Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

folks please, ALWAYS wear a helmet!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-12, 11:09 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Went on the monthly evening group ride tonight. Excellent weather, great turnout, great route. It was a blast until we neared the end and this one girl went down. Not sure what caused it at this point, but she was not wearing a helmet. It was no more than 8-10 mph, but she was lying on the side of the road with her head bleed, and blood running down the street gutter. Had to call 911, ambulance, police showed up.

I think it probably looked worse than it actually was. She'll probably just have a concussion. But still, it just goes to show how important helmets are. ALWAYS have it on when riding.
Old 06-03-12, 05:12 AM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I'll be alright without, thanks. In any case, please see 'the helmet thread' for more endless debate going nowhere than you can shake a stick at. Also see www.cyclehelmets.org for information on the capabilities and limitations of cycle helmets.

I hope you're wearing your drinking helmet as well, and your ladder helmet, shower helmet....

Last edited by Monster Pete; 06-03-12 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-03-12, 05:55 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well in that kind of accident a helmet is probably very useful. I think everybody here would have to admit reasonably.
Old 06-03-12, 06:15 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It never hurts to have insurance on the head of a young child. Additionally, the helmet has saved my life once + a helmet would have helped in the case of a university cyclist when her head hit a curb in one of UC Davis' silly roundabouts. So, I am all for helmets.

I hope you can update us on her condition.

Cheers,

Essex
Old 06-03-12, 06:33 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mos6502
Well in that kind of accident a helmet is probably very useful. I think everybody here would have to admit reasonably.
That's a false assumption as evidenced by the very first follow up.
Old 06-03-12, 06:50 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Might have helped with whatever caused the bleeding, but helmets are not proof against concussion.

There's a dedicated, stickied helmet thread for stuff like this...
Old 06-03-12, 08:10 AM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
It never hurts to have insurance on the head of a young child.
Probably true.

Additionally, the helmet has saved my life once + a helmet would have helped in the case of a university cyclist when her head hit a curb in one of UC Davis' silly roundabouts.
Probably not. But there's a thread where it's discussed.
Old 06-03-12, 08:25 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
That's a false assumption as evidenced by the very first follow up.
I did qualify my statement with reasonably. There will always be unreasonable people out there.

I think any reasonable person if given the choice between having their skull abraded by concrete, and not having it abraded by concrete - would choose the latter. It's only reasonable.

As to whether or not a helmet is "life saving" or even necessary - that is an entirely different matter.
Old 06-03-12, 08:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
patrick

Be prepared to be dumped on. There is a small very vocal clik that seems to think it is their duty to tell people that helmets are worthless. BTW I am on your side.
Old 06-03-12, 09:12 AM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hagen2456
Probably true.

Probably not. But there's a thread where it's discussed.
The female cyclist's head hit the edge of a curb at the upper portion of the skull. If she had been wearing helmet the impact would have been deflected, or absorbed by the helmet material.
Old 06-03-12, 09:24 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
The female cyclist's head hit the edge of a curb at the upper portion of the skull. If she had been wearing helmet the impact would have been deflected, or absorbed by the helmet material.
Maybe, maybe not...
Old 06-03-12, 09:52 AM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit my funnybone yesterday, does that mean you should always wear elbow pads? I mean if you have the choice of being hit in the elbow with an elbow pad or without an elbow pad, which would you choose?

Please always wear elbow pads.
Old 06-03-12, 09:54 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Patrick, I do appreciate the concern and your intention but it's really none of your business if I wear a helmet or don't.
Old 06-03-12, 10:55 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan The Man
I hit my funnybone yesterday, does that mean you should always wear elbow pads? I mean if you have the choice of being hit in the elbow with an elbow pad or without an elbow pad, which would you choose?

