Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Racks for cars/SUVs: What does the CV crowd use?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Racks for cars/SUVs: What does the CV crowd use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 06:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
our corolla uses a trunk style rack. my suv uses 2 diff hanging style hitch racks depending on how many bikes I'm carrying
Old 04-25-22, 06:44 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I've used various racks over the years; started with a Thule roof rack with bike trays and with fork mounts. Then I became a rep and used our products at various times; Graber roof rack with fork mounts, Saris roof rack with fork mounts, Hollywood pickup truck bed rack, Saris Bones and Hollywood receiver rack with fork mounts. I also used a fork mount "bike board" in my old minivan to carry bikes inside and one of those fork mounts has been adapted for use inside my Vanagon Westy.
Old 04-25-22, 09:05 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,968 Posts
I had a Jeep Liberty and had to get one of the spare tire fitting ones since the tire overhung the hitch too much to use the hitch rack.

I guess I could buy a hitch kit...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 04-25-22, 09:09 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
My old setup: Thule rack utilizing footers directly bolted to BMW "fixpoints" - factory-installed threaded collars welded to the roof:

Loaded up:

I miss this car; it was totaled after a distracted driver forced me onto the central reservation, destroying the suspension. Today, I take the wheels off, lower the rear pass-through seat of the Audi A4, and put the bike in the trunk. Better gas mileage is a major benefit, but the cool factor is no more.

DD
Those double-spoke M wheels were the best.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 04-25-22, 09:13 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
our corolla uses a trunk style rack. my suv uses 2 diff hanging style hitch racks depending on how many bikes I'm carrying
Have you (or anyone else) with a truck or SUV used a 4-bike hanging rack? I'm looking at the Yakima RidgeBack 4 as it's still built well, but seems to be lots less money than a 4-bike platform rack from anyone I can find, and lighter.

Opinions? I don't want to use the roof for bikes, and am just wondering if something like this works in real life for hanging a family of 4's rides.
Old 04-25-22, 09:29 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
I used an Allen from Wal-Mart for years, wrapped it up with all my excess bar tape.
As I worked on more and more bikes, I saw what these did to the top tubes, went to a Saris Bones and liked that.
Then I got a basic Saris hitch rack and liked that a lot more, but it was always there, subject to weather, etc.

My gal has the Yakima roof system, and a crushed head tube to show for it, so we don't do roof racks any more.
She has also decided all bikes ride inside, so there's that. Most small SUV's can hold two bikes, with wheels, on their sides.
I use cardboard for dunnage between the two bike, and the only drawback so far has been calipers pivoting a bit.

I have at least 3 friends right now, all waiting on replacement frames from Trek (for months now) due to carbon TT's cracking.
All used "hanging racks" on the rear of their cars. It might just be rough roads, for all I know, but they don't have their bikes.

A British friend swears by his 1Up, which seems crazy simple, and a couple of other love their Kuat's, Yakima's, and Thules.
The Kuat 4-bike rack asks for 350-lb tongue weight rating on the car, which rules out one of the Subarus, and a few other cars.
While I'm not sure why this is a requirement, a couple of friends worried enough about the liability for it to affect their car-buying decision.

Given the issues I've seen with TT damage, I'm sticking with a wheel-carry rack, and I like the swing-away for access to my truck.
It is all mostly redundant, because with a raised shell, I can roll the bike in and clip it up to the side of the bed, no rack required.
I'm working on a "roll-in" setup where I can roll it in from the ground, never have to climb in the truck bed (getting old).

I never thought I'd get a rack that costs more than a bike, but it's all relative.
I used to go to triathlons where the racks cost more than my bike.
When considered as protective equipment of a sorts, and with the price of bikes these days, I completely understand.

I met a couple this weekend, each with $7,100 matching gravel Cervelos. Yep, I'd shop for the right rack.
Old 04-25-22, 09:35 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Have you (or anyone else) with a truck or SUV used a 4-bike hanging rack? I'm looking at the Yakima RidgeBack 4 as it's still built well, but seems to be lots less money than a 4-bike platform rack from anyone I can find, and lighter.

Opinions? I don't want to use the roof for bikes, and am just wondering if something like this works in real life for hanging a family of 4's rides.
A friend used a Thule 4-bike hanging hitch rack on the back of his Acura MDX. Nice rack, tilted down, seemed to hold them well without swinging.
His TT cracked 4 months ago and he was just told by Trek it will be September for a new one (Project One Domane).
The rack seemed well padded, and secure, so he's not sure about the cause of the TT crack, but we have 2 other friends-same issue.
All used hitch-mounted hanging racks. it may be coincidence, as all are carbon Treks, too. If you hang, maybe some padding would be a good idea.

PS. My Subaru Impreza came with roof side rails, and the Yakima display at the dealership wanted $300+ labor for cross rails to hold bike racks. I bought "WhisBar" cross rails on eBay for $81 new, delivered, and they are literally the same Yakima crossbars. Same part numbers, keys even say Yakima. 15 minutes to install with supplied tools, and no aero noise. I'm not a roof rack guy, but the Impreza is so low, it was doable. Plus, they clear the sunroof.

