Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

We Don't Do Ourselves Any Favors

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

We Don't Do Ourselves Any Favors

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 02:19 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 834 Posts
The current AASHTO Guide for Bicycle Facilities has an extensive discussion of right of way assignment at path-roadway intersections, noting that if a busy path is assigned the stop and the crossing roadway has low speeds and volumes, then the observed behavior may not match the expected behavior.
Old 08-20-23, 02:21 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 834 Posts
This situation also reminds me of visiting Montreal and stopping at a red bicycle signal on a 2-way sidepath. The riders behind me taught me all sorts of new words in French as they angrily swerved around me and entered the intersection anyway.

I analyzed the signal cycle timing - bicyclists on the main street got a whopping 7 seconds of bicycle green in a 70 second cycle. Not much. They adapted by not accepting the added delay and proceeding into the intersection anyway, cross traffic or not.

Normally, conflicts (where a road user must swerve or brake to avoid colliding with another) are a good surrogate for assessing crash risk. But at these Montreal intersections, the motor traffic was going 25 mph or less due to geometrics and congestion, which gave added perception/reaction time. So I witnessed numerous conflicts nearly every signal cycle (with bonus high-volume French phrases), but no crashes. And the reported official crash rate is apparently rather low at these intersections.

However, when these 2-way facilities have been transplanted parallel to higher-speed roads in other cities, there have been numerous severe crashes. Context, travel speed, and appropriate design matters.
Old 08-20-23, 06:56 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
[QUOTE=Paul Barnard;22989671]A year or so ago, I started a thread about a guy on a bicycle that passed me, whipped out in front of a car and got smacked.

You shouldn't assume the worst of the guys that got smacked. I'm currently recovering from broken ribs, because I was riding reckless and decided to take the hit (riding into a parked car) rather than cut a person like you off. based on what ive seen of you post, you wouldn't understand why I did what I did and likely don't understand many of the altercations you see on the road.
Old 08-20-23, 07:36 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Reminds me of a time many years ago in a galaxy far, far away, when I was riding a MUP near Seattle with lots of cross streets. (The Burke-Gilman) The posted speed on the trail is 15 but seeing people hitting 20+ was not unusual as they dodged dog walkers, people with their kids and strollers.

I was a scofflaw doing 18 approaching a road crossing where trail users had the stop sign. As I was approaching a car was looking to cross over about 50 feet away when a hot-shot passed me doing 20+. The timing of him running the stop coincided perfectly with the car reaching the trail crossing. The car tried to stop but contacted his rear wheel, throwing him down. The person driving was a female in her late teens or early 20s. She immediately got out of the car to see if the guy was alright when he started cursing at her. She was extremely upset about the making contact and his tirade (he was probably about 16-17) which was her complete undoing. I stopped and interjected that he was clearly in the wrong, was at fault and was responsible for the accident by running the stop. He then turned his tirade toward me while I tried to console the driver to let her know she did nothing wrong. I told her to go on and forget him and told him to grow up and take responsibility and left him with his bent rear wheel.
The correct action would be to call the police and have them make out an accident report, to which you could add your testimony.
Old 08-20-23, 07:45 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I recently witnessed a cyclist that definitely gives all cyclists a bad name. I was riding east and slightly downhill on North 34th Street in Seattle. Since I could see that the light had turned red I came to stop at the cross street which is Troll Avenue North as did a couple of other bikes behind me. We were all in the designated bike lane and just for bikes. Just shortly after I had come to a stop a RickyRacer type came screaming through the intersection at a high rate of speed (easily 24mph+). A car to my right entered the intersection north bound as they had the green light. RickyRacer slammed on his brakes and fishtailed through the intersection, missing the front end of the car buy about 6-12". The car also had also slammed on their brakes and stopped quickly as they were going very slow. RickyRacer, who was not hit and was very lucky that day, just continued on his way as if nothing had happened. A few cyclists behind me commented (negatively) on this guy who had no regard for traffic control lights.

Last edited by SpeedyBlueBiker; 08-21-23 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-20-23, 09:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
The correct action would be to call the police and have them make out an accident report, to which you could add your testimony.
Thanks mom.

That occurred over thirty years ago and as far as I was concerned, the idiot kid got what he deserved. No one was injured or harmed, just his back wheel. No need to report it as hopefully he learned a lesson.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-20-23 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-21-23, 04:37 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Paul Barnard: To avoid liability and/or unintentionally causing a collision, I would have stopped at the stop sign but not wave the motor vehicle across. If the driver is hesitant, I would have merely pointed at the stop sign I was stopping at.
I have to agree, obey the law but don't direct traffic. But the point of Paul's post is dead on, I know why they hate us. I live in the midst of some great road cycling right out my front door and there are two big cycling clubs to the north and south of me. Thank goodness it's a little out of the way for both of them because people who pass me on a daily basis give me a wide berth and wave with their whole hand. I've seen prime road riding areas become unrideable because of ******bags on bicycles.
Old 08-21-23, 06:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
"Don't be polite. Be predictable"
Great phrase!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-21-23, 08:26 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ll often look away or pretend to be interested in my cycle computer to convey the idea that I’m not going to proceed.
That's good. If they don't take the hint, pull out your water bottle and take a nice long squirt to make clear you're not going yet.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 08-21-23, 09:34 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
executing the Idaho Stop.
I LOVE the Idaho stop, and am hoping it will get passed in my state. And that is basically how I ride. But I also know that for some people, blowing stop signs somehow never takes on the characteristics of the Yield sign, which is what the Idaho stop law means. The very concept of how a yield sign works seems beyond the comprehension of many motorists and cyclists alike.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 08-21-23, 09:40 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Paul Barnard: To avoid liability and/or unintentionally causing a collision, I would have stopped at the stop sign but not wave the motor vehicle across. If the driver is hesitant, I would have merely pointed at the stop sign I was stopping at.
Set aside the issue of potential liability for the moment. In my experience, whether driving, cycling, or walking, when one road user starts waving to another road user to move, the latter frequently focuses solely on the former and pays scant attention to additional road users at or approaching the intersection, regardless of traffic signal and signage.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-21-23, 09:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
You waving a driver on could be interpreted by the driver as you telling it’s safe vis-a-vis other road users. If it’s not and there is, say, a vehicle collision, I can see you being dragged into a law suit.
This is a very good point. Along that line, I don't wave drivers to come around me. I see that done all the time, and used to do it myself, but I finally realized it's just not a good idea.
Old 08-21-23, 09:59 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
You missed the point. By waving, he IS acting as a flagman and thus arguably has assumed a duty to the motorist. As a lawyer, it’s my opinion that it’s best not to wave anyone on. Let the motorist decide for themselves whether it’s safe to proceed. In this case, inaction is more prudent choice. That’s the way the law works.
I didn't miss your point. I have an opposing view. The way the law works is there are always more than one side. A judge or a jury decides which is more correct given the circumstances.
Old 08-21-23, 10:06 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
I didn't miss your point. I have an opposing view. The way the law works is there are always more than one side. A judge or a jury decides which is more correct given the circumstances.
In all likelihood, the decision is made not by a judge or jury, but during a negotiation between your insurance carrier and the insurance carriers of the other involved parties.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-21-23, 10:43 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I time my stops also. I am guilty of waving a motorist through rather than guess whose turn it is. You've made me consider this isn't a good practice. I have seen the Ricky Racer types, but hadn't heard the term. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-23, 10:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I have seen the Ricky Racer types, but hadn't heard the term.
What is a Ricky Racer?
Old 08-21-23, 11:59 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What is a Ricky Racer?
The OP used the term in post #1.
Old 08-21-23, 12:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
The OP used the term in post #1.
I understand that. I'm still not sure what a "Ricky Racer type" is.
Old 08-21-23, 12:05 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Perhaps someone who speeds recklessly into a parked car? See post #28 above.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-21-23, 12:33 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It was nice bringing the sun up today. The 5 MPH tailwind allowed me to cruise at about 19-21...

Old 08-21-23, 12:45 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Set aside the issue of potential liability for the moment. In my experience, whether driving, cycling, or walking, when one road user starts waving to another road user to move, the latter frequently focuses solely on the former and pays scant attention to additional road users at or approaching the intersection, regardless of traffic signal and signage.

As road users, we are always communicating with one another. I'll give you some examples.

Traffic is moving slowly on the approach to a traffic light. A car is on a side street getting ready to turn onto the street I am on. A little light flash lets them know that I am okay with them pulling out.

I am on the interstate I move out into the left lane getting ready to pass several vehicles. The rear most of those vehicles is a semi. The semi gives their turn signal, just as I move out. I flash them to let them know that I am okay with them entering the lane ahead of me.

I am stopped at a red light. The light turns green, and the driver in front of me sits there. I tap the horn.

In all of those cases, I communicated with another road user. Should we not do these things?

Take the first scenario. I don't flash my lights, but rather I slow and leave an opening. If the motorist enters the roadway and has a collision, did I buy any legal liability in that? The message I was conveying in both instances is that I was prepared for them to enter the roadway ahead of me.

Anyone can sue anybody for damn near any reason. I like my chances of not being sued as a consequence of communicating with other drivers, especially when I can make an informed read of the traffic situation before doing so.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-21-23, 12:46 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Not everyone is good with context.
Old 08-21-23, 12:49 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Don't run into cars or have cars run into you. Eyeballs and a brain....use them. Take responsibility for your own safety.
Old 08-21-23, 12:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by zandoval
It's funny that you post that. I have two riding playlists. One is high energy pump me up. The other is peaceful, soothing and meditative.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-21-23, 03:22 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
What is a Ricky Racer?
Start with an easy one, look up "Fred".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.