Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Klein Quantum Rebuild

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Klein Quantum Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 10:58 AM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Klein Quantum Rebuild

My very first road bike is a 2002 Klein Quantum Custom in a unique color that I have never seen on any other bike on the road. I haven't ridden it in nearly a decade and want to build it up with new/used parts. It is pretty much going to require 100% new parts and I have questions/looking for confirmations. I'm an experienced rider but novice when it comes to the exact details of a bike build. This is just a budget-ish ride for fun so not looking to break the bank.

1. It has a BB6500 bottom bracket and I know those are non-existent these days. Seems like going to a 5500 105 bracket would make more sense than up to the more finicky 7700 DA bracket?
2. Are there limitations to which Shimano groupset I can put on the bike (clearly just looking at mech, no electric)? I am looking for Double 105 or Ultegra as I want pretty much everything to be black (goes well with the gold). I probably would just buy an entire groupset so not too fussed about making sure certain components are compatible. I would also consider a SRAM Force set as I like how it looks.
3. Looking for a used carbon wheelset (fork is aluminum so need extra carbon to help with bumps). If I do go that route, I assume I just need to swap the pads on my brakes and that is it?
4. Will want a new headset as well since the old one is probably toast and I don't want it to be silver. Its just a 1 1/8th threadless so can I just swap that with a new one?
5. It has internal routing and clearly I need all new wires. I have seen Park Tool Kits that help you thread a new wire through with magnets or should I just get those tubes to go along the current wires and thread them through and tape to the frame?
6. It has the old Clamp on FD; is there an easy way to use a braze since most newer sets will go that route? Also is it possible to buy a black clamp to fit with my theme?
7. How can I determine what tire width it will fit? I would like to run 28s so I assume that will be ok?
8. Seatpost/seat/handlebars/stem/wheels/cages seem straightforward so not too concerned there.

Ok I think that is my laundry list of questions so far. Fully anticipate more to pop up as I dive in but wanted to clear a few things up before I start spending any money.

Pic for reference:
Old 06-03-21, 03:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6216 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 3,329 Posts
Wallet is pretty much your limiting factor. You could put Di2 on it if you want to go that far.

I'd get new everything, including brakes appropriate to the group set you decide on that is in your budget.

I know nothing about Klein's though. Try to coach your sentimentalism with the fact you won't make it much lighter than it already is and that you'll spend what might be a really nice new bike.

Might be a little less if you intend to mix and match deals you find here and there. But that seems a disservice to the bike. But maybe good for honing your DIY skills. It did do a lot for me when I built up my 1991 Paramount from a frame and fork. Put all new 105 5800 11 speed on it.

Almost did the same to my Raleigh, then realized it really wouldn't be that much a different bike. So I got a new bike and now wonder why I waited so long to get a really brand new bike. I don't ride my Paramount much any more. The new bike is just too fun.
Old 06-03-21, 05:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,018 Times in 2,683 Posts
1. It has a BB6500 bottom bracket and I know those are non-existent these days. Seems like going to a 5500 105 bracket would make more sense than up to the more finicky 7700 DA bracket?
Wheels MFG is my go to BB for my threaded needs, really excellent quality, MUSA and will last quite a while.

2. Are there limitations to which Shimano groupset I can put on the bike (clearly just looking at mech, no electric)? I am looking for Double 105 or Ultegra as I want pretty much everything to be black (goes well with the gold). I probably would
just buy an entire groupset so not too fussed about making sure certain components are compatible. I would also consider a SRAM Force set as I like how it looks.
Aside from a good deal of the 12 speed and all the disc brake stuff you can probably run whatever. Di2 would work fine or EPS or eTAP and possibly even the FSA WE could potentially work.

3. Looking for a used carbon wheelset (fork is aluminum so need extra carbon to help with bumps). If I do go that route, I assume I just need to swap the pads on my brakes and that is it?
I wouldn't bother with used carbon of unknown origin and even that I don't think you will get a better ride, your better ride will come with wider tires or something like that. What I might consider is the Cane Creek eeSilk post which is super light suspension post. That or you could add a carbon fork Whisky Parts Co. makes some fine carbon forks for 1 1/8 streerers.

4. Will want a new headset as well since the old one is probably toast and I don't want it to be silver. Its just a 1 1/8th threadless so can I just swap that with a new one?
Yes you can I would go Cane Creek 110 personally but Chris King would also work along with Phil Wood, White Industries and a number of more boring options.

5. It has internal routing and clearly I need all new wires. I have seen Park Tool Kits that help you thread a new wire through with magnets or should I just get those tubes to go along the current wires and thread them through and tape to the frame?
The internal routing tool works just fine. If you have cables and housing currently you can use that stuff to pull the new stuff through!

6. It has the old Clamp on FD; is there an easy way to use a braze since most newer sets will go that route? Also is it possible to buy a black clamp to fit with my theme?
You can still get plenty of clamps for front derailleurs. That is not a problem, Black, Silver or even ones made from crabon fibers.

7. How can I determine what tire width it will fit? I would like to run 28s so I assume that will be ok?
Take some calipers and measure and make sure you have the clearance.

8. Seatpost/seat/handlebars/stem/wheels/cages seem straightforward so not too concerned there.
Not a question but yes pretty straight forward but get some comfortable stuff and enjoy the bike to its fullest potential.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-04-21, 06:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked 5,467 Times in 2,776 Posts
Your new 105 or Ultegra group will use the HT2 bottom bracket. You won't need another Octalink. Apparently your Klein has a normal BSA threaded bb. Lucky you, some older ones used a weird press fit. Some quality, light aluminum wheels would be my choice with rim brakes. I agree with the Cane Creek headset recommendation but I've found the less expensive 40 to be fine. Nice looking bike.
Old 06-04-21, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Are those early brifters on that bike?

Any easy way to gauge additional tire clearance is to use some hex/Allen wrenches as feelers - check all of the tight spots: on the sides between the stays/fork, between the top of the tire and the fork and the seat tube, etc. Generally, manufacturers recommend 4mm of space, on top and to each side, for debris clearance, wheel flex, etc. Keep in mind, though, that some tires are sized differently, and one tire in a 25mm may be as large as another in a 28mm, even if it's from the same manufacturer. The current trend is towards wider rims, which puffs out tires a little more than older, narrower rims, so we're seeing that recently released tire models, of a given nominal size, are a little narrower than those from a generation or two ago.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-04-21, 08:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10990 Post(s)
Liked 7,511 Times in 4,201 Posts
Since Vegan answered your questions well, I will just add that I really like the bike color.

Also, its a shame this will need to move to a different forum...
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-04-21, 09:11 AM
clichty

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are those early brifters on that bike?

Any easy way to gauge additional tire clearance is to use some hex/Allen wrenches as feelers - check all of the tight spots: on the sides between the stays/fork, between the top of the tire and the fork and the seat tube, etc. Generally, manufacturers recommend 4mm of space, on top and to each side, for debris clearance, wheel flex, etc. Keep in mind, though, that some tires are sized differently, and one tire in a 25mm may be as large as another in a 28mm, even if it's from the same manufacturer. The current trend is towards wider rims, which puffs out tires a little more than older, narrower rims, so we're seeing that recently released tire models, of a given nominal size, are a little narrower than those from a generation or two ago.
No I don't think they are super early brifters, the cap is just broken off the right one so it looks funny...
Old 06-04-21, 09:11 AM
clichty

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Wheels MFG is my go to BB for my threaded needs, really excellent quality, MUSA and will last quite a while.

2. Are there limitations to which Shimano groupset I can put on the bike (clearly just looking at mech, no electric)? I am looking for Double 105 or Ultegra as I want pretty much everything to be black (goes well with the gold). I probably would
just buy an entire groupset so not too fussed about making sure certain components are compatible. I would also consider a SRAM Force set as I like how it looks.
Aside from a good deal of the 12 speed and all the disc brake stuff you can probably run whatever. Di2 would work fine or EPS or eTAP and possibly even the FSA WE could potentially work.

I wouldn't bother with used carbon of unknown origin and even that I don't think you will get a better ride, your better ride will come with wider tires or something like that. What I might consider is the Cane Creek eeSilk post which is super light suspension post. That or you could add a carbon fork Whisky Parts Co. makes some fine carbon forks for 1 1/8 streerers.

Yes you can I would go Cane Creek 110 personally but Chris King would also work along with Phil Wood, White Industries and a number of more boring options.

The internal routing tool works just fine. If you have cables and housing currently you can use that stuff to pull the new stuff through!

You can still get plenty of clamps for front derailleurs. That is not a problem, Black, Silver or even ones made from crabon fibers.

Take some calipers and measure and make sure you have the clearance.

Not a question but yes pretty straight forward but get some comfortable stuff and enjoy the bike to its fullest potential.
Didn't expect a full response on all so thanks for that! All very helpful and confirming.
Likes For clichty:
Old 06-04-21, 09:14 AM
clichty

Originally Posted by Iride01
Wallet is pretty much your limiting factor. You could put Di2 on it if you want to go that far.

I'd get new everything, including brakes appropriate to the group set you decide on that is in your budget.

I know nothing about Klein's though. Try to coach your sentimentalism with the fact you won't make it much lighter than it already is and that you'll spend what might be a really nice new bike.

Might be a little less if you intend to mix and match deals you find here and there. But that seems a disservice to the bike. But maybe good for honing your DIY skills. It did do a lot for me when I built up my 1991 Paramount from a frame and fork. Put all new 105 5800 11 speed on it.

Almost did the same to my Raleigh, then realized it really wouldn't be that much a different bike. So I got a new bike and now wonder why I waited so long to get a really brand new bike. I don't ride my Paramount much any more. The new bike is just too fun.
Agreed there is a lot of sentimentalism in this rebuild; along with just the desire to learn how to build a bike up from the frame.

It also will make for a great bike to keep on my trainer year round. Currently I just have 1 real road bike so once spring hits; I take it off the Wahoo. Would be nice to have the ability to have a bike ready for full time trainer status for rainy/crazy hot days.
Old 06-04-21, 09:27 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Are you sure a 2002 has an alloy fork? I have a mid-range 2006 Bianchi that's got carbon blades/alloy crown and steerer.

Anyway, those paired spoke Rolf wheels (I think) look pretty sweet - though I have no idea how they ride.

- One thing to make sure of is that not only can your frame handle wider tires, but also your fork and brakes.
- If you decide to change handlebars, you're going to want a new stem. Current clamps are 31.8mm, old ones are 26mm.
- Klein used 31.6mm seatposts. Might be worth shimming a 27.2 carbon post for a little extra compliance
- Are you planning on upgrading the bike to modern 11-speed, or just less-worn-out 9-speed? If 11-speed, have fun wading into modern crank/BB interfaces...

Have fun. I wanted a Klein in my younger days - amazing welds and paint jobs definitely made them stand out.
Old 06-04-21, 09:40 AM
clichty

Originally Posted by aliasfox
Are you sure a 2002 has an alloy fork? I have a mid-range 2006 Bianchi that's got carbon blades/alloy crown and steerer.

Anyway, those paired spoke Rolf wheels (I think) look pretty sweet - though I have no idea how they ride.

- One thing to make sure of is that not only can your frame handle wider tires, but also your fork and brakes.
- If you decide to change handlebars, you're going to want a new stem. Current clamps are 31.8mm, old ones are 26mm.
- Klein used 31.6mm seatposts. Might be worth shimming a 27.2 carbon post for a little extra compliance
- Are you planning on upgrading the bike to modern 11-speed, or just less-worn-out 9-speed? If 11-speed, have fun wading into modern crank/BB interfaces...

Have fun. I wanted a Klein in my younger days - amazing welds and paint jobs definitely made them stand out.
It is just an aluminum fork, can confirm that. Clearly I could put a carbon but it would ruin the great paint job coordination so don’t want that.

Yes getting a new handlebar and stem 31.8 and just making sure I have a 1 1/8 stem.

Also agree on the seatpost. Probably will shim in a more modern one.

I was planning on going with a used 11 speed ultegra. I thought the bottom bracket would still work?
Old 06-04-21, 10:07 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
No, don't ruin the paint job coordination - especially on a Klein!

Shimano went to external BBs sometime in the distant past - new cranks have the BB spindle built into the drive-side crank arm, and the BB cups (no spindles) sit just outside the BB shell. So if you're looking for Ultegra 6800 or 8000, you're definitely switching out BBs with the new crank. Honestly, just googling it, it looks like the crank-spindle interface may have changed with the release of 10-speed 6600 - and my Bianchi (older than 2006 actually... 04 or 05?) was one of the last years with the splined setup.
Old 06-04-21, 10:55 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I've never seen a Klein I didn't like. Very Nice!
Old 06-04-21, 11:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by clichty
I was planning on going with a used 11 speed ultegra. I thought the bottom bracket would still work?
modern Ultegra cranksets on threaded shells use an external HT2 bottom bracket. That is different from what your bike currently has.
an external threaded HT2 bb costs $25 or 30.
Old 06-04-21, 12:37 PM
clichty

