Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bought a frame to build a fixie out of

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 06:36 PM
Mars_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just bought this thing and the wheel in the back for $20. Things got rust on it, needs to be cleaned and repainted (gonna keep the maroon purple colour) but overall it’s pretty solid! bottom bracket needs to be replaced cuz the thing is rusted (it still turns pretty well surprisingly tho), gonna 90% probably change the breaks n just install front break, get another wheel, crankset and chain, etc etc.

Super hype!!
Attached Images
Old 03-30-18, 09:38 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
Nice score!
Old 03-30-18, 11:28 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Looks like a great candidate, keep us posted.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-30-18, 03:15 PM
Mars_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took it to a shop around the corner (I also might have scored a job there!!) to get the bottom bracket checked out. Guy took it out, showed me the measurements n stuff, cleaned it out and threw some lubricant in there n then put it back in. Said it was fine to use, but it’s a wider axle (120), and if I wanted to build a fixie out of it I might want to get a narrower one, but ultimately depends on the crankset n how close to the frame it is. So that’s awesome!

Brakes are coming off tho, pain in the neck tryna get the rear caliper off (front was relatively easy, albeit time consuming but). Definitely gonna be replacing the brake(s)... but a starts a start i guess

Got some rust remover, gonna do that tmmw (or maybe just later?? Depending on when I finish the brakes) and I’ll get a couple cans of spray paint n redo that. All in all, pretty good day!

Update: Pic is after I took the brakes off

Also, gonna clean the rust off and paint it on Monday. My friend is letting me borrow her backyard
Attached Images

Last edited by Mars_; 03-30-18 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-31-18, 05:21 AM
mavimao

Bikes: Custom Mercier - Velo'v - Peugeot FG conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very pretty bike you have there!
Old 04-06-18, 11:32 AM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go Man Go!
Old 04-06-18, 12:19 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Is it a Motobecane? May have a french threaded BB and fork, all that fun stuff.
Old 04-14-18, 04:36 PM
Mars_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Is it a Motobecane? May have a french threaded BB and fork, all that fun stuff.
Yea it is a motobecane! Not French threaded BB tho, English. Took it out, took the handlebars and fork out. Gonna brush it down n get the rust off. If it doesn’t rain tmmw I’ll take it and paint it over at my friends house. Haven’t been able to work on it cuz of school and vacation (went out of state) so hopefully I’ll be doing stuff now!
Old 04-15-18, 12:24 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mars_
Yea it is a motobecane! Not French threaded BB tho, English. Took it out, took the handlebars and fork out. Gonna brush it down n get the rust off. If it doesn’t rain tmmw I’ll take it and paint it over at my friends house. Haven’t been able to work on it cuz of school and vacation (went out of state) so hopefully I’ll be doing stuff now!
Probably not British thread. Might seem that way if the fixed cup is LH thread, but it's more likely to be Swiss thread, as Motobecane used Swiss thread BBs on many bikes. I assume the steerer is French thread? If so, lay the cup thread against the steerer thread and if the pitches line up, and your fixed cup is LH thread, it's Swiss.

Because British threads are slightly smaller and the pitch is pretty close, you can force a British/ISO thread BB cup into a Swiss threaded BB shell, but it is not a good idea. Please don't. It will thread in easily about three or four threads and then you will have to force it, which will damage the threads either on your cup or your frame because of the pitch difference.
Old 04-15-18, 12:55 PM
Mars_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
Probably not British thread. Might seem that way if the fixed cup is LH thread, but it's more likely to be Swiss thread, as Motobecane used Swiss thread BBs on many bikes. I assume the steerer is French thread? If so, lay the cup thread against the steerer thread and if the pitches line up, and your fixed cup is LH thread, it's Swiss.

Because British threads are slightly smaller and the pitch is pretty close, you can force a British/ISO thread BB cup into a Swiss threaded BB shell, but it is not a good idea. Please don't. It will thread in easily about three or four threads and then you will have to force it, which will damage the threads either on your cup or your frame because of the pitch difference.
It was 68mm tho? I thought that was English. But I was gonna get a 68x103mm square tapered BB for the sugino rd2 crankset I wanna get. Wud that b fine?
Old 04-15-18, 02:22 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It was 68mm tho? I thought that was English.
It is. But it's also French and Swiss.

Well, to be perfectly accurate, the British BB shell width spec was originally 2⅝" or 67mm. French and Swiss are actually 68mm, so everyone rounds up British to that and it works fine. The older the British bike, the more likely is will be to have a 2⅝" shell though.

But in any case, the threading doesn't care what the width is or vice versa. British thread shells come in 2⅝" or 2⅞" (68 or 73mm.) I've seen Italian threaded BB shells in 65, 70, and 74mm widths.

But I was gonna get a 68x103mm square tapered BB for the sugino rd2 crankset I wanna get. Wud that b fine?
Can't/won't answer that because we don't know the threading. Please CHECK THE BB THREAD FIRST before you go buying something that might not work.

If your frame turns out to have Swiss threads, and if the above BB is a loose-ball BB, you might be able to use the spindle in your original cups, if they're in good condition. The other choice you have for a BB spindle that length is Phil Wood. They still make Swiss thread retaining rings for their BBs.
Old 04-15-18, 03:28 PM
phobus

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Velo Orange also has an option for Swiss thread bottom brackets. It's actually a threadless bottom bracket, but is supposed to fit BB shells with English/French/Swiss/ruined threading too.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ottom-brackets
Old 04-15-18, 05:06 PM
Mars_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is. But it's also French and Swiss.

Well, to be perfectly accurate, the British BB shell width spec was originally 2⅝" or 67mm. French and Swiss are actually 68mm, so everyone rounds up British to that and it works fine. The older the British bike, the more likely is will be to have a 2⅝" shell though.

But in any case, the threading doesn't care what the width is or vice versa. British thread shells come in 2⅝" or 2⅞" (68 or 73mm.) I've seen Italian threaded BB shells in 65, 70, and 74mm widths.

Can't/won't answer that because we don't know the threading. Please CHECK THE BB THREAD FIRST before you go buying something that might not work.

If your frame turns out to have Swiss threads, and if the above BB is a loose-ball BB, you might be able to use the spindle in your original cups, if they're in good condition. The other choice you have for a BB spindle that length is Phil Wood. They still make Swiss thread retaining rings for their BBs.
Originally Posted by phobus
Velo Orange also has an option for Swiss thread bottom brackets. It's actually a threadless bottom bracket, but is supposed to fit BB shells with English/French/Swiss/ruined threading too.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ottom-brackets
How do i know what threading it has though? I kinda ruined the BB while taking it out, but before when I took it to the shop the guy had said it was an english threaded BB bc it was 68mm and all the info was in english

the rd2 crankset needs a 103mm square tapered BB, which that Velo orange option is fine for, but its a bit pricey compared to an FSA BB i was looking at which is 68x103mm

Last edited by Mars_; 04-15-18 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 07:18 PM
phobus

How do i know what threading it has though? I kinda ruined the BB while taking it out, but before when I took it to the shop the guy had said it was an english threaded BB bc it was 68mm and all the info was in english
Look at the direction of the threads and measure them. That's the only way to tell (well, there's also the age-old method of trying to install an English BB and having it not fit, but let's not go there).

This chart should help you:

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Bo - Bz

I highly doubt a vintage French Motobecane would have an English threaded bottom bracket, but I'm no vintage expert. I've just never heard of anything like that. Swiss or French is a lot more likely.
Old 04-15-18, 11:55 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
As I said, 68 is British, French, and Swiss. So that doesn't settle anything. Doesn't matter what language it's written in. What matters is what it actually measures, and that can only be accurately assessed by actual measurements.

BB threads are defined by diameter, pitch, and direction, not necessarily width. Swiss thread is 35mm outside diameter, 1mm pitch, and has a LH thread fixed cup. French is the same diameter and pitch, but has a RH thread fixed cup. British is 1.370" diameter and 24 threads per inch, and a LH thread fixed cup. In metric units, the British thread is 34.80mm diameter and 1.058mm pitch. So as you can see, the British thread diameter is smaller enough and the pitch close enough that it can be forced in. But it's far less than ideal, and not recommended.

If your shop doesn't understand that, they might not be the right shop to help you with this project. That's fine, but I'd recommend finding a shop that knows that Swiss threads exist, and what they mean. Ask them.

It's easier to assess thread pitch and direction than diameter of internal threads, and more conclusive. Once you know thread pitch and direction, it's settled. As I mentioned, you can use any known metric thread, 1.0mm pitch thread to check your BB thread. If you don't know what your steerer actually is, then use a hollow rear axle from any Shimano hub, or a cantilever brake mounting bolt, both will be 1.0mm pitch. Lay it on the threads of the BB shell. If it settles into the threads perfectly and doesn't rock, it's either French or Swiss. If not, it's British.

