Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking on derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Clicking on derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 07:33 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Clicking on derailleur

I finally got a Campagnolo hub and cassette to go with my otherwise Campy drivetrain, so it was out the door with the Jtek Shiftmate. This is all great, but I'm experiencing some clicking in the drivetrain.

I have a 1980s-vintage steel Bianchi with 126mm-wide chainstays into which I squeeze a modern-day 130mm-wide 9-speed Centaur hub. When I got the hub built into a wheel at the LBS I noticed that the nut that sticks up past the lockring on the axle (is there a term for this?) did not stick out as far as it did on my previous wheel, and when I mounted the wheel the chain rubbed against the seatstay in the biggest ring and cog. I went back to the LBS and they slid a spacer on, which solved the rubbing problem, but now it seems like I get a clicking noise when I ride.

Might one deduce that the spacer is too big? Thing is, the pulleys seem to be more or less in the middle of the chain when I look at it from the rear. Or is that an illusion?

Any ideas much appreciated!
Old 08-14-08, 07:35 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Make sure the clicking noise is coming from the RD area before you proceed further. If it is then you should attempt the procedure below

https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
Old 08-14-08, 07:40 PM
tellyho
Your mom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you need to adjust the limits for the rear derailleur. By adding a spacer, you just moved your cassette inboard. Now you need ot adjust your derailleur to match it's new location.
Old 08-15-08, 05:59 AM
rousseau

You know, for some reason I was thinking that the derailleur has a set sweep across the cassette, and it didn't occur to me that it would "start out" from the largest cog wherever you happen to set the limit screws. D'oh!
Old 08-17-08, 11:29 AM
rousseau

I've adjusted the limit screws, but I'm still getting a slight clickety sound when I'm in the middle cog. Which sucks. I can't push the limit screw for the most outside cog any farther in--should I consider getting a slightly longer screw?