Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Patch Tubes Anymore?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-24, 05:14 PM
Lionheart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

I kind of like the idea of not throwing away a tube for one little pinch flat. OTOH, I don’t have any patches. Can I use rubber cement and little scraps of tube? Does that work?
Old 02-27-24, 05:34 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
I patch, although more and more I’m riding my tubeless bike to avoid the flat issues. I think you need to use a vulcanizing cement, which rubber cement is not. I don’t know about scraps of tube, but I’m skeptical. Patches are tapered to avoid a hard edge, which can lead to a puncture as the tube flexes. I had this happen once when I had to boot a tire to get home.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 02-27-24, 05:42 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Get a REMA patch kit.
It's far superior than DIY methods.
With their feathered edges, you can overlap patches no problem. You can't do that with "rubber bricks".

I don't like stick on patches. They'll get you home, but IME, the NEXT flat is when they give problems if you have to blow up a tube to find a leak.
REMA is pretty much fused together.
Squeeze the air out of the glue tube before replacing the cap and it'll stay fresh. Waste a drop, save a tube of glue.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 02-27-24 at 05:49 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-27-24, 05:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Yep.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-27-24, 05:44 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Lionheart
I kind of like the idea of not throwing away a tube for one little pinch flat. OTOH, I don’t have any patches. Can I use rubber cement and little scraps of tube? Does that work?
Sorta but not well. There is a lot more chemistry involved then just slapping rubber cement on the tube and sticking stuff to that rubber cement. In this post, I linked to a technical note that discusses the chemistry in-depth…like Mariannas Trench in-depth deep.

You read the literature, do a bunch of experiments, and spend a lot of money to replicate the REMA TipTop system. Or you could just follow the Doneem hypothesis* and buy a REMA kit and be done with it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-27-24, 06:56 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
If I go into an LBS, even just looking around, will often grab a couple green boxes just to have around. The little boxes have many uses after the patches are used up too (though I have never had a use for the large oval ones, just the round ones).

scott s.
Old 02-27-24, 07:22 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Yes, I just patched one yesterday. Rema patches. I tried the "cut up tubes" experiment many years ago. Poor choice.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 02-27-24, 07:30 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I haven't switched to tubeless yet, so I patch tubes all the time (well, as often as I get flats, which fortunately isn't that frequent). I find it's worth carrying a patch kit to help out fellow cyclists; their gratitude is usually well worth the cost of a patch and some glue. I was a little annoyed at giving away a dollar bill this weekend to boot a tire, but I'd already patched the tube and it would have been a waste to let it flat again immediately (found the hole in the sidewall after reinflating the tire).
Old 02-27-24, 09:09 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
I was a little annoyed at giving away a dollar bill this weekend to boot a tire...
Carry a couple pieces of Tyvek for booting purposes. They can be dollar-bill sized if you like. Spare yourself the annoyance... and save money!
Old 02-27-24, 10:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
........ I was a little annoyed at giving away a dollar bill this weekend to boot a tire, but I'd already patched the tube and it would have been a waste to let it flat again immediately (found the hole in the sidewall after reinflating the tire).
50 cents worth wasn't enough?
Old 02-27-24, 11:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Yes
Old 02-27-24, 11:33 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
My first attempts with rubber cement and pieces from an old inner tube didn't fare well. But I have since learned how to do it and have had very good luck with patched tubes now. Tips-sand the heck out of the tube, clean with rubbing alcohol, put glue on tube and patch very sparingly and let sit for five minutes or so before putting together and pressing real hard with a tire tool. I've not had one fail yet. Some of my tires have multi patched tubes in them, but never a failed patch. If the leak is anywhere near the stem, chuck it or use it for patch material. If you have to go out and buy the rubber cement, skip it and pick up a Rema kit. Everyone seems happy with them. Good luck
Old 02-28-24, 12:00 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Not since I switched to tubeless but I will have spent at least as much on sealant and more expensive tyres and dynaplugs. The benefit has been time at the roadside and lack of waste - there is a place near here that recycles tubes fortunately but I don’t know how common that is.
Old 02-28-24, 03:13 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Yes, I patch. Except that, as others have said, tubeless is making that increasingly redundant. My wife and son have bikes with tubes but I am by far the highest mileage rider in the family and both of my main rides are now tubeless.

Having said that, when I was doing a lot of patching I found that I was getting through the patches much faster than the glue, so I bought some patches in bulk off eBay. I've tried the self-adhesive patches but they don't last nearly as well, IME.
Old 02-28-24, 07:20 AM
cyclomath

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I do, usually at home because I always carry a spare tube with me. Once a tube has been patched enough times (more than once and certainly less than, say, seven million times), I cut the part with the valve off and use the rest to wrap the handlebars (underneath the tape), patch things up etc. On rides I carry the very thin, self-adhesive and transparent Topeak patches (for when I get the pleasure of having more than one puncture), which work well but not necessarily for very long, while at home I use proper rubber ones which are much stronger and more durable, but also require glue.
Old 02-28-24, 08:26 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I don't patch - I replace. However, everybody knows that some patch and some don't, so I'll try adding something of value to the discussion:

If you don't definitively locate the source of a puncture and remove it, you need to accept the possibility that a sharp bit is still stuck in the wheel and may flat you again. Heck, even if you find and remove a shard, there might be more. Every time that happens, I would suggest slapping a dollar bill sized patch around the area to protect your new tube/new patch for awhile - even if the tire looks fine. You can always remove it later. I don't have any great suggestions about what might be the best material to use, but I suppose anything is better than nothing.
Old 02-28-24, 08:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I prefer to replace tubes on the road and patch tubes at home. That said, it's worth carrying a patch kit (see any LBS) in case you get two flats on one ride. And remember to put a fresh tube in your bag when you get home after replacing a flatted tube.