Please always wear elbow pads.
Are you suggesting that elbow pads would not be useful in an instance where one's elbow might need padding?
Old 06-03-12, 11:31 AM
RolandArthur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Patrick,

I would like to make an addition to your suggested safety precaution. The bicycle helmet adds a disputed small amount to your safety, without a doubt it does nothing to protect the rest of your body. Please Patrick, ALWAYS wear this when you´re riding:

The colour scheme from the picture is a bit off, obviously it should be bright orange with high viz bands. Being a cyclists it´s really important to be visible for other road users! Add a helmet mounted flashing light for good measure. Audio signals can also benefit here, a 100 Db installation with for example a tape from a merry go round is sure to get you noticed.

Most important: Besides cycling there are many dangerous activities you might be doing, like walking, climbing a ladder or taking a shower. ALWAYS wear this protection!

I hope this information makes your cycling experience, and overall living experience, more pleasant.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eod.jpg (98.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-03-12, 11:36 AM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find there are a lot of arm chair scientists making posts already. As per helmets - I have direct evidence as the friend hitting the curbside would have not been injured (coma) to the same extent had she been wearing a helmet. The other was me taking a massive spill. The Bell helmet (Snell rating) I wore was cracked near the centerline. If I hadn't worn it the primary impact would have been at the top of my skull.
Old 06-03-12, 11:44 AM
RobertHurst

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Or the helmet may have caught on the curb and twisted her neck very badly. Which would have been worse than a concussion or bleeding head. There is a lot of woulda coulda in these helmet threads. Most reasonable people would agree.
Old 06-03-12, 11:47 AM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will try to sum up the arguments from the very long helmet thread. There are two main sticking points really. First how dangerous is cycling? Second, how much protection do helmets provide?

The other less important arguments are whether or not there is any disadvantage to wearing a helmet while not crashing, whether individuals should be making choices about their own safety vs peer pressure vs government legislation, where helmet wearing fits in the spectrum of all bicycle safety choices, and whether the opposite side of the debate is full of idiots, trolls, or a$$holes.
Old 06-03-12, 11:50 AM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertHurst
Or the helmet may have caught on the curb and twisted her neck very badly. Which would have been worse than a concussion or bleeding head. There is a lot of woulda coulda in these helmet threads. Most reasonable people would agree.
Arm chair scientist #3 - Most reasonable people - quantify "reasonable" other than it is your opinion without direct evidence. I have to say this is becoming a fun thread for me and probably worthless as I can't reason with something that is based on hearsay, or flat out opinion.
Old 06-03-12, 11:52 AM
RolandArthur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find there are a lot of arm chair scientists making posts already. As per helmets - I have direct evidence as the friend hitting the curbside would have not been injured (coma) to the same extent had she been wearing a helmet. The other was me taking a massive spill. The Bell helmet (Snell rating) I wore was cracked near the centerline. If I hadn't worn it the primary impact would have been at the top of my skull.
The arm chair scientist would be you? Your anecdotal evidence contradicts my anecdotal evidence. I crashed plenty of times, including hitting my head, but the only real damage I got was on my torso. Since you´re really concerned about your safety I presume you will be wearing the safety precautions I made in my previous post?
Old 06-03-12, 11:57 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mos6502
Heh, you obviously haven't spent much time around these nutbags.
Old 06-03-12, 12:03 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Patrick, I do appreciate the concern and your intention but it's really none of your business if I wear a helmet or don't.
Actually, in a country where all of us have to pay taxes to support emergency medical care for those people shortsighted enough to not wear helmets when they crash and hurt their heads, I would say that it is our business.
Old 06-03-12, 12:14 PM
RolandArthur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Actually, in a country where all of us have to pay taxes to support emergency medical care for those people shortsighted enough to not wear helmets when they crash and hurt their heads, I would say that it is our business.
If you want to safe money on medical care you should kick Obama out of his office and get rid of all the Mc D eating couch hanging people.

Cycling with or without head bucket is healthy and lowers medical costs.

Last edited by RolandArthur; 06-03-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 12:24 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
A riding partner on a test ride went down hard on the side of his head, no helmet, 25mph. I'm wondering if a helmet would have saved his ear.
Old 06-03-12, 12:32 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Nope. Even if it were true that requiring helmets saves money overall (it isn't), it still would be none of your business. Sorry, but that's the facts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.