Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Puchs with Columbus Frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 08:24 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts

Are all Puchs with Columbus frames made outside of Austria?
I have a mid-eighties Mistral SE with 531 that is made in Austria.
I have seen some, what I presume are later models, with Columbus tubing.
These are Bianchi-made, right?
Old 04-04-24, 08:38 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 430 Posts
My 87ish Puch Mistral, is supposedly made for Bianchi in Japan. The Label is Columbus SLX, but I think that is regarded as a Bianchi SLX combo of other tubes.

Likes For daverup:
Old 04-04-24, 08:49 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
I don’t know if the tubing manufacturer was so restricted but I do know the top of line Puchs in late 1980s were made in Italy by Bianchi. I had a Puch Mistral Professional and Bianchi Superleggera side by side (both brand new) at VeloSport in Berkeley and other than the pantographed Cinelli stems and fork crowns that were embossed with their respective brands, they were identical beneath the paint and decals. The Puch was significantly cheaper so I bought the Puch. I was always a little rebellious in a punk-rock way so I pulled off the decals and re-decaled as a “PUKE”

Last edited by Markeologist; 04-04-24 at 08:54 AM.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 04-04-24, 08:50 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3608 Post(s)
Liked 3,027 Times in 1,832 Posts
Neat looking bike. Tape seems made for the bike (maybe it was?). Can't answer your question, but I'm curious about the added cable clamps on the top tube. What's their purpose?
Old 04-04-24, 08:51 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
My 87ish Puch Mistral, is supposedly made for Bianchi in Japan. The Label is Columbus SLX, but I think that is regarded as a Bianchi SLX combo of other tubes.

Paint scheme and decals are what mine had before pulling the decals off … except for fork, mine is painted. Mine was speced with the then new Campy Chorus gruppo. (yours may have been rebuilt). As I recall, however, mine said made in Italy and again the frame was identical to Bianchi except fork crown:

Last edited by Markeologist; 04-04-24 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-04-24, 09:06 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
That is what mine looked like before pulling the decals off. As I recall, however, mine said made in Italy and again the frame was identical to Bianchi except fork crown:
It is my understanding that although my bike does carry a "Made in Italy" sticker, Bianchi did outsource many frames to Japan.
I may be wrong, I can't find any specific info at the moment.

smd4
The extra cable clamps I added because the outer brake cable I used is very stiff and made me nervous about my top tube cable guides. If i change that out, I would probably remove the extra clamps. I am fine with it as is, this is not a museum piece, no original fork, Shimano TriColor.

The bar tape is by BTP down under, I tried a couple of different combos before I got this one that matched.
Old 04-04-24, 09:45 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
It is my understanding that although my bike does carry a "Made in Italy" sticker, Bianchi did outsource many frames to Japan.
I may be wrong, I can't find any specific info at the moment.

smd4
The extra cable clamps I added because the outer brake cable I used is very stiff and made me nervous about my top tube cable guides. If i change that out, I would probably remove the extra clamps. I am fine with it as is, this is not a museum piece, no original fork, Shimano TriColor.

The bar tape is by BTP down under, I tried a couple of different combos before I got this one that matched.
I had the same concerns about using brake cable sheathing that's too stiff. A few years ago, I bought a set of brake cables from V/O that had braided sheathing and was surprised when I received the set and found out that they were very stiff and resisted being bent into curves strongly. I thought I could soften them up by "massaging" them a bit, but it did not do anything. So I ended up not even using them on my bikes, cause I could see me breaking the brazed on cable guide, nearest the head tube, after some time from fatigue.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1: