Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Paramount Series 40 PDG?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-23, 01:33 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts

I'm wondering if the Schwinn frame would be lighter than my Diamondback Ascent Frame?

The seller wants $50 for the bike, but they're elusive. I've been trying to look at it for 2 weeks now, but the seller doesn't respond. They responded "yes" when I posted "?". Any query longer than my question mark isn't answered.

Is the Schwinn worth my persistence? It looks like it'd make a good touring bike conversion.

I noticed there might be something strange going on at the frame where it connects to the rear derailleur.

Last edited by mtnbud; 11-23-23 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-23-23, 02:40 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I have 2 Diamondback Ascents and they are very different bikes and I have one of the Schwinns a PDG 20 the pile as well. The PDG 40 is the next step up. Assuming you have a 90's era Diamondback, Id say the Schwinn is a bit higher end than the Acsent , and probably lighter. My Diamond back is set up as a single speed so I can't get a proper comparison for you. The dropped chainstay is a "feature" and is supposed to avoid chain slap. The geometry's are quite different though. The Schwinn is a lot longer in the head tube length. I thing both bikes have that same seat tube length, but the Schwinn is a much "bigger" bike, long and low. If I give it another chance it will be with a short hi ride stem and swept back bars.

Last edited by bark_eater; 11-23-23 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-23-23, 03:07 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I have 2 Diamondback Ascents and they are very different bikes and I have one of the Schwinns a PDH 20 the pile as well. The PDG 40 is the next step up. Assuming you have a 90's era Diamondback, Id say the Schwinn is a bit higher end than the Acsent , and probably lighter. My Diamond back is set up as a single speed so I can't get a proper comparison for you. The dropped chainstay is a "feature" and is supposed to avoid chain slap. The geometry's a re quite different though. The Schwinn is a lot longer in the head tube length. I thing both bikes have that same seat tube length, but the Schwinn is a much "bigger" bike, long and low. If I give it another chance it will be with a short hi ride stem and swept back bars.
Thanks. It does look like it has a longer top tube. It might feel a little better than my Ascent. As it always takes me a few moments to adjust to the way the Ascent feels when I hop on it. I'm assuming the chainstays are long enough on the Schwinn for panniers. They look a little shorter than my chainstays on my Ascent, but 90s mtb geometries all seem.to have good length chainstays for panniers.
Old 11-24-23, 09:25 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,112 Posts
I don’t recall a Series 40 ??? hmmm

we have three PDG series Schwinn Paramounts - TIG’d Series 70 and lugged Series 70 and Series 90 (currently being rebuilt) … also BITD had a TIG’d Series 30 and Series 50

many of our friends also had or still have PDG Series Schwinn Paramounts

the TIG’d Series 50 and 70 frame / fork are a good step up from the Series 30 - higher quality / lighter gauge tubing and weigh less … how much ? can’t recall … unfortunately did not weigh the frames or forks at the time … the lugged frames weigh less than the upper level TIG’d frames - and the forks equipped on the lugged frames also weigh slightly less (approx 100 g) than the forks equipped on the TIG’d frames

Last edited by t2p; 11-24-23 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-24-23, 11:21 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Is the Schwinn worth my persistence? It looks like it'd make a good touring bike conversion.
IMO- the mid/late 80s ATBs are the ones to go for. They'll have fender and or rack mounts on the dropouts and the stays, sometimes a pump peg, dual eyelets on the fork ends and mid-fork rack braze ons in addition to 2 bosses for water bottles. After you hit 1988 or so, the wheelbases start getting shorter and the rack mounts start disappearing- as the bike was transitioning into "racing" rather than "bike packing." By the 90s the ATB was a thing of the past.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.