Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Specialized Diverge STR vs. Trek Checkpoint vs. others?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 01:03 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I am trying to thread the needle and find a fun/"fast" gravel bike, but also looking for comfort for long and more technical days/light MTB trails. Tough, I know!

I am narrowing in on the Diverge STR and Checkpoint. I want a dropper post, so it limits me to the SL models of the Checkpoint. I am pretty sure all the flex with Isospeed is in the seat tube and not the seat post itself, so i'd assume I don't loose any comfort benefits with a dropper?

I also really like the downtube storage in each. I've looked at a few other options, but none seem to hit the mark. Anyone in a similar situation/have thoughts on these two or others to put into the mix?
Old 10-02-23, 04:04 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Is that the Diverge with the weird rear shock thing? That'd arguably be more absorbing than the Isospeed of the Checkpoint. The Diverge STR is certainly billed as being more "racy" than most other gravel bikes.

Both would probably do you very well. Are you able to get into a shop and view or even test both?
Old 10-02-23, 04:09 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
i really hated the idea of the diverge STR, but i threw a leg over one at my local shop and have to admit it was a pretty fun, lively ride, encouraging me to do things like ride over curbs and steps and rocks in a way that i wouldn't with my more rigid bikes. it didn't feel all squishy the way a full squish bike always does to me.
Old 10-03-23, 07:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Anyone in a similar situation/have thoughts on these two or others to put into the mix?
List why you narrowed your search to these two bikes and it may help with offering up other options.

Is it price? geometry in general? specific geometry? major brands? etc?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-05-23, 12:21 AM
Nyimbo

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 520

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I am trying to thread the needle and find a fun/"fast" gravel bike, but also looking for comfort for long and more technical days/light MTB trails. Tough, I know!

I am narrowing in on the Diverge STR and Checkpoint. I want a dropper post, so it limits me to the SL models of the Checkpoint. I am pretty sure all the flex with Isospeed is in the seat tube and not the seat post itself, so i'd assume I don't loose any comfort benefits with a dropper?

I also really like the downtube storage in each. I've looked at a few other options, but none seem to hit the mark. Anyone in a similar situation/have thoughts on these two or others to put into the mix?
I read recently the ALR 5 driftless comes with a dropper post. You should confirm though.
Old 10-07-23, 09:34 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyimbo
I read recently the ALR 5 driftless comes with a dropper post. You should confirm though.
Even if it doesnt come with it, not sure why you couldnt put an aftermarket dropper post on a Chdckpoint ALR?

Ive got a Checkpoint ALR5, and really like it. takes standard seatposts.

In terms of comfort though, its still a non suspension aluminium bike, so I find it rides quite harsh. The SL, especially with isospeed decoupler, would ride a lot more comfortable I imagine.

But tire choice and pressure is a big part of comfort as well... Im putting some 47 or 50C tires on mine soon.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-24, 10:19 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i really hated the idea of the diverge STR, but i threw a leg over one at my local shop and have to admit it was a pretty fun, lively ride, encouraging me to do things like ride over curbs and steps and rocks in a way that i wouldn't with my more rigid bikes. it didn't feel all squishy the way a full squish bike always does to me.
Recently purchased a Diverge STR and had the exact same thoughts as you. Stupid, heavy, gimmick that served no purpose. That was before riding it.

Shop let us demo the bike for the day and honestly blew us away. Fast and comfortable, with very little weight penalty. It does exactly what it was deigned to do. Give you a comfortable fast ride.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 01-02-24, 07:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Does the Diverge STR rear suspension give noticeably more flex than a Canyon VCLS 2.0 seat post?