Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need replacement Spindle or BB for 83 Trek 520

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 12:17 PM
misctrader

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts

Hi where can I find a replacement spindle or bottom bracket, which ever is readily available, for my 1983 Trek 520? I have the original crankset which has a triple chainring. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Says Sakae 1.37x24t
Old 09-22-18, 12:44 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Shimano UN-55 worked well for me. I initially did a 127, but a 124 fit better on on my Trek 700 triple. However, the fit is a bit dependent on the crankset, in my experience.
Old 09-22-18, 01:47 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Whoa, what happened?

I used a Shimano cartridge on a 520 Cirrus as well. Can’t remember the length. If you still have the remainder of the spindle, get a measurement from the B.B. shell to the DS spindle end, and then buy the cartridge unit that matches. Or find the right cup/cone version if you prefer.
Old 09-22-18, 01:51 PM
misctrader

Originally Posted by jcb3
Shimano UN-55 worked well for me. I initially did a 127, but a 124 fit better on on my Trek 700 triple. However, the fit is a bit dependent on the crankset, in my experience.
Thanks that looks look a good option. How would I determine if it'd be a good it on my crankset? I have the SR Super Custom crankset.
Old 09-22-18, 01:53 PM
misctrader

Originally Posted by due ruote
Whoa, what happened?

I used a Shimano cartridge on a 520 Cirrus as well. Can’t remember the length. If you still have the remainder of the spindle, get a measurement from the B.B. shell to the DS spindle end, and then buy the cartridge unit that matches. Or find the right cup/cone version if you prefer.
I was hit, mildly, by a car and fell over on the right side of the bike and the crank arm broke off along with the spindle tip.
Old 09-22-18, 03:15 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by misctrader
I was hit, mildly, by a car and fell over on the right side of the bike and the crank arm broke off along with the spindle tip.
So the SR Super Custom would be a new crank or is it the existing crank and you were able to extract the portion of the spindle that broke?

If you can salvage the crankset, as @due ruote said, measure the existing spindle - try total length minus the threaded (male) portion of the spindle, if there is one. That will give you a starting point.

If asymmetrical ( drive side different distance from race to end than non-drive side - which is likely on these Treks), see this https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Scroll down to where the diagram of the spindle is, with the table below. That should bring you home.

Not much downside being wrong here, ultimately you will probably use the other one some day. I usually start out wider (127) and see how the bike shifts. Too close in and either the smallest front chainring rubs on the frame or you will get chainrub on the middle front chainring when on the smallest front chainring and are in the middle rear cogs.

You could also try to figure out chainline, but I'm an engineer and can't figure it out reliably - I just do trial and error (hence a drawer full of different spindles)
Old 09-22-18, 08:51 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Do you have a co-op within vicinity?

Coincidentally, I bought a 520 yesterday. It’s one year newer than yours, but has the same SR crankset. I had to address the bottom bracket right away. It wasn’t broken, but it was installed backwards, which caused the small chainring to rub against the chainstay. Of course, this made the bike inoperable.

I pulled the crank, and removed the bottom bracket.

Upon cleaning the parts up for reinstallstion, I noticed the spindle was pretty chewed up along its bearing surfaces.

The spindle is stamped “3 T,” and according to Sheldon Brown’s website that signifies the spindle is 123mm in overall length.

Today, a visit to the co-op turned up exactly one 3 T stamped spindle, which was luckily in good condition. The replacement is shown above the one being replaced...

Good luck getting your Trek back on track!
Old 09-23-18, 03:01 PM
cannonride15

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You could try these guys:
Husky Bicycles: Bottom Bracket Parts
Old 09-24-18, 08:58 AM
due ruote 

So the SR Super Custom would be a new crank or is it the existing crank and you were able to extract the portion of the spindle that broke?

If you can salvage the crankset, as @due ruote said, measure the existing spindle - try total length minus the threaded (male) portion of the spindle, if there is one. That will give you a starting point.

If asymmetrical ( drive side different distance from race to end than non-drive side - which is likely on these Treks), see this https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Scroll down to where the diagram of the spindle is, with the table below. That should bring you home.

Not much downside being wrong here, ultimately you will probably use the other one some day. I usually start out wider (127) and see how the bike shifts. Too close in and either the smallest front chainring rubs on the frame or you will get chainrub on the middle front chainring when on the smallest front chainring and are in the middle rear cogs.

You could also try to figure out chainline, but I'm an engineer and can't figure it out reliably - I just do trial and error (hence a drawer full of different spindles)
This is why I just focus on the drive side end of the spindle. You do have to make sure you buy the correct B.B. shell width, but otherwise it’s the driveside spindle end that matters most for chainline, and the NDS matters comparatively little. If your OEM spindle was Xmm and you buy an Xmm cartridge unit, you may not get the correct driveside spindle extension. At least that’s been my experience. Also remember that if you goof slightly and get one that’s 1-2mm too short, you can add a shim to bring it out a bit.

if you want to use your original cups and just replace the spindle, posting the dimensions of your old one may shake a replacement out if the bushes.

Last edited by due ruote; 09-24-18 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 09:35 AM
Knet

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I might have one of those laying around. Let me check tonight when I get off work.

EDIT: Nope, don't have one of those.

Last edited by Knet; 09-25-18 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-29-18, 11:11 AM
misctrader

Originally Posted by Knet
I might have one of those laying around. Let me check tonight when I get off work.

EDIT: Nope, don't have one of those.
Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.
Old 09-29-18, 11:59 AM
misctrader

)
I pulled it out and it and it is stamped with 3SS. It seems to measure 124mm, with the left side at 32mm, and the middle portion 52mm. The right side appears to be around 37mm.
Old 09-29-18, 01:36 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by misctrader
I pulled it out and it and it is stamped with 3SS. It seems to measure 124mm, with the left side at 32mm, and the middle portion 52mm. The right side appears to be around 37mm.
I have one. Yours for shipping$. PM if you still need it.
Old 09-29-18, 04:23 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
If the crankset hit the ground with enough force to break a solid steel spindle I would be checking the crankset to see if the arms aren't bent or the rings damaged, cracks, etc, before finding a new bottom bracket.

Last edited by Narhay; 09-29-18 at 06:31 PM.