Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Colnago Mexico Goldbike 1979

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 11:43 PM
Peter E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Colnago Mexico Goldbike 1979

Hi!

I need som help.

I have a Colnago Mexico Goldbike 1979. It have been in my family since 1979.

Everything is original and untouched. Tires are dry.

It was at the World Exhibition in Milan in 1979 and Eddy Merckx drove it a few times during the exhibition. On rolls. As far as I know, not many copies were made and the Pope is supposed to have received one as a gift the same year 1979?We bought the bike from Tord Lönnqvist, European Bicycle Import (ECI). The bike has been hanging in our basement all these years.

Together with the bike we also got a signed painting by Eddy Merckx 75x55 cm.

I'm interested in selling the bike.

what value can it have?

Where is the best place to sell it?

Last edited by Peter E; 04-21-24 at 12:08 AM.
Likes For Peter E:
Old 04-20-24, 06:04 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 3,792 Posts
You're going to need to post up some clear, detailed pictures.

Old 04-20-24, 11:15 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 423 Posts
OP gallery,
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/33401967
Sample,

"It belongs in a museum.."

Last edited by daverup; 04-20-24 at 11:38 AM.
Likes For daverup:
Old 04-20-24, 03:58 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 640 Posts
Colored plating finish was a fad for brief while in the early 80's . While great looking it doesn't really add a lot to the bike now. Back in the day I was guy who paid an extra $200 for chrome on a BMX bike!? As for fast sell value I would guess $1200 or so. End off the day bike or car semi different paint finish doe's not make it better bike or car..

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-20-24 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-20-24, 05:01 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,497 Posts
Cool bike. Personally I would have done a gold frame and red and green components (some silver too). This isn't a rider which narrows the market to collectors who may or may not (more likely) be inclined to offer a premium because the cold tone bits.

To me the fact that while it's "all original" the dry rotted tires, brake hoods and O rings on the calipers detrack from the value. This would also mean I need to spend a day overhauling it, so that's another detractor in value for me.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 04-20-24, 05:21 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 847 Posts
That seems to be a true collector's item, not a bike for taking out for a weekend spin.

Of course, someone with enough spending money could purchase it and make it a daily/weekly rider. After swapping the existing components for a 25th anniversary Dura Ace group, of course.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-21-24, 12:40 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 540 Posts
I never really figured out where to place the values of bikes with gold toned chrome finish and gold colored anodized components.
I'm sure that all of them sold for a premium when they came out, mostly for their uniqueness, but I suspect 99 percent of such bikes ended up as wall hangers in homes and dealerships. So the market for such are mostly for people that will rarely ride the bikes, in fear that the gold finishes might not hold up to the riding environment (Does the gold color on the component anodizing fade from UV exposure like other anodized colors do??)..
There were component makers that did produce gold anodized products in big enough numbers, such as Simplex. But it is telling that it seems like they were not really that popular an option for people to buy, otherwise, we'd see a whole lot more C&V bikes with the Simplex gold stuff than we do.

Last edited by Chombi1; 04-24-24 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-21-24, 02:53 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Have a professional take pictures.
Make sure you can back up any claim with documentation.
Ask Mr. Mercxk if he remembers riding this bike and if so, could he write you a letter to that effect.
Then put it on Ebay.

Nobody here has any idea what this might be worth.
Old 04-21-24, 11:45 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 175 Posts
SWAG if you can establish provenance an auction house is the way to go. It will open up the market beyond bicycle nerds.

In collector cars, completely original unrestored copies of desirable models often have higher value than restored. You could have something like that here.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 04-21-24, 02:23 PM
Peter E

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for answer!
Does Mr. Mercxk have an official mailadress?

Best regards Peter
Old 04-21-24, 02:28 PM
Peter E

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for answer.
Do you have any suggestions for auction houses?
Ebay?

Best regards Peter.
Old 04-21-24, 07:39 PM
lowgear45

Bikes: Picchio, Masi, Herse, McLean(6), Sparrow, Frejus(2), Legnano(3), Merz(2), Raleigh Pro, RSachs, Moulton, Calzone, Urago, Paisley, Ritchey, B.Jackson, Piave, Bottecchia, Paramount(2), Hurlow(4), ICS, Colnago(3), Weigle, Gilmour, Pinarello, etc.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter E
Thanks for answer.
Do you have any suggestions for auction houses?
Ebay?