If you find it's metric thread, then shine a flashlight into the BB shell and see which way the thread winds. Or use a pick to trace the thread and see which way it winds. A standard RH thread will turn clockwise to tighten the part. A LH thread will turn counter-clockwise to tighten the part.

It's possible the original BB was replaced with a British thread one already. Though I can't officially recommend replacing it with another British thread BB, the damage may be done to the frame already. Putting another British thread one in might make it worse, might not.

the rd2 crankset needs a 103mm square tapered BB, which that Velo orange option is fine for, but its a bit pricey compared to an FSA BB i was looking at which is 68x103mm
If the FSA has aluminum cups, and you thread it into a Swiss BB shell, you will damage the threads on the BB, not the frame. That's worse. The BB might not stay tight in the frame.

You can do it cheap and wrong, or less cheap and right. But let me repeat, find out what the thread situation actually is, then make an informed decision. Don't get all balled up about the money until you know what you're dealing with. You're only $20 and some time into the job so far.
Old 04-16-18, 10:07 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
It was 68mm tho? I thought that was English. But I was gonna get a 68x103mm square tapered BB for the sugino rd2 crankset I wanna get. Wud that b fine?
As @Ghrumpy notes, shell width is not a reliable indicator of thread spec.

If you have thread gauges, you can check the thread spec directly. If not, thread spec is often indicated on the bottom bracket cups, albeit sometimes in an obscure manner, especially on older French cups:

Source: Sutherland's 4th Edition
Old 04-16-18, 10:48 AM
EchoBravo
Fish Out of Water

Bikes: 1992 Cannondale 2.8, 1993 Trek 930, 2012 Trek Marlin, 2018 Raleigh Back Alley

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy seeing old bikes being given a new life. I'm just finishing up an old Cr-Mo Ross frame myself.

Old 04-16-18, 11:45 AM
Mars_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB threads are defined by diameter, pitch, and direction, not necessarily width. Swiss thread is 35mm outside diameter, 1mm pitch, and has a LH thread fixed cup. French is the same diameter and pitch, but has a RH thread fixed cup. British is 1.370" diameter and 24 threads per inch, and a LH thread fixed cup. In metric units, the British thread is 34.80mm diameter and 1.058mm pitch. So as you can see, the British thread diameter is smaller enough and the pitch close enough that it can be forced in. But it's far less than ideal, and not recommended.

It's easier to assess thread pitch and direction than diameter of internal threads, and more conclusive. Once you know thread pitch and direction, it's settled. As I mentioned, you can use any known metric thread, 1.0mm pitch thread to check your BB thread. If you don't know what your steerer actually is, then use a hollow rear axle from any Shimano hub, or a cantilever brake mounting bolt, both will be 1.0mm pitch. Lay it on the threads of the BB shell. If it settles into the threads perfectly and doesn't rock, it's either French or Swiss. If not, it's British.

If you find it's metric thread, then shine a flashlight into the BB shell and see which way the thread winds. Or use a pick to trace the thread and see which way it winds. A standard RH thread will turn clockwise to tighten the part. A LH thread will turn counter-clockwise to tighten the part.

If the FSA has aluminum cups, and you thread it into a Swiss BB shell, you will damage the threads on the BB, not the frame. That's worse. The BB might not stay tight in the frame.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
As @Ghrumpy notes, shell width is not a reliable indicator of thread spec.

If you have thread gauges, you can check the thread spec directly. If not, thread spec is often indicated on the bottom bracket cups, albeit sometimes in an obscure manner, especially on older French cups:

Source: Sutherland's 4th Edition
Thank you guys a bunch! It has a 1mm pitch and (if I did it right) it’s RH, so it’s a French thread yeah? I’ll check the info on the BB I wanna get too. I was tracing the threading tho and it does seem a bit janked... some of the threads are like crooked or smth?

Also, i don't think i know the difference between a fixed cup and adjustable cup?

Originally Posted by EchoBravo
I enjoy seeing old bikes being given a new life. I'm just finishing up an old Cr-Mo Ross frame myself.

Ya! There’s a lot more than I thought that goes into building up a bike ^^” But im learning a ton n it’s fun!

Also, beautiful bike! Love the rims on those wheels Nice work fixing it up

Last edited by Mars_; 04-16-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 02:43 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you guys a bunch! It has a 1mm pitch and (if I did it right) it’s RH, so it’s a French thread yeah? I’ll check the info on the BB I wanna get too. I was tracing the threading tho and it does seem a bit janked... some of the threads are like crooked or smth?
All BBs have RH thread on the left (non-drive) side of the bike. French is RH on both sides, Swiss is LH on the right (drive) side of the bike.

