Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike hit by car. Frame still safe to use?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 07:41 PM
misctrader

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts

Hi, two days ago I was hit from the right side while riding my 1983 Trek 520. The driver slowed to a roll past the stop sign then proceeded to turn right. Upon accelerating from the roll I was hit.

I saw the car roll past the stop sign so I immediately swerved left, but it was not enough to avoid the car when they choose to turn right rather than come to a complete stop. I had the right of way. Upon being hit I swerved left and did a 180 degree spin and landed on the right side of the bike. The crank arm came off clean with the tip of the bottom bracket spindle/axle. The rear derailleur took a good hit as well. The handle bars were twisted out of alignment with the front wheel. This happened just a few days after I had just finished rebuilding the bike after acquiring it.

Is the bike frame salvageable or is it doomed to be nothing more than wall art?

My LBS didn't do a thorough inspection of the bike, but said it may be best to not use the frame.

What are your thoughts?

Old 09-08-18, 07:59 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Significant force, but for the frame it's test, don't guess.
I see scratches on the chainstay, the deraileur tab may be bent, (that is a test to know, not that hard with a proper tool)
Assuming the wheels are straight, set the bike on a line, like a vinyl tile floor, hold it upright and while only holding the front end, walk the bike backwards,does the rear wheel stay on the line? if it drifts, for sure the frame is tweaked and further measure will find out where.
Old 09-08-18, 08:01 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

From what can be seen in images provided frame looks fine.

​​​​​​​Appears the snapping of the bottom bracket spindle may have saved the frame from serious deformation.

One simple no-cost check you could make would be to remove the fittings and do an alignment inspection.

This can be done without recourse to special tools.

Instructions are provided at the Sheldon Brown site.

-----
Old 09-08-18, 08:06 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Parts can be replaced. The only thing that needs a thorough inspection is the frame. It needs to be checked for any serious dents and cracks/separations. If there’s nothing but superficial scratches, then check the alignment, especially of the seat and chain stays and also the fork blades. Also make sure the fork isn’t bent at the crown or steerer tube. If all of that checks out, then there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be able to rebuild it and keep riding. If you’re not willing to do, or pay someone to do that properly, then yea, you should probably replace the whole bike. If the wheels are damaged, just replace them, as it would likely be cheaper to replace than to rebuild. Based on what I can see from the few photos you provided, it’s seems Like the frame and wheels are fine and you got off pretty lucky. Have it properly check out, but I’m willing to bet that frame is still perfectly rideable. 👌🏼

Last edited by seamuis; 09-08-18 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 08:14 PM
temoniprince

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Luck and heal up!
Old 09-08-18, 09:05 PM
misctrader

Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely want to keep this bike on the road if possible. I'll have a look at it once I get it torn down. I'll have my LBS give it a thorough look as well.
Old 09-08-18, 09:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
If you can find someone or someplace that has the tools to work on vintage bikes, then it should only take a few minutes to check the frame for alignment, and perhaps even do some straightening.

Where are you located?
Old 09-08-18, 10:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Where are you located?
^^^This^^^

You'll get 10X better quality info if you add our location to your signature. Knowledge, and help is often local.
Old 09-08-18, 11:01 PM
misctrader

If you can find someone or someplace that has the tools to work on vintage bikes, then it should only take a few minutes to check the frame for alignment, and perhaps even do some straightening.

Where are you located?
I'm located by Fresno, Ca, I'm not aware of any places that specialize in vintage bikes.
Old 09-09-18, 12:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Talk to your LBS first. Perhaps give them a call and tell them about the wreck and ask if they can check the frame and alignment. If not, ask who they recommend.

There are regional discussion groups that might help you locate decent shops.

https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/
https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/

Is Fresno North or South... or just in Limbo?
Old 09-09-18, 12:35 AM
misctrader

Talk to your LBS first. Perhaps give them a call and tell them about the wreck and ask if they can check the frame and alignment. If not, ask who they recommend.

There are regional discussion groups that might help you locate decent shops.

https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/
https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/

Is Fresno North or South... or just in Limbo?
I had my LBS give me a quote on getting the bike repaired for insurance purposes and in the process they said it would be best to avoid using the frame. Although they did no thorough inspection, i.e. the bike was not torn down, just visually inspected. A thorough inspection would involve paying $60 and he said by the looks of it, the visual would be more than enough to give an estimate equal to or exceeding the bike's value, thus it wouldn't be worth it on my end to do it.

Its a few miles south, I'm actually in Madera. I just said Fresno because its geographically easier to identify relative to surrounding cities and wouldn't require using google maps.
Old 09-09-18, 01:52 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Suck and see.

It should be fine. I'm assuming you're not about to ride 50 mph downhill and cornering at full whack. Replace the broken/destroyed bits with some old but serviceable bits and ride around somewhere safe.
I find standing up on the pedals and bouncing, hard braking and cornering - all at a gentle pace - will tell you if the frame is fine, kaput or just needs straightening.

Last edited by Johno59; 09-09-18 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 05:50 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
Without putting an alignment gauge on the bike I'd say that the BB spindle took the bullet for the rest of the bike.
Get it checked, anyway.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-09-18, 07:27 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I would avoid going back to the LBS that declared the bike trashed without a good inspection. The bike is steel, not carbon(plastic). It’s far more durable than a plastic bike and if bent, can be bent back safely in all but the most extreme cases. Just looking at the pictures, I’d be very comfortable riding it. Any damage that was bad enough to kill the frame/fork would be easily spotted in the pictures. Read up on checking alignment or find a framebuilder with an alignment table- best option- and check it without paying $60 to somebody who obviously wants to sell you a new bike.
Old 09-09-18, 08:32 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Hopefully a thorough check of your own frame(self) by a doctor found no significant damage? Don
Old 09-09-18, 09:49 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by misctrader
I'm located by Fresno, Ca, I'm not aware of any places that specialize in vintage bikes.
Ah, I grew up in Madera. @Straightblock is in your neck of the woods. He put together my first real bike when he worked at a now defunct bike shop off of Blackstone (Big Wheel)*

I'd suggest clicking on User CP - Edit your profile, scroll down and enter Fresno in your location. You'll be surprised at the increase, quality, and specificity of responses you'l get, invites to local rides, help with parts, etc.

*He started working there 2 years after I bought it, but we don't let that little fact get in the way. We believe there was a time travel machine involved somewhere.