I'm using up my second box of Rema patches, still have about 80 to go (with luck, another 10 years' worth). After watching two bottles of (expensive) Rema fluid polymerize before I used it up, I'm using Slime cement from my local auto parts store at half the price. Despite the nay-sayers, I've found Elmer's rubber cement to work well, too.

The keys to making a patch work are, first, sand or grate the area around the leak well, enough to take the shiny mold release off the outside of the tube. Second, when the tube surface looks dull, put a thin layer of cement on and let it sit until it dries (hard to do when you're outside in the rain!). Then peel the aluminum foil off the back of the patch and press it on firmly.

One more tip: get a silver Sharpie and mark the location of the puncture. If you patch in batches of, say, half a dozen at a time, you'll save a lot of aggravation if you blow up the tube when you get home and run it through a sink full of water looking for bubbles. Mark it then, then save it for company. When patch day comes, sand, glue, sand the next tube, glue the next one, patch the first tube, and continue like a one-person assembly line.

Finally, on to the "why patch." Economics, for me. I don't remember buying new tubes for less than $4, and my last purchase was @$8. I can patch them for $0.25-0.60, so (worse case) I spent $60 to save $400. Yes, it takes time, but nobody pays me for sitting around the house on a rainy afternoon. There are those who refuse to patch; that's their choice. I've had almost as many flats from poorly made tubes right out of the box as I've had patches fail.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-28-24, 08:29 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I kind of like the idea of not throwing away a tube for one little pinch flat....
I patch all the time, maybe a dozen per year (for two household cyclists and a klutzy buddy), but I normally don't mess with pinch flats. Just punctures.

I also volunteer at some non-profit shops with limited budgets and we patch a lot.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-28-24, 08:35 AM
ScottCommutes

I go with dirt cheap tubes - $3.25 each.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Concord-R...7?from=/search
Old 02-28-24, 10:27 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I patch. And it's always a good idea to use the "right tool" for the job. Rema patch kits have a well earned reputation. As others have mentioned, it's a good idea to carry a spare tube as well as a patch kit. Quicker and easier to replace the tube and then patch at home. Another good idea, and one I've seen some skip, is to run a piece of cloth, or drier sheet (anything that will snag), around the inside of the tire, so as to ensure whatever caused the flat is no longer there. You could use fingers, if you don't mind a bloody finger.

Last edited by freeranger; 02-28-24 at 10:31 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 02-28-24, 10:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I go with dirt cheap tubes - $3.25 each.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Concord-R...7?from=/search
Shall we do a cost/benefit analysis? A box of 100 Rema patches costs $20 or 20¢ per patch. An 8 oz can of Rema 203 fluid costs $20. It’s good for 2 to 3 boxes of Rema patches, so let’s say 250 patches at about 8¢ per application. We’re up to 28¢ per patch job. There is prep time which is about 10 minutes. At minimum wage, that’s $1.31 worth of time. Let’s round up to $1.75 per patch.

I live in goat head country which means a lot of patches on a fairly constant basis. I have multiple tubes with multiple patches. My person record is 30 before the valve failed. At $1.75 per patch that’s $52.50 worth of patches and time. Without labor, $8.40.

Now compare that to replacing the tube. Using your price, 30 tubes would have cost me $97.50. Plus tax. Plus the cost of running down to the store and getting them or having them shipped to me. That’s going to add another 10%. Sure I could buy the tubes all at once but, honestly, I don’t have room for 30 tubes and, considering that I have 3 different tire sizes in my garage, I certainly don’t have room for 90 of them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-28-24, 10:41 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Yes.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-28-24, 10:43 AM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Plus tax. Plus the cost of running down to the store and getting them or having them shipped to me. That’s going to add another 10%. Sure I could buy the tubes all at once but, honestly, I don’t have room for 30 tubes and, considering that I have 3 different tire sizes in my garage, I certainly don’t have room for 90 of them.
Interesting perspective.

For me, bike tubes are a grocery item like milk. I go to Walmart and buy groceries and such and if I'm low on tubes, I buy some tubes as well. I'm never more than 8 tubes ahead for any given tire size so they don't take up as much space as storing piles of old used tubes.

A little wasteful, sure, but quick, easy, and reliable.

Sometimes I do get the urge to patch when the hole is super tiny though.
Old 02-28-24, 10:46 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
What happens to all these old tubes? Landfill?
Old 02-28-24, 10:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I patch MTB tubes (up to about two times) and was surprised to discover that Park's "glueless" system is working well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.