If someone jammed a British thread BB into a French thread shell, that will jank the threads even more than in a Swiss thread shell. But a French thread cup will probably still thread in. Lube it well. Make sure it stays straight. (If it's a LH thread shell, a RH thread cup will never be able to get straight.) When you encounter resistance, push into it about ⅛ of a turn, then back it off, repeat until it's as smooth as it can get.

Also, i don't think i know the difference between a fixed cup and adjustable cup?
Fixed cup is on the drive side, adjustable cup on the non-drive side. Of course this only applies to adjustable BBs. BB cartridges just have cups.

Ya! There’s a lot more than I thought that goes into building up a bike ^^” But im learning a ton n it’s fun!
Yes, that is very true. I'm glad your enthusiasm is greater than your frustration!
Old 04-16-18, 06:04 PM
Mars_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All BBs have RH thread on the left (non-drive) side of the bike. French is RH on both sides, Swiss is LH on the right (drive) side of the bike.

If someone jammed a British thread BB into a French thread shell, that will jank the threads even more than in a Swiss thread shell. But a French thread cup will probably still thread in. Lube it well. Make sure it stays straight. (If it's a LH thread shell, a RH thread cup will never be able to get straight.) When you encounter resistance, push into it about ⅛ of a turn, then back it off, repeat until it's as smooth as it can get.

Fixed cup is on the drive side, adjustable cup on the non-drive side. Of course this only applies to adjustable BBs. BB cartridges just have cups.

Yes, that is very true. I'm glad your enthusiasm is greater than your frustration!
One side has RH the other has LH. Was kinda hard to follow with a pick tho, so i might just go a route of getting a threadless BB that above poster had linked... It's type expensive ($70, plus $76 for the crankset) compared to the $15 one but, screw it, I don't wanna buy a BB and not be able to even screw it in because the threading is janked.

but ya it does get frustrating especially when trying to do stuff like unscrewing a super rusted nut or taking off pain in the neck brake calipers but Meh! its fun anyway when u get it done ^^
Old 04-17-18, 01:58 AM
mavimao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One side has RH the other has LH. Was kinda hard to follow with a pick tho, so i might just go a route of getting a threadless BB that above poster had linked... It's type expensive ($70, plus $76 for the crankset) compared to the $15 one but, screw it, I don't wanna buy a BB and not be able to even screw it in because the threading is janked.

but ya it does get frustrating especially when trying to do stuff like unscrewing a super rusted nut or taking off pain in the neck brake calipers but Meh! its fun anyway when u get it done ^^
Welcome to the world of bicycle repair!
Old 04-17-18, 07:11 AM
phobus

Isn't it funny how expensive a cheap bike can be?
Old 04-17-18, 10:06 AM
mavimao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tell me about it! I just put nearly 300€ in a 50€ purchase. Granted, it was a chromoly frame, but I was hoping to salvage more than just the frame, headset, stem and wheels.
Old 04-17-18, 10:25 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Are those brakes DiaCompe Grand Compes? If so, they are quite decent brakes. I raced them on my '76 Fuji Pro. Drawback was that I had to keep in mind the guy behind me didn't have my braking power. (The Grand Compes were much better stoppers than the Campy NRs of that era.)

If that's what you've got, I'd keep 'em. I would change out the levers; not because they don't work but because I hated back then the exposed cables and how they blocked one of my favorite hand positions. Modern Tektro levers will work just fine with those calipers. I have that set-up except the calipers are SunTour of roughly that era on one bike and the stopping is very good.

Ben
Old 04-17-18, 06:19 PM
Mars_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mavimao
Tell me about it! I just put nearly 300€ in a 50€ purchase. Granted, it was a chromoly frame, but I was hoping to salvage more than just the frame, headset, stem and wheels.
Right? I need to scrap some money together, get a job at a shop n all.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Are those brakes DiaCompe Grand Compes? If so, they are quite decent brakes. I raced them on my '76 Fuji Pro. Drawback was that I had to keep in mind the guy behind me didn't have my braking power. (The Grand Compes were much better stoppers than the Campy NRs of that era.)

If that's what you've got, I'd keep 'em. I would change out the levers; not because they don't work but because I hated back then the exposed cables and how they blocked one of my favorite hand positions. Modern Tektro levers will work just fine with those calipers. I have that set-up except the calipers are SunTour of roughly that era on one bike and the stopping is very good.

Ben
I think the front brake was a DiaCompe and the rear was something else (or other way around). I'll consider keeping it if it can be salvaged but I might just buy a new rear brake and use that. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.