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
modern Ultegra cranksets on threaded shells use an external HT2 bottom bracket. That is different from what your bike currently has.
an external threaded HT2 bb costs $25 or 30.
Got it. That should fit just fine? IE would this one fit?
Old 06-04-21, 12:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Got it. That should fit just fine? IE would this one fit?
Yes. You need a tool to fit over the splines to tighten each side.
Old 06-05-21, 08:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,018 Times in 2,683 Posts
Didn't expect a full response on all so thanks for that! All very helpful and confirming.
Always happy to help and especially on Kleins, I do like Kleins for some reason. I don't generally like aluminum bikes nor do I like press fit stuff but Klein just seems to have some magic behind them. Let us know if you have more questions and certainly keep us updated on progress with some pictures.
Old 06-06-21, 04:10 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Carbon rims won't improve the ride. Get a nice light carbon seatpost, and if your seat tube takes much bigger than a 27.2, it might be worth shimming it down.
Old 10-07-21, 12:08 PM
clichty

Ok update necessary as it's been a few months. I got pretty much everything off, on and ready to go. Took it into the shop to finalize wiring and hit a massive roadblock. The shop, and every shop I have contacted/google searched, cannot locate any cable stops for the internal routing. Without those stops, the bike cannot be finished. Looking for the tiny metal piece to be inserted. One guy even used to work for Klein and he was stumped on what to do.

Anybody have any ideas for this? I would hate for the frame to be trashed because of this super tiny issue but as it stands I purchased a bunch of parts for a useless frame...

(Sorry for the messy pictures)

Old 10-07-21, 02:04 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ok update necessary as it's been a few months. I got pretty much everything off, on and ready to go. Took it into the shop to finalize wiring and hit a massive roadblock. The shop, and every shop I have contacted/google searched, cannot locate any cable stops for the internal routing. Without those stops, the bike cannot be finished. Looking for the tiny metal piece to be inserted. One guy even used to work for Klein and he was stumped on what to do.

Anybody have any ideas for this? I would hate for the frame to be trashed because of this super tiny issue but as it stands I purchased a bunch of parts for a useless frame...

Find someone with a lathe. Simple to whip up something out of material of your choice.
Don't give up.
Good luck
Likes For stevoo:
Old 10-07-21, 03:39 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
There's the other route... don't "rebuild" that Klein - "unbuild" it.
I thought it'd be more a novelty, wall art even... but I ended riding this bike a lot - at least once a week.

Old 10-08-21, 07:44 AM
clichty

Originally Posted by stevoo
Find someone with a lathe. Simple to whip up something out of material of your choice.
Don't give up.
Good luck
In theory yes I have explored this. Problem is I don't know exactly what it needs to look like. Not ready to give up yet and I'll give myself the winter to figure it out but want to have something to ride in the spring.
Old 10-08-21, 09:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,487 Times in 1,841 Posts
In theory yes I have explored this. Problem is I don't know exactly what it needs to look like. Not ready to give up yet and I'll give myself the winter to figure it out but want to have something to ride in the spring.
As far as I know it just has to plug the hole in the frame with a small hole in the middle for the cable---if you can get a sleeve for the cable housing, great. I'd bet you could take a threaded cable adjuster, wrap it in duct tape until it fit snugly, and stick it in the hole..

https://eurocycles.com/inline-barrel-cable-adjuster/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12492691807...96b0bbc87f63d3
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12456828781...7cf2c52b985953

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0
Old 10-08-21, 11:23 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts

Here are a couple of possible options: (I don't know if they will actually fit though)

https://www.excelsports.com/cervelo-...ift-cable-stop

https://blueskycycling.com/products/...nserts-10-pack
^^^--May be able to find those on ebay too
Old 09-05-23, 03:20 PM
classic carl
Old newbie

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5, 2002 Klein Quantum, 2000 Trek 8000, 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 22 Posts

Did you ever finish this build?
I had my '02 Quantum rebuilt this past spring. Those cable inserts were one of the first things I asked about before ordering parts. My mechanic friend said that he'd figure it out. I think he either used flanged ferrules and cable housing ends, or probably small washers glued to housing ends. I added some photos of the rebuild and the inserts below. The knurled one in the photo might be original. The other 2 are not.
Everything is new, except for the frame, paint, Cane Creek headset, and carbon fork. I'd be really surprised if your fork isn't carbon. The build consisted of Shimano 2x11 105 groupset, Whisky carbon (31.6 mm dia.) seatpost, Whisky alloy stem, Dimension flat top alloy bar, Fizik Arione Classic saddle, Supacaz bar tape, and Bontrager R3 tubeless tires. I'm ordering a Rolf Prima Elan alloy rim brake wheelset that weighs 1345g later this week. I love the Bontrager RXL wheelset on there now, but they are nearing the end of their braking surface life.

Last edited by classic carl; 09-05-23 at 07:44 PM.
Likes For classic carl: