Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Would someone perhaps help this noobie out?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 09:29 PM
pavena

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forewarning: I'm completely new to bikes.

I found a really old geared Free Spirit on the street. It was completely useless. Part of the rims were eaten by rust, the grips literally cracked off by touch, flat tires, etc etc. My friend told me it'd be cheap to convert it into a fixie, and I did as much research a noob could do, and I'm almost positive I still don't know the half of it - call me ignorant for diving into this project without completely knowing the know.

I took apart the bike entirely, sanded and repainted the frame, determined what I needed and didn't need, as well as ordering myself some new parts while trying to keep within a reasonable budget. I ordered rims that came with hubs and a 16 T cog + tubes, a crankset (160mm as I am not that tall), a bottom bracket, and 1/8 chains. My tires, grips, and pedals didn't come in yet, and I'll get a brake system for the front later. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something? I've watched some videos on installing the bottom bracket, and I've noticed most frames had threads where they install their bottom bracket, and mine, well, it isn't the same (at least I don't think so). Can someone fill me in on as to what I'm needing to install the bottom bracket? Pardon my lack of knowledge

I just finished putting spokes on one rim I'll do the other and attempt to true it a little later, so don't mind those

I also kept a somewhat photo journey on "Instagram" if anyone wants to pointlessly view it, but feel free to ignore, or point out any misdoings..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
b.jpg (90.3 KB, 101 views)
journey.jpg (88.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 11-11-12, 10:17 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pavena
Forewarning: I'm completely new to bikes.

I found a really old geared Free Spirit on the street. It was completely useless. Part of the rims were eaten by rust, the grips literally cracked off by touch, flat tires, etc etc. My friend told me it'd be cheap to convert it into a fixie, and I did as much research a noob could do, and I'm almost positive I still don't know the half of it - call me ignorant for diving into this project without completely knowing the know.

I took apart the bike entirely, sanded and repainted the frame, determined what I needed and didn't need, as well as ordering myself some new parts while trying to keep within a reasonable budget. I ordered rims that came with hubs and a 16 T cog + tubes, a crankset (160mm as I am not that tall), a bottom bracket, and 1/8 chains. My tires, grips, and pedals didn't come in yet, and I'll get a brake system for the front later. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something? I've watched some videos on installing the bottom bracket, and I've noticed most frames had threads where they install their bottom bracket, and mine, well, it isn't the same (at least I don't think so). Can someone fill me in on as to what I'm needing to install the bottom bracket? Pardon my lack of knowledge

I just finished putting spokes on one rim I'll do the other and attempt to true it a little later, so don't mind those

I also kept a somewhat photo journey on "Instagram" if anyone wants to pointlessly view it, but feel free to ignore, or point out any misdoings..

Well it looks like you jumped in head first! I like that kind of recklessness in young people. As far as your bottom Bracket goes, your frame takes what is called a One-Piece "Ashtabula" Cranks which does not use the bottom bracket cartridge you bought. But you can buy an conversion kit so the frame will play with your 3 piece cranks; it's all explained here; https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html . Have you given any thought to the headset?
Old 11-11-12, 10:21 PM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
Well it looks like you jumped in head first! I like that kind of recklessness in young people. As far as your bottom Bracket goes, your frame takes what is called a One-Piece "Ashtabula" Cranks which does not use the bottom bracket cartridge you bought. But you can buy an conversion kit so the frame will play with your 3 piece cranks; it's all explained here; https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html . Have you given any thought to the headset?
First and foremost, literally, I love you. I've been desperately staring at the computer hoping I'd get replies soon because I'm so anxious, so THANK YOU lots for replying. So I didn't TOTALLY waste money on this crankset? And hm, headset.. Again, I'm completely new to the bicycle world, so I'm going to assume that's the handle bar area? If so, I was just going to replace the drop with a flat?
Old 11-11-12, 10:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
If you're on a budget and have shops with good used parts selections you can probably get a decent one-piece BMX crank to put on there for $5-10. If you got the dough get the adapter above. You'll have to pop out the Ashtabula cups that are still in your frame. Hammer + screw driver is what I use.

Hope you get it on the road soon. The other day we had two Free Spirits on the same page over in SSFG!

ThimbleSmash's

And mine:

Free Spirit Sunbird by Lester.L., on Flickr
Old 11-11-12, 10:29 PM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
If you're on a budget and have shops with good used parts selections you can probably get a decent one-piece BMX crank to put on there for $5-10.

Hope you get it on the road soon. The other day we had two Free Spirits on the same page over in SSFG!

ThimbleSmash's

And mine:

Free Spirit Sunbird by Lester.L., on Flickr

Aww! I really like yours, red is my favorite color I live in a pretty small town, and there aren't any bike shops here, I had to order everything online

Last edited by pavena; 11-11-12 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 11:06 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First and foremost, literally, I love you. I've been desperately staring at the computer hoping I'd get replies soon because I'm so anxious, so THANK YOU lots for replying. So I didn't TOTALLY waste money on this crankset? And hm, headset.. Again, I'm completely new to the bicycle world, so I'm going to assume that's the handle bar area? If so, I was just going to replace the drop with a flat?
The headset was the part that held the fork onto the frame; the part of the frame where the fork slides into is called the head tube. When you removed the fork from the head tube, you unscrewed a nut and a threaded race as indicated in this web site.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headset...rt%29#Threaded . Did you plan on re-using the parts or do you need to replace them?
Old 11-11-12, 11:17 PM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The headset was the part that held the fork onto the frame; the part of the frame where the fork slides into is called the head tube. When you removed the fork from the head tube, you unscrewed a nut and a threaded race as indicated in this web site.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headset...rt%29#Threaded . Did you plan on re-using the parts or do you need to replace them?
Oh! I planned on sanding out the rust and cleaning it out and just reuse them. Is that bad?
Old 11-11-12, 11:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I wouldn't sand the bearing faces of the headset's cups or cones, just clean with WD-40, gasoline or kerosene.
Old 11-11-12, 11:25 PM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't sand the bearing faces of the headset's cups or cones, just clean with WD-40, gasoline or kerosene.

Oh! Thanks!!
Old 11-11-12, 11:56 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh! I planned on sanding out the rust and cleaning it out and just reuse them. Is that bad?
If the outside of the headset is rusty than you can use whatever you want to remove the rust, however if the inside is rusted enough to leave any pits or a rough surface, you should replace it.
Old 11-12-12, 12:03 AM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the outside of the headset is rusty than you can use whatever you want to remove the rust, however if the inside is rusted enough to leave any pits or a rough surface, you should replace it.
Will keep that in mind when I get to that part!

So what I just did, I knocked out the bearing cups, right.. and I tried to just fit my BB into the hole, but these tubes are sticking so far out that my BB won't even fit through, so I'm pretty sure even with the adapter, it won't go through. I just figured out the previous crankset was a one piece looseball one, and so the middle was thin. But I'm really set on using this crankset, because it's too late for returns I was thinking, if I possibly figure out a way to get rid of these tubes, could I still use the converter?

Attached Images
mm.jpg (86.2 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by pavena; 11-12-12 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-12-12, 12:09 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Hmmm, that could present a problem.

Options:

1. Grind and/or file tubes.
2. One-Piece cranks.
3. Get an old-school cup and cone 3-piece bottom bracket to go in the adapter. They don't have the big metal tube going all the way through like the new ones do. This is all there is to them:

Old 11-12-12, 12:16 AM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm, that could present a problem.

Options:

1. Grind and/or file tubes.
2. One-Piece cranks.
3. Get an old-school cup and cone 3-piece bottom bracket to go in the adapter. They don't have the big metal tube going all the way through like the new ones do. This is all there is to them:

Hm, if I went with option one, would the adapter shown up there 100% work, and I would be able to use the 3 piece crank I have already?
Old 11-12-12, 12:25 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

You should be able to use the Truvativ BB conversion if you grind and file those unmitered tubes out of the way. It'll take a lot of grinding/filing because the Bottom Bracket will have to sit in the exact center of the Bottom Bracket Shell and it doesn't even fit at all right now, much less fit in the center of the BB shell.
Old 11-12-12, 12:27 AM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be able to use the Truvativ BB conversion if you grind and file those unmitered tubes out of the way. It'll take a lot of grinding/filing because the Bottom Bracket will have to sit in the exact center of the Bottom Bracket Shell and it doesn't even fit at all right now, much less fit in the center of the BB shell.

Hmm, would you say that the hole for the BB is the same in diameter for all bikes and that the BB is the only different component? I'm scared if I buy the conversion kit and file down the tubes, that the BB hole will be too big or something?
Old 11-12-12, 12:34 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

The Truvativ BB conversion parts will fit snugly in the BB shell as long as you don't grind any of the inside of the shell while you're going after those frame tubes, so just be careful not to do that.
Old 11-12-12, 12:36 AM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Truvativ BB conversion parts will fit snugly in the BB shell as long as you don't grind any of the inside of the shell while you're going after those frame tubes, so just be careful not to do that.

Got it! THANK YOU SOOOOOO SO MUCH! All of you lovely people! I just want to hug all of you and put you in my pocket!
Old 11-12-12, 06:20 AM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, would I need new bearing cups or anything?
Old 11-12-12, 10:33 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Also, would I need new bearing cups or anything?
With the Truvativ conversion, you should be good to go. Your current BB has the bearings in it.

This looks like a really fun project! Great job so far, and kudos to you for jumping right in! What a great way to get comfortable with wrenching on bikes.

Based on the components that you have obtained for your build, it would appear that you might be seeking a "sporty" riding style. Just know that the frame you're working with is not a very "sporty" frame (its quality is quite low and its geometry is pretty laid back), so if you desire something sportier, All you have to do is swap everything over to another frame whenever it is time to do so. A track frame or road racing frame (with horizontal dropouts) would do the trick.

In the mean time, enjoy the process, and please post pics of your build! It should be a very cool bike.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 11-12-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-12-12, 10:59 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Don't sand the bearing races as that erodes the case-hardening and makes them wear out quickly. Instead, use a wire wheel or steel wool and vinegar to remove the rust.
Old 11-12-12, 11:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cheap, OPC BBs and headsets are available, New, to not waste time
scraping and sanding old rusty, replaceable, parts.
Old 11-12-12, 01:52 PM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
With the Truvativ conversion, you should be good to go. Your current BB has the bearings in it.

This looks like a really fun project! Great job so far, and kudos to you for jumping right in! What a great way to get comfortable with wrenching on bikes.

Based on the components that you have obtained for your build, it would appear that you might be seeking a "sporty" riding style. Just know that the frame you're working with is not a very "sporty" frame (its quality is quite low and its geometry is pretty laid back), so if you desire something sportier, All you have to do is swap everything over to another frame whenever it is time to do so. A track frame or road racing frame (with horizontal dropouts) would do the trick.

In the mean time, enjoy the process, and please post pics of your build! It should be a very cool bike.

Oh, silly me! I knew that

It IS really fun. I just haaaad to say, "Ooh, free bike!", because it turned out to not be so free, and I became OBSESSED with tinkering this little Frankenstein of mine. I literally stayed up until the next day to figure out how to lace my rims! Thank god I didn't find a free CAR versus a bike and decide to restore that.. My life would've been in ruins.

Yeah, I'm just using this frame for now, being that it's my first one and all, and I wouldn't dare mess up a new one in case I do something drastic/wrong

Thanks so much for the advice!! Haha will do, I now definitely feel obligated to finish and post up the product!
Old 11-12-12, 01:52 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Cheap, OPC BBs and headsets are available, New, to not waste time
scraping and sanding old rusty, replaceable, parts.
I'll fully agree that I would replace the headset simply as a matter of course (if corroded), but the OP has said
there aren't any bike shops here.
I'm not sure where it is that has no bike shops, but to replace the headset would require the OP to R&R the cups and crown race, which may be beyond her ability, and she would no doubt have to fabricate some tools as those sold on the internet, or anywhere else for that matter, are quite pricey.
Old 11-12-12, 01:53 PM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Don't sand the bearing races as that erodes the case-hardening and makes them wear out quickly. Instead, use a wire wheel or steel wool and vinegar to remove the rust.
Got it! Thanks!
Old 11-12-12, 02:31 PM
pavena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll fully agree that I would replace the headset simply as a matter of course (if corroded), but the OP has said
I'm not sure where it is that has no bike shops, but to replace the headset would require the OP to R&R the cups and crown race, which may be beyond her ability, and she would no doubt have to fabricate some tools as those sold on the internet, or anywhere else for that matter, are quite pricey.

I live in a very, VERY small town in Louisiana. If it comes down to me really REAAAAAALLY really having to go to a bike shop, I'll make the drive to one, thanks for the heads up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.