Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Damaged frame from crash - safe for my child to ride?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 12:01 AM
syckman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

So I bought a Centurion Ironman Master for $75 late at night. Didn't have a chance to actually check it out til the next day when I saw the telltale signs of a crash - rippled paint on top and down tube just behind the lugs. Doesn't seem bad to me, plus fork is still straight, but I have no experience with crashed frames, so asking the experts here if this is perfectly safe. If so, planning on giving it to my teenager for her 4 years of college starting in the Fall.

Also, on a lesser note, the previous owner somehow broke off the plastic cover on both downtube shifters so need something to protect the parts from the elements. Perhaps plumbers putty, but hoping someone has a better idea that is not butt ugly!

Lastly, what is that plastic piece that fits in the groove of the shifter where the cable goes? Own several bikes with downtube shifters and have never seen that before.

TIA

Old 04-05-23, 04:07 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I'm a lurker on this sub, rather than a regular contributor, but I wouldn't say that's perfectly safe. It's a bit hard to say from the pics, especially without wheels but personally I'd call that $75 of parts still hanging on a frame, did the previous owner ride it as is?
Old 04-05-23, 06:33 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
The frame is fine. I’m not an expert but I had a frame that was crashed harder and than that and then straightened. An expert told me that these frames are overbuilt and don’t worry.

Bikerowave on Venice Blvd might have your missing shifter parts. Or get a “new” pair. The ones you have are not native to the Master IM.
Old 04-05-23, 06:39 PM
syckman

Originally Posted by Minion1
I'm a lurker on this sub, rather than a regular contributor, but I wouldn't say that's perfectly safe. It's a bit hard to say from the pics, especially without wheels but personally I'd call that $75 of parts still hanging on a frame, did the previous owner ride it as is?
Thx for reply. I've attached a couple photos with the wheels on, if that helps anyone get a better idea re: fork

Old 04-05-23, 06:50 PM
syckman

Originally Posted by Classtime
The frame is fine. I’m not an expert but I had a frame that was crashed harder and than that and then straightened. An expert told me that these frames are overbuilt and don’t worry.

Bikerowave on Venice Blvd might have your missing shifter parts. Or get a “new” pair. The ones you have are not native to the Master IM.
I tend to agree with you, especially because the fork seems fine. Just had no experience so if members here told me to watch out, I'd trash it. For now, its 1 keep and 1 dump...

I shall check out Bikerowave when I have a chance - seems like an awesome place - thanks!
Old 04-05-23, 07:23 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Could check or cracks in the steel by flaking off a little more paint in the affected areas, just to put your mind at ease. If you don't see any cracks, you're good to go!
Old 04-05-23, 08:33 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
To my eye, it looks like it took a hit big enough to crack the paint and sprung right back. In other words, it did what steel does. The tubing would show deformation long before it cracked.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-05-23, 10:01 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Honestly if you ask the question, you already know the answer. The damage to this one looks like it’s not just a simple crash. It looks like someone ran it into a garage. There’s an ocean of bikes around and you can find better. Why bother with something questionable, especially if the bike isn’t all that special. And especially considering that you aren’t the one who is going to be riding this.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-05-23, 10:37 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
So what would I do?

1 - Strip the paint off the the front tube and lugs then inspect the Lugs and tubes inside and out.
2 - Double check the fork inside and out.

I suspect the injury is superficial in that its a steel frame but ya really won't know till ya get the paint off to bare metal...
Old 04-05-23, 10:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Parenting 101: If there is any chance of this resulting in an injury or worse, your answer is obvious. Anticipate the worst case scenario, and then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

However, if you are having second thoughts about college tuition, this might be a great investment.
Old 04-05-23, 11:10 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
At most schools it's unlikely any bike will last 4 years without being stolen. But as long as she owns it that frame will be fine.
Old 04-06-23, 04:26 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
I caused similar frontend damage to a Motobecane. Eventually, the downtube cracked on the underside, right at the lug. But that was about 11.000 miles after I crashed it.

And, being young, dumb and poor, I rode the thing for a few hundred miles after I saw the crack. When it got about 1/3 of the way around the tube, I retired it.

Last edited by gearbasher; 04-06-23 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-06-23, 08:05 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Parenting 101: If there is any chance of this resulting in an injury or worse, your answer is obvious.
Yes, I think this should drive your strategy. Probability of a related incident is low; however the consequences could be severe.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-06-23, 08:16 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
I rode a similarly damaged bike and after about a year of regular riding, the tubing developed significant cracks and wasn't safe. I would ride that bike as a commuter and keep an eye out for cracks, but don't think I'd pass it on to someone who wasn't paying close attention to such things. I don't know if that describes your situation or not.

Last edited by Sedgemop; 04-06-23 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-06-23, 01:17 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by syckman
Lastly, what is that plastic piece that fits in the groove of the shifter where the cable goes? Own several bikes with downtube shifters and have never seen that before.
TIA

I didn't see where anyone answered this part of the question. The plastic piece in the groove is how Shimano modified the shift lever to work with both 6 and 7 speeds. 6 speed spacers are slightly thicker than 7 speed, so each click needs to pull more cable. If you are using the lever with 7 speeds, you remove the plastic piece. I have never seen one in person, but I have seen it on a parts diagram.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-06-23, 04:39 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I don't think it will assplode.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-06-23, 05:39 PM
syckman

Took one member's advice to remove paint to check out the damage, and it doesn't look bad. Then when I resprayed the frame, you can't even tell there was ever a problem here - looks great actually (for a backyard spraypaint job!). Good enough that it would make me think twice about ever buying a resprayed bike frame.

I think what I'm going to do is ride it myself for next 4 months and monitor. If issues, will trash - if all OK, I think I'd feel comfortable having my kid ride it on campus when school starts in the Fall, especially since she's a very mellow rider (avg <10 mph) and this will be set up with beach cruiser bars.

Last edited by syckman; 04-06-23 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-07-23, 07:00 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Nice job with the touch up!
Likes For Mr. 66: