Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Curious: what is a gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Curious: what is a gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 08:21 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I both understand why this thread is stickied while also questioning why this thread exists and is stickied.
It's largely of no benefit at this point, but as soon as it comes down, someone will question what gravel exists as a category, and/or claim its all marketing hype, and/or claim any bike is a gravel bike.

This site consistently attracts the lowest common denominatior.
Is that how you got here?

Come on now, the Internet was not made you. It's for folks to share. If you don't like what's being discussed and can't add anything productive, just skip the thread.

I'll add that not all gravel is not created equal and that's why we don't have a consensus on what a gravel bike is.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 12-08-23, 08:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Is that how you got here?

Come on now, the Internet was not made you. It's for folks to share. If you don't like what's being discussed and can't add anything productive, just skip the thread.

I'll add that not all gravel is not created equal and that's why we don't have a consensus on what a gravel bike is.
Is what how I got here? I don't k[size=33px]now what you are asking when you ask if this is how I got here.
How I got here was I opened a browser and scrolled thru the handful of forums on this site that I visit. [/size]

Thanks for letting me know I have the power to skip a thread.***

As I said in my post, I am very aware of why the thread exists and is stickied. But it's also pretty absurd.

You say there are different types of gravel? Oh man, thanks.**&

This place was bumping 3-5 years ago. It's now a caricature of its former self, and this is one of many glaring examples that show it's decline.
Old 12-08-23, 08:43 PM
john m flores 

Is what how I got here? I don't k[size=33px]now what you are asking when you ask if this is how I got here.
How I got here was I opened a browser and scrolled thru the handful of forums on this site that I visit. [/size]

Thanks for letting me know I have the power to skip a thread.***

As I said in my post, I am very aware of why the thread exists and is stickied. But it's also pretty absurd.

You say there are different types of gravel? Oh man, thanks.**&

This place was bumping 3-5 years ago. It's now a caricature of its former self, and this is one of many glaring examples that show it's decline.
Slow Friday night for you, huh?
Old 12-08-23, 09:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Slow Friday night for you, huh?
...coming from someone posting at the same time.
Good one.***
Old 12-08-23, 10:32 PM
john m flores 

...coming from someone posting at the same time.
Good one.***
Yup. This morning I wrote captions for a motorcycle review that's going to press soon (in October I went to Spain for the press launch of BMW's new bike), then I went mountain biking, made some videos of the ride, then I cooked some salmon for dinner. I also looked at drone footage from my trip to the Philippines earlier this year as well as thought about the story I'm writing about a recent motorcycle trip to West Virginia.

I came here because I rode a gravel bike on singletrack and wanted to see what people were saying. All I saw was you complaining. Other than that, I had a decent day.

Have a nice night.
Old 12-08-23, 10:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Yup. This morning I wrote captions for a motorcycle review that's going to press soon (in October I went to Spain for the press launch of BMW's new bike), then I went mountain biking, made some videos of the ride, then I cooked some salmon for dinner. I also looked at drone footage from my trip to the Philippines earlier this year as well as thought about the story I'm writing about a recent motorcycle trip to West Virginia.

I came here because I rode a gravel bike on singletrack and wanted to see what people were saying. All I saw was you complaining. Other than that, I had a decent day.

Have a nice night.
Cool story.
Looks like we both had fun days and quiet nights. Of all you saw on the entire gravel forum was my post, you missed a lot of content that was right in front of you.
Old 12-08-23, 11:24 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
@alan_K, that's a pretty big jump between 28 mm and 2 in tire widths. My impression was that a gravel bike would be somewhere in the middle. So, two questions. First, can you describe the routes you'd ride with each? What's the surface like -- e.g., sand, dirt, pea gravel, etc.; flat or %grade, or any other relevant information? Second, is the bike you ride a binary choice, i.e., if it's too much for the 28s, it's time to pull out the 2" MTB?
My gravel bike maxes at 2" tires as long as they aren't too knobby, we run 21mm internal width rims and switch between 38c and 2" depending on purpose. Doing a local gravel race/ride we run the 38, though the last race I did with my daughter the 38 wasn't a good size for the final large descent at any real speed. Basically a seasonal highway/jeep trail with excessive washboard, washout, and deep potholes but really steep. Problem was the rest of the course had a lot of pavement making wider slow. 2" are for gravel tours, something where we're going to load it down and hit what every level of possible terrain. We're planning to ride the VTXLnext year which will require 2".

I came here because I rode a gravel bike on singletrack and wanted to see what people were saying.
Have a nice night.
Gravel bike on a 42c tire is a fun time. Here on the island we have several levels of singletrack, places bike bethpage and edgewood which are both state parks/preserves are fun on cross bikes, edgewood's white and yellow label trails rip on cross, blue trails have too many knobby stumps sticking up and aren't much fun on a mtb, but the red trails, which are the hardest in there are fun on a gravel bike. Both can be kind of boring on mtb so the gravel bike can add some enjoyment. Plenty of others will make it exciting, glacier ridge, glacier 8, cunningham, are all more technical, glacier ridge is undeserving of its black diamond/most difficult rating imho but is a blast to rip on a hardtail and challenging on a gravel bike. But places like hempstead harbor with its expert only trails mixed in is a hazard on gravel while a few of the remaining places, like cathedral pines, have so much roots in the trail that it isn't enjoyable bouncing over on a hardtail let alone a fully rigid gravel bike. I think singletrack really is heavily dependent.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-09-23, 02:05 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I both understand why this thread is stickied while also questioning why this thread exists and is stickied.
It's largely of no benefit at this point, but as soon as it comes down, someone will question what gravel exists as a category, and/or claim its all marketing hype, and/or claim any bike is a gravel bike.

This site consistently attracts the lowest common denominatior.
A gravel bike is a bike with a frame made of gravel. Problem solved. Close the thread.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 12-09-23, 04:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I don't know why this thread is stickied, but the most recent answer is because I forgot to unstick it. We have had a number of threads in this subforum asking the same question. That's because stickies are invisible.

On edit: unstuck now.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-09-23, 06:41 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
It’s the next “big thing” in cycling. Mountain bikes are no longer 85% of the bicycle market, the recent boom in road bikes is still going strong, but, like mountain bikes, their current popularity will necessarily wane. Gravel bikes offer a little bit of both genres, you could call it a road bike adapted to the trail, or a mountain bike adapted to the road. It’s not a bad idea, a bike which can do a little bit of everything.

I built one myself, as I wanted something for touring around Japan. The roads here vary from silky-smooth urban roadways to riverside paths to single track, to rugged, boulder-strewn paths. Neither my road bike nor my mountain bike offer much in the way of options for mounting racks, fenders, or other accessories, so I decided to build a “gravel bike” and see what it was like.

I bought an All City Space Horse frame, a Shimano GRX 12 speed driveline, some Mavic All Road wheels, and the other necessary bits and pieces. The only difficult part about setting up the bike is the 12 speed driveline, the GRX derailleur works with 12 speed micro spline cassettes, so I had to choose wheels with a micro spline option. The finished bike is much lighter than I expected, and is a blast to ride.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 01-12-24, 01:41 PM
JustinHS777

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Back in 2015, when I first got back into cycling, I put road bike drops and 35C Specialized Tracer and a knobby Maxxis on a 92 Miyata Triple Cross. I didn't even know about gravel biking at the time. I just knew I wanted drop bars and tires that were capable of going over more than just pavement. That was back when we were young and innocent. Now, the industry is going hog wild on this new genre. I still have that mindset now where it's gravel capable, but not a legit gravel bike.
Old 01-12-24, 02:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

This thread in gif form...

And

It's a thread about a subject/question that has been asked, answered, and debated well past the point of usefulness in every form of cycling media- furums, YouTube, podcast, blogs,and sites. It wasn't beneficial when it was stickied, was thankfully unstickied, and yet it still won't go away.
Old 02-25-24, 02:51 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
My 1990s no-suspension mountain bike is my "gravel bike." It's also a touring bike, city bike, or whatever else I'd like to call it.

I think "gravel bikes" are great at making more money for bike and accessory manufacturers.