Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Build: 1978 Raleigh Pro Mk V

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-21, 08:56 AM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 172 Posts

Starting another build, this time a '78 Professional Mk V. It's interesting to note the differences between this one and my '74 Mk IV. As others here have noted, the color is a little different, the stays are different, and there is much more limited chrome... My goal is to go back to mostly stock, but with period upgrades as might have been done back in the day. For example, will put on a Cinelli 1/A stem and model 66 bars, my favorites. Also thinking about using a set of Mavic SSC bleu rims mated to Campy low flange. One great bonus about this bike was he threw in a set of wheels that have second generation Phil Wood hubs, very cool. I will be divesting most of the non original parts that came with the frame.

Down to the bare frame after cleaning. Lots of patina, but I like it, no plans to repaint. The prior owner was a racer, bought it second hand in 1980 and used it up through the 2000s. Last had it set up for cyclocross. Most of the parts on it will be divested or used for other projects

One thing that will stay is the Super Record seat post, not stock but cool...

I've been following the discussion around the seat post binder bolt. This has a bolt in there, not stock. Following Jim Merz's recommendation, I ordered a bolt that is more appropriate, from British Fasteners site...

Confirmed it's from the 6th fortnight (F) in 1978 (8), so around March or April '78

Here is a mystery splotch of paint on the steerer tube.... Looks a lot like the lilac you might see on certain Competitions...?
Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 11-25-21, 12:29 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I picked up a frame and fork recently with the Campy BB and headset. Mine has lots of patina but I plan to ride it for a year before deciding if I want a paint job on it. I just had my Colnago done and I am finishing putting it back together before I continue Frankensteining the Raleigh. I have a start but still bouncing around ideas. I don’t know where you are on your build since this post but I thought I would chime in and show mine. Joe

I will probably put the five pin NR crank on even though I like the three pin GS crank. The wheels will be different , this bike needs 700’s. I have a complete Campy NR drive set and brakes as well as a Brooks Pro saddle from the seventies so I am trying to stay true to the original build.
Old 04-21-22, 02:49 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Finally finished!

Finally finished this project after several diversions.... will go for a ride later today!

1978 Raleigh Professional MK V

PAT 78 RD

Four hole NR FD, only in 1978

77 dated crankset

Cool Sturmey Archer clips I found, along with the Avocet version of Binda Extras (laminated)

Toe clips made in England
Old 04-21-22, 06:24 PM
75lechamp 

First ride!

good ride in good weather today here in Colorado....

Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 04-21-22, 08:18 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by 75lechamp

Here is a mystery splotch of paint on the steerer tube.... Looks a lot like the lilac you might see on certain Competitions...?
Carlton badged bicycles were also built at the same facility even this late. Some of their models used this fork, and I believe some models used this color in 1978. I don't have access to VCC and their catalogs, but that might confirm this.
Old 04-21-22, 08:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Starting another build, this time a '78 Professional Mk V. It's interesting to note the differences between this one and my '74 Mk IV. As others here have noted, the color is a little different, the stays are different, and there is much more limited chrome... My goal is to go back to mostly stock, but with period upgrades as might have been done back in the day. For example, will put on a Cinelli 1/A stem and model 66 bars, my favorites. Also thinking about using a set of Mavic SSC bleu rims mated to Campy low flange. One great bonus about this bike was he threw in a set of wheels that have second generation Phil Wood hubs, very cool. I will be divesting most of the non original parts that came with the frame.

Down to the bare frame after cleaning. Lots of patina, but I like it, no plans to repaint. The prior owner was a racer, bought it second hand in 1980 and used it up through the 2000s. Last had it set up for cyclocross. Most of the parts on it will be divested or used for other projects

One thing that will stay is the Super Record seat post, not stock but cool...

I've been following the discussion around the seat post binder bolt. This has a bolt in there, not stock. Following Jim Merz's recommendation, I ordered a bolt that is more appropriate, from British Fasteners site...

Confirmed it's from the 6th fortnight (F) in 1978 (8), so around March or April '78

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Carlton badged bicycles were also built at the same facility even this late. Some of their models used this fork, and I believe some models used this color in 1978. I don't have access to VCC and their catalogs, but that might confirm this.
And of course it could have been typical Raleigh procedure "go to the bins and find a fork we can use to get this one out the door, repaint one if you have to".

SR SP for the win, lucky it was there and in good nick.

Gotta love it when Jim steps in and solves a problem for you.

Good job, nice work.
Old 04-21-22, 08:43 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
I was seduced by the mid-70's Raleigh catalogs, so I've got a lust for blue mink & silver paint!
I'm pretty well set for a nice Raleighs already, so no need to get a Pro, but I do wonder how the Mk IV compares to the Mk V. Any comments or conclusions??

