Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sekine questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sekine questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22, 12:08 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Sekine questions

I am cleaning up what appears to be a 70's Sekine. I looked on the net to try to ID this model but couldn't get a perfect match .

The only decals left show the word Sekine in about 1/4" high letters that was preceded by 3 or 4 other words that I could see the shadows in the paint but couldn't read. The serial no. on the bottom bracket is w 95519 and the seat tube lug has a serial no. 6099 preceded by a circle with a squiggle over the letter s. The derailleurs are Suntour, the brakes Diacomp, and the crank is a 165 cm Maxi 3 bolt with aluminum chainrings. The Wheels are Aluminum with large flange hubs. The frame including bottom bracket spindle and cups weighs 5.50 lbs. and the fork weighs 1.87 lbs. Currently the off side cup is stuck and I am going down to the lbs to see if they have the special pin wrench needed to unscrew it. Hopefully one of my Canadian friends can help out. The bike is going to be a donation unless it is worth lots of money in which case it will be sold to support the Bike Exchange. This is the first Sekine I have put my hands on and I am curious.
Old 03-18-22, 12:39 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ce-please.html
Old 03-18-22, 02:41 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a Sekine SHR. There's a bit of disagreement over how to interpret the serial number format but it it's August of either 1971 or 1972. That's in the gray area of the calendar year where it could be for the upcoming model year. So, it could be as new as a 1973 model. The missing part of the decal stated "World's Finest Bicycle". The frame is butted CrMo. It would have been considered a mid-range model in it's era.
Old 03-18-22, 04:00 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
My girlfriend has a green one of those. I would roughly equate it to a Raleigh supercourse of the same year. She still rides it 6 years later and loves the bike.