Best regards Peter.
Peter:
That is an ostentatious, gaudy, seriously fancy collectors item. It may very well sell for $4K+ if properly offered. Posters Mackers and Chombi are correct IMO. Do not change or modify anything short of carefully wiping down with Pledge or a silicon treatment (I like Aerospace 303 protectant.) You will need a detailed and accurate description of components and geometry that a good old school bike shop can help you with. If you cannot find a knowledgeable cycling auction, go eBay and start high. You need to consider an international buyer, as there may be more buyers for that level internationally, so prepare for that...
Likes For lowgear45:
Old 04-21-24, 10:08 PM
Peter E

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks a lot lowgear!

Best regards Peter.
Old 04-23-24, 08:29 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 2,301 Times in 1,286 Posts
I agree . I think this bike has serious potential as a collector item. It will need to be presented and marketed appropriately to yield the best results.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-24-24, 04:33 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked 3,171 Times in 1,998 Posts
This is one of the few times I think $5000 is not out of the realm of possibility.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-24-24, 10:29 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 288 Posts
Maybe even reach out to these guys: https://steel-vintage.com/
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 04-24-24, 12:31 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 399 Posts
I say dangle it in front of Robvolz and see if you get a bite
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-24-24, 06:15 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Maybe even reach out to these guys: https://steel-vintage.com/
premium-cycling.com (no affiliation) may also be worth contacting, although they are endorsed by Johan Bruyneel…

They seem to turn over a steady stream of collectible and retired pros’ bicycles at premium prices, eg:

https://premium-cycling.com/product/...-58cm-1984-85/

They recently had an apparently Eddy Merckx-raced De Rosa-built FIAT team bicycle from c. 1976 listed at EUR36000- which now shows as sold…
Old 04-24-24, 11:56 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1,850 Times in 679 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
I say dangle it in front of Robvolz and see if you get a bite
OK, this comment was not just made in jest, I have stumbled upon some serious collector Colnagos, mostly by accident and have never paid what they were actually worth. Lucky I guess.

For starters, this bike is seriously cool.

Cool AF!!

But, I have some stray comments and observations. It's important that you do not see them as criticisms, just observations.

1, The Eddy Merckx connection is puzzling. Eddy rode Colnagos whilst on team Molteni, as well was Kessels and DeRosa. But, according to my research, not too much long after the Hour Record where Eddy placed a Windsor sticker on the head badge over the Colnago logo, there was a bit of a falling out. By 1973, Eddy rode only DeRosa and some Kessels all the way through his team Fiat days until DeRosa helped him set up Eddy Merckx Cycles or EMC.

In 1979, I have heard of no stories were Eddy was a spokesperson for Colnago. This is a first for me.

I also see his poster and while I have not attended a single day of graphology school, Looking at a signed jersey, a signed EMC brochure and an 8x10 glossy….that looks like his signature. Happy to hear they made up. Both were influential in each other's success.

2, I have a couple sets of Colnago headsets. They are steel and my research states they were made by Ofmega, as were many Colnago panto'd cranksets, chainrings and hubs (most of the 35th anniversary bits).

I have never seen an aluminum Colnago branded headset, let alone one anodized gold. This is a first for me and really f'ing cool to see.

3, Speaking of Panto'd things….Ernesto started using his own branded drop outs starting in 1978. Maybe earlier, but I have not seen an example. I too own a 1979 frame of some note. The drop outs don't say Campagnolo but Colnago. Of Course they used up whatever was sitting around before diving into the new parts. [HA!! Ha ha ha ha!!!…I hadn't noticed before!! On my 1979, the NDS says Colnago. The DS says Campy!! How is that for quality control. Does that mean the frame was made on a Monday (hung over) or on a Friday (hitting the sauce a lil early??)…dunno].

4, speaking of a mishmash of parts…please recall that the consumer safety product commission (CSPC) in 1978 ruled that changes must be made to stop bicycle manufactures from making bits that would kill us. Again, I'm sure Ernie wanted to use up old stock before moving to new stock.

Here is what I see on your bike:

A) The front derailleur has the safety lip (post 1978) because in the wisdom of the CSPC, the flat blades on the FD might easily enter fleshy leg parts, COMPLETELY IGNORING THE SHARP TEETH OF A CHAIN RING A CENTIMETER AWAY.
B) The quick release levers are the flat style (pre-CSPC) instead of the safer curved style.
C) The Super Record Rear Derailleur (so cool) is also pre-CSPC because it doesn't have the lil' plastic trumpet on the adjusting or "stop" screws.
D) Both front and rear Campy brakes are also of the "flat," not "spooned" style quick release lever indicating 1978 or earlier.
E) The brake levers are of the 1972 panto style with the lil diamonds - and not the more modern style (intro'd in 1976 for the Montreal Olympics) that mimics the typeface of the panto'd chainring.
E) The crankset is "Mexico'd" where the crank spider has "voids" where there is normally fluting or concavity. This style was original to Merckx' hour record attempt for weight savings and repeated on the Colnago Mexico frames with their thinner SL tubes. Again, I have not seen that on a stock Colnago other than the Mexico/N. Mexico and never past 1978.*

Your bike is a wonderful find. It is stunning. I have heard of gold plating. I've heard of smoke chrome. I've never heard of "gold chrome" I'd be interested in learning more.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE post more pics.

I'm curious to see:
- the bottom bracket. Bikology insisted on serial numbers which often didn't happen anyway. The numbers stamped on the rear drop-outs are really only to make sure the frame was properly matched to the fork (drop the fork, the number should match).
- the top or front of the stem. This was "post-beef" with Cinelli and should be 3ttt. Same with the handlebars.
- Front of the seat post. Does it have the matching panto as the brake levers?
- the backs of the crank arms, specifically the date stamp, a number inside a diamond, a circle or a square. The post CSPC FD (curved lip) added 1.5mm outbound and the cranks should be post 78 to match.
- a top photo of the RD, specially the patent date.
- what are the wheels? Ambrosia I would assume, with Clement tires?
- What is the size? Eddy rode a 58-63ctc and preferred 175 crank arms.

You probably would not hear from Mr. Eddy Merckx anytime soon. He had a bowel blockage that lead to emergency surgery last week. He is now home recuperating, but still. . . . .

On the other hand, I'd send off a letter to Alex Colgano who is usually pretty quick to answer back, if you have questions about an interesting bike. Heck, they may even want it for their museum.

*Please note that I am a mere enthusiast and not a certified expert. These opinions are based on my research and observations, but also know that I am wrong on an hourly basis and actually love to be proved wrong because that's how we learn.

Robert.

Last edited by Robvolz; 04-25-24 at 12:28 AM.
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 04-25-24, 08:51 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 105 Posts
The headset is made by FT Bologna, and is very lightweight. Also very easy to mess up, so be careful when assembling. Be extra careful when threading onto the steering tube. Very easy to cross thread.

That’s a beautiful bike. More of a wall hanger, due to the fragile nature of the plating.

Bonus points that it’s all original and unmolested.

You could try listing it on the CR list.
Likes For satbuilder:
Old 04-26-24, 09:53 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 188 Posts
Another auction house suggestion would be the annual Copake Auction (https://www.copakeauction.com/bicycles-splash/bicycles) or even Chrystie's. I personally think the bike could be dismantled and cleaned without affecting the value, but the work needs to be done by someone both familiar with bikes & components of the era and who understands the value of the bike. I.e. the work should be done very, very carefully and meticulously. The rubber brake adjuster grommets can be replaced without affecting the value. I'd probably leave the hoods and tires alone, because while dried out and cracked, they attest to the unused nature of the bike.
Old 04-26-24, 05:19 PM
Peter E

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Robvolz!
Thank you so much for a great answer.
I can post more pictures.

How can i get in touch with Alex Colnago.

Best regards Peter
Old 04-26-24, 05:22 PM
Peter E

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks a lot Catnap.

Have to make a decision where to sell the bike.
Old 04-26-24, 05:25 PM
Peter E

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seagrade
premium-cycling.com (no affiliation) may also be worth contacting, although they are endorsed by Johan Bruyneel…

They seem to turn over a steady stream of collectible and retired pros’ bicycles at premium prices, eg:

https://premium-cycling.com/product/...-58cm-1984-85/

They recently had an apparently Eddy Merckx-raced De Rosa-built FIAT team bicycle from c. 1976 listed at EUR36000- which now shows as sold…
Seagrade!
Thank you so much for the valuable information.

Best regards Peter
Old 04-26-24, 06:37 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 640 Posts
The one big thing is Colonago lugged limited edition collecter's finish semi custume/art bikes aren't as rare as sellers think they have made editions models from the late 70's to the early 2000's. So in the world wide market you have to compete with a bunch of Colognago stuff that is cooler.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-26-24 at 06:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.