Steve in Peoria
Old 04-21-22, 10:08 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
And of course it could have been typical Raleigh procedure "go to the bins and find a fork we can use to get this one out the door, repaint one if you have to".
... snip
That's kinda where I was going with that.
Old 04-21-22, 10:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
That's kinda where I was going with that.
Yep, I figured.
Old 04-22-22, 04:17 AM
Kabuki12

Great job. Mine is still in the works. I have just about everything I need . I put a set of 700 x 28 tires on it but they barely clear the chain stays. What size are you running.
Old 04-22-22, 04:41 PM
75lechamp 

Kabuki12 I am looking forward to seeing yours built up, it's so similar to mine. I generally only run 700x22 or 23, so not an issue with me, but I can see it might be difficult to do 28s....
Old 04-22-22, 04:44 PM
75lechamp 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I was seduced by the mid-70's Raleigh catalogs, so I've got a lust for blue mink & silver paint!
I'm pretty well set for a nice Raleighs already, so no need to get a Pro, but I do wonder how the Mk IV compares to the Mk V. Any comments or conclusions??

Steve in Peoria
Steve, I have heard that folks prefer the MkV in terms of ride quality. It is a very nice ride, but I would say it's about equal to my MkIV. However, I greatly prefer the aesthetics of the IV, especially the chromed fork crown and the fastback stay treatment. They are very close in every other way though....
Old 04-22-22, 06:07 PM
steelbikeguy

Steve, I have heard that folks prefer the MkV in terms of ride quality. It is a very nice ride, but I would say it's about equal to my MkIV. However, I greatly prefer the aesthetics of the IV, especially the chromed fork crown and the fastback stay treatment. They are very close in every other way though....
Good to know.

The Mk IV is the standard, at least in my mind. The fastback seat stay attachment is somewhat iconic for someone like me who grew up with it.

The Mk V has the odd oversize seat stay caps, which my Raleigh Team bike has too. I've grown accustomed to them now, but originally had thoughts that perhaps I should file them flush. Good thing I ignored that urge!

Chrome used to be so common that getting rid of it was a sign of modernity. Now, it's a rarity and a somewhat of an extravagance. Shiny bikes in general are becoming rare now, and being able to flash some chrome gets people's attention! That's one reason I enjoy my Raleigh International......

The Raleigh Team is a good looking bike too, and to be honest, I like the ride better than the International. Of course, I'm relatively lightweight, and I suspect the thinner tubes are a better match for my weight.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-22-22, 07:50 PM
75lechamp 

That is a cool Team - is that the Hi-E hub in front? Super nice.

I really am very fond of the International. I think seeing a pic of yours convinced me I should put white bar tape on mine...!

Old 04-23-22, 06:54 AM
steelbikeguy

That is a cool Team - is that the Hi-E hub in front? Super nice.

I really am very fond of the International. I think seeing a pic of yours convinced me I should put white bar tape on mine...!
The Hi-E hub is something I bought in the 70's when I thought that light parts would make a noticeable difference in my speed.
The "quick release" is definitely a weight saver compared to the standard Campy Record steel skewer, but the clamping force is much less than a standard one.
This seemed like a good use for it, so I built it into a wheel with 14-17 ga spokes and alloy nipples.

The white tape on my bike is original, but I have wondered what I'd replace it with someday. Not sure if I'm brave enough to go with white cloth tape and the quick transition to gray. Is there a synthetic non-padded tape available in white? The white tape is the ideal match for the white brake hoods and white text on the frame!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-23-22, 10:05 AM
Kabuki12

I use white cloth tape and it can be washed with soap and water and then allowed to dry. It doesn’t come out super white but looks clean and a cream white afterwards. I would’ve never put it on my self but my bike came with it and I actually like it and much easier to clean than I thought.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-23-22, 09:58 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I use white cloth tape and it can be washed with soap and water and then allowed to dry. It doesn’t come out super white but looks clean and a cream white afterwards. I would’ve never put it on my self but my bike came with it and I actually like it and much easier to clean than I thought.
48 years ago we just re-taped the bars for every race.
in the magazines it almost always showed Eddy with fresh white tape.

I like these two Pros. Different directions but good.
my only notion would be an Oro outer plate chain, just like the catalogs
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-25-22, 08:42 AM
Kabuki12

Kabuki12 I am looking forward to seeing yours built up, it's so similar to mine. I generally only run 700x22 or 23, so not an issue with me, but I can see it might be difficult to do 28s....
Yea, I finally decided on the wheels. They will be Mavic anodized clinchers from the late seventies laced to Campagnolo Record Low Flange hubs with the correct curved skewers. I really like the HF Campy hubs with the early skewers but as I move along I am leaning more toward an original build. I will probably run 25c width tires as I am not comfortable running tires so close to the stays. I made my own seat post binder bolt from an 8mm stainless steel cap screw(Lowes!) that I shortened in overall length and reduced the head length to duplicate the original by grinding, on one of my universal grinding machines, the back side of the head so as to maintain full depth of the broached hex. I then polished it to a near chrome look . It actually looks similar to yours. I am glad to hear the ride went well I am looking forward to riding mine when it is finally done. I usually take a while to build something as I have other bikes , like you , and riding is way more important to me. Right now just preparing my Eroica bike and getting ready to head north in a few days.
Likes For Kabuki12: