know how too change a tire, but that's about it.
I've built 2 bikes and service and maintain them with a $50 stand I got off Amazon.

I don't recommend it. And if you got multiple bikes and do lot of service work etc, don't buy the cheap ones. Get a good one. I've no idea which one, as that is what I am looking into now. The $50 still works fine. I may be able to just reinforce the tubing though? I may go to the hardware store and just buy some PVC pipe or something and glue it in there and see how that works out.

But if all you want to do is change tires and wheels, then yeah those stands would do fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.