(It was a company car, and they allowed hitches for non-towing use, but not roof racks. (until mine came with one). I ended up using both, as my hitch rack was a double and my roof rack was a double, so we hauled 4, back when my lady was OK with "outside" transeport. I just stayed away from any garages.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 04-25-22 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 04-25-22, 09:43 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Just gotta put this in...

McAllan Tx, my brother said a few moths ago an SUV with two bicycles on a Trailer Hitch Bike Rack got Five Finger Expressed at a stop light. Total cost of the bikes around 1400.00 USD. But they took the trailer hitch so it was over 1500.00 USD. Now its a felony and mandatory time in a State Jail. But they were not US Citizens so... Who knows...

Anyway my brother could not get details but the victim is out two bikes and an expensive trailer hitch carrier. I guess the victim should be glad they didn't take his SUV as well.

Securing your carrier and its bikes becomes a real issue.

Note: McAllan is a nice town as far as Boarder Town Texas goes. Allot of money, industry, trade, and transport. It has exponential growth and a stable increasing GDP. Although mostly Blue when it comes to voting most old school Mexican Americans are steadily turning Dark Red.
Old 04-25-22, 10:11 AM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
A friend used a Thule 4-bike hanging hitch rack on the back of his Acura MDX. Nice rack, tilted down, seemed to hold them well without swinging.
His TT cracked 4 months ago and he was just told by Trek it will be September for a new one (Project One Domane).
The rack seemed well padded, and secure, so he's not sure about the cause of the TT crack, but we have 2 other friends-same issue.
All used hitch-mounted hanging racks. it may be coincidence, as all are carbon Treks, too. If you hang, maybe some padding would be a good idea.

PS. My Subaru Impreza came with roof side rails, and the Yakima display at the dealership wanted $300+ labor for cross rails to hold bike racks. I bought "WhisBar" cross rails on eBay for $81 new, delivered, and they are literally the same Yakima crossbars. Same part numbers, keys even say Yakima. 15 minutes to install with supplied tools, and no aero noise. I'm not a roof rack guy, but the Impreza is so low, it was doable. Plus, they clear the sunroof. I just stay away from any garages.
Thanks, good to know. Everything we would travel with is aluminum or steel. But there's a range of toptube shapes and I keep thinking I'd prefer a platform. I just admit I don't want to pay twice as much!

Re: the roof, we have rails on it, but I was thinking of doing cargo box up there.
Old 04-25-22, 10:30 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Re: the roof, we have rails on it, but I was thinking of doing cargo box up there.
Get a deflector if you can, the wind noise can drive you nuts. Unless you have kids, and you're used to it.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 04-25-22, 10:32 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by zandoval
Just gotta put this in...

McAllan Tx, my brother said a few moths ago an SUV with two bicycles on a Trailer Hitch Bike Rack got Five Finger Expressed at a stop light. Total cost of the bikes around 1400.00 USD. But they took the trailer hitch so it was over 1500.00 USD. Now its a felony and mandatory time in a State Jail. But they were not US Citizens so... Who knows...

Anyway my brother could not get details but the victim is out two bikes and an expensive trailer hitch carrier. I guess the victim should be glad they didn't take his SUV as well.

Securing your carrier and its bikes becomes a real issue.

Note: McAllan is a nice town as far as Boarder Town Texas goes. Allot of money, industry, trade, and transport. It has exponential growth and a stable increasing GDP. Although mostly Blue when it comes to voting most old school Mexican Americans are steadily turning Dark Red.
I use a hitch lock, to prevent the hitch being stolen, but this is a good reminder to secure the bikes as well. Holy cow. At least it's still a crime on paper....
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 04-25-22, 11:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
My issue is that the Escape has no tow hitch. So either it is roof, or hatch mount for me.

So far the Allen has worked, but was wondering about experiences with roof racks on SUVs or hatch mounts.
Just add a hitch. I have had them added to a couple vehicles- a Chrysler Pacifica and a Subaru Outback(actually 2 Outbacks). They were $150 and installation took less than an hour so I had them installed during my lunch break while at work. You dont need the electrical so its cheaper and faster.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-22, 11:42 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 406 Posts
Not sure how many C&V/BF'ers have this problem, but few options for my Porsche Boxster. A hitch would be nice but the few out there require cutting the car . The other choice is a rack from a company called Bird Automotive where the rack slides into two tubes mounted permanently under the rear of the car (bolt-on, no cutting/welding). Alas, $500 new the last time I checked but a fellow owner offered me his for $100 if I wanted to come get it... 475 miles away round trip. Yeah, it was worth it. As installing the rack onto the tubes just about requires laying on the ground to insert, I tend to leave it on for long periods during the cycling season. My wife's Honda S2000 has a hitch, so a regular hitch-mount rack fits easily.

Old 04-25-22, 12:31 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I have an older, but very similar, Yakima 4-bike hanging rack that goes into the receiver hitch of my truck. We are a family of four who all ride 1990s rigid steel mountain bikes. Well, my wife's is a 700c hybrid, but still...

I've found that I can't really get four bikes on the 4-bike rack because there's always a handlebar, saddle, cranks, or something else interfering with a "tight fit". I put two on the rack and one or two in the bed with their front wheels removed, since my little truck bed is only five feet long.

If we had disc brake bikes, I'd try a tailgate pad or a thick old blanket, but I'm thinking cantilever brake arms would rub and scrape on the pad and probably the tailgate underneath the pad too. That's just an assumption; I've never tried one.

Seriously, if I lived in a state that didn't require front license plates (mine does), and if I needed a new bike rack, I'd get one of those platform racks that fold up to hide the rear license plates from view. The extra cost of those racks might be offset by free rides in toll lanes and on toll roads that use cameras instead of toll booth attendants. A vehicle so equipped would also be anonymous to dashcams and red-light cameras if not required to have a front plate.

This might be the only picture I have of it from a couple years ago, posted only for C&V mountain bike content. The kids have since outgrown the two on the ground and have moved up to larger frames but we're still riding like it's 1999 with rim brakes and triple chainrings all around!

Likes For Squeeze:
Old 04-25-22, 03:56 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
I've got the Thule hitch-mount two-arm bike hanging rack, one of the few choices for 5 bikes. Getting all five on there with bars and pedals interleaved is a chore. It's a contact sport.

Once they're on, I stuff pool noodles into the gaps and Bungie them together.

NOT a way to transport precious cargo. But our family bikes are tools, not art.
Likes For tgot:
Old 04-25-22, 04:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Have you (or anyone else) with a truck or SUV used a 4-bike hanging rack? I'm looking at the Yakima RidgeBack 4 as it's still built well, but seems to be lots less money than a 4-bike platform rack from anyone I can find, and lighter.Opinions? I don't want to use the roof for bikes, and am just wondering if something like this works in real life for hanging a family of 4's rides.
yes, I use a hitch mounted Swagman Titan w/ stability straps. it works for me but I'm reluctant to recommend it

Old 04-25-22, 04:05 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by tgot
I've got the Thule hitch-mount two-arm bike hanging rack, one of the few choices for 5 bikes. Getting all five on there with bars and pedals interleaved is a chore. It's a contact sport.Once they're on, I stuff pool noodles into the gaps and Bungie them together.NOT a way to transport precious cargo. But our family bikes are tools, not art.
yup it's a labor of love
Old 04-25-22, 04:15 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Not sure how many C&V/BF'ers have this problem, but few options for my Porsche Boxster.
Hard top? https://www.seasucker.com.au/for-cyclists/bike-racks/
Old 04-25-22, 06:01 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,289 Times in 1,279 Posts
We use a Thule T2 pro XTR on my wife’s Tacoma and it works great. It holds my wife’s Townie step through pedal assist and my classic. It tilts down for tail gate access without taking the bikes off. If I have more than two bikes, I can use the Rhode Gear fork mount flat rack for the bed ,but I have to remove the front wheels on that one.
Old 04-25-22, 06:31 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,542 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Neighbor uses these for ski racks on his Audi RS5, works well, he is looking into the bike option. Audi sells a branded suction bike rack not sure it it is seasucker or other

Old 04-25-22, 06:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,542 Posts
I have a thule pro xtr, but havent used it yet also have a saris bones for trunk (used once really solid) long story on how i got n+1 going on racks

Old 04-25-22, 06:42 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I use a Kuat rack, seen here as @SquireBlack and I were about to depart for Eroica California in 2018.

I like that nothing touches the paint. I've since added sections of an old inner tube to the plastic straps that secure the rear wheels in place because those will scratch up polished rims if left bare.

The rack has a built-in cable lock that I might trust if I'm with the vehicle or (very briefly) if I'm not in an urban area. I have a 12-pound chain and pad lock that I call "The Discourager" that locks the bikes to the rack when I'm going to step away from the vehicle, and the rack is locked to the hitch. It's a Harbor Freight chain, so you could probably cut through it pretty quickly, but my philosophy on bike security is that the important thing is for it to "look" secure. A determined thief will cut through anything given enough time (usually only a few minutes). My goal is for would-be thieves to move on to the next target without trying to steal my bike.
Old 04-25-22, 08:32 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,707 Times in 2,613 Posts
You people need to up your games:
Old 04-26-22, 04:37 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,968 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
You people need to up your games:
Oh...my...gosh...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 04-26-22, 05:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts

With many hanging racks take the capacity with a grain of salt. Depending on the bikes you can't always fit as many as they say. I rarely can fit 2 on my ridgeback 2
Likes For dedhed:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.