Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Prius Problem

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Prius Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 03:02 AM
Jtgyk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe just my mindset.

But a car is just a tool to get Multiple people from points A to B.
Not a statement.
There may be a tendency for some of the people who buy a prius (somewhat "wealthy and entitled")
to be in the ranks of the "This is my road...everyone else is an inconvenience!" ilk right now.

I'll be the one buying the 5 yr old Prius and installing the plug in package (if its more affordable by then). my last minivan lasted over 250K miles before she died. Never didn't give a cyclist his lane...don't see that changing with a change of car.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 02-24-09, 03:03 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisvu05
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Other than large rednecks in pick ups and old people, I routinely have problems with people driving Prius's. Not so much they are trying to hit me but more so much that they are oblivous to the fact they are so damn close to me. I would think the people driving a prius would me more aware of greener travelers such as cyclist but from my experience it seems more like people who drive Prius's around here are doing it as a statement. I can't tell you how many times i've been buzzed by Prius drivers. Thank god I don't live in Califor N ia...I'd probab L y be dead by now.
My attitude towards personal motorized transport has become increasingly polarized of late.
Old 02-24-09, 03:14 AM
Harun
:p

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by Harun; 02-24-09 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 03:32 AM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Other than large rednecks in pick ups and old people, I routinely have problems with people driving Prius's. Not so much they are trying to hit me but more so much that they are oblivous to the fact they are so damn close to me. I would think the people driving a prius would me more aware of greener travelers such as cyclist but from my experience it seems more like people who drive Prius's around here are doing it as a statement. I can't tell you how many times i've been buzzed by Prius drivers. Thank god I don't live in California...I'd probably be dead by now.
Both my wife and drive a Prius (I traded in my Mazda RX-8 for one sight unseen over 4 years ago due to gas consumption), and we both bike, I more so than my wife, so I'm curious about the responses here.

Many times I'm rolling on the electric motor only so it's pretty quiet. Could it be that you're just not aware that the Prius is approaching until it is much closer than if the car were running on its gas motor? Also, if this is on a normal route for you, are you having the same problem with the same Prius? Could be a bad driver.

Last edited by blacksquid; 02-24-09 at 03:35 AM. Reason: additional info added
Old 02-24-09, 04:50 AM
supersport
BE the Ferrari.

Bikes: Co-Motion Nor'wester Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know whether there is a particular problem with Prius drivers or not. Maybe they are just more easily recognizable and memorable cars. One has to wonder if they are more memorable just because of the prejudicial assumptions that some people make about the drivers.

I commuted and rode almost every single day for over two years in San Diego county. Most of my problems seemed to be with pickups and SUV's, but there are also lots more of them on the road and they all look alike.

I have to say it's the minivans that scared me most though. I had pickups and SUV's deliberately mess with me, but several minivans came the closest to hitting me and seemed completely clueless about it.
Old 02-24-09, 05:16 AM
fix
yeahh, becky

Bikes: 1990 Kotter Albuch, 2005 Empella Spaar Select Cross, 2007 Ridley Aedon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most memorable Prius-related incident:

Last year my team was descending a two lane road with a speed limit of 45. I was at the front, going approximately 50. Naturally, as I was traveling the speed limit, I was in the center of the lane. Completely legal in New York.

A woman driving a Prius passed our group of five riders in the opposite lane and cut back to the right lane just in front of me. She then hit the brakes and made a hard right turn onto another street. It was the most dangerous situation a driver's ever put me in.
Old 02-24-09, 05:21 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Other than large rednecks in pick ups and old people, I routinely have problems with people driving Prius's. Not so much they are trying to hit me but more so much that they are oblivous to the fact they are so damn close to me. I would think the people driving a prius would me more aware of greener travelers such as cyclist but from my experience it seems more like people who drive Prius's around here are doing it as a statement. I can't tell you how many times i've been buzzed by Prius drivers. Thank god I don't live in California...I'd probably be dead by now.
I think it has to do with demographics. In California, there are probably Prius drivers under the age of 70. In Middle Tennessee -- I'm 70 miles south of Nashville -- the Prius is definitely an "old person's car." They stopped making slab-sided boat-sized Cadillacs so the retirees all switched to Prius. (Even my 70-year old dad is going for a Prius -- down from a mega-sized truck.)
Old 02-24-09, 05:24 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PDXaero
Makes sense to me, the Prius is one of the most environmentally damaging cars ever made. They are sold purely on the fact that the owners want the moral superiority that comes with ownership. "In America we want everyone to know about the good work we are doing anonymously." -Jay Leno
Why?
Old 02-24-09, 05:27 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by jonestr
Why is it so environmentally damaging?
It's the batteries. Once you're done with them, they are hazardous waste. Big-time bad stuff for which there is no economically- or environmentally-sound cure. This is going to be a major environmental issue in the future.

This is the big electric car / hybrid car mystery to me. No thinking environmentalist would drive an electric or hybrid until they fix the disposal problem.
Old 02-24-09, 05:28 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
It's the batteries. Once you're done with them, they are hazardous waste. Big-time bad stuff for which there is no economically- or environmentally-sound cure. This is going to be a major environmental issue in the future.

This is the big electric car / hybrid car mystery to me. No thinking environmentalist would drive an electric or hybrid until they fix the disposal problem.
This is silly. Toyotas run forever. You know that.
Old 02-24-09, 05:32 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by patentcad
This is silly. Toyotas run forever. You know that.
Sure, Toyotas do. But Chevy and Ford are making hybrids, too!
Old 02-24-09, 05:32 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,248 Times in 626 Posts
Blame the driver, Not the car..

Old 02-24-09, 05:40 AM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend of mine has a Prius, and he let me drive it. Visibility, as previously stated, is mediocre. Couple that with the distracting screen just below the windshield, and I can see why drivers of these vehicles are less attentive than others. Its like a game, trying to keep gas mileage as high as possible. You just stare at the fuel-consumption graphic, trying to keep it over 50 mpg. To me, it is just as distracting as an in-dash DVD player would be...and aren't those illegal to use while driving in most areas?

Not to mention, just an ugly car. Really, really unattractive. A Civic provides great mileage, lower cost, and a better look.
Old 02-24-09, 06:11 AM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
A friend of mine has a Prius, and he let me drive it. Visibility, as previously stated, is mediocre. Couple that with the distracting screen just below the windshield, and I can see why drivers of these vehicles are less attentive than others. Its like a game, trying to keep gas mileage as high as possible. You just stare at the fuel-consumption graphic, trying to keep it over 50 mpg. To me, it is just as distracting as an in-dash DVD player would be...and aren't those illegal to use while driving in most areas?

<snip>
How is this any different than many other cars equipped with navigation units built into the dash? I agree with those who say it's the driver not the car.
Old 02-24-09, 06:17 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been spooked a couple times by them running in the city on 'lectric, but not due to close passing, ghost passing rather.
Old 02-24-09, 06:20 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
But Chevy and Ford are making hybrids, too!
Uh-oh.
Old 02-24-09, 06:48 AM
Coyote2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Assuming he's old enough to vote, I'll bet ten bucks that the OP is a Republican.
Old 02-24-09, 06:50 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Coyote2
Assuming he's old enough to vote
On the Internet the odds of this may be < 50-50.
Old 02-24-09, 06:57 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Assuming he's old enough to vote, I'll bet ten bucks that the OP is a Republican.
But do you think the Prius drivers can tell from a distance?
Old 02-24-09, 07:32 AM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blacksquid
How is this any different than many other cars equipped with navigation units built into the dash? I agree with those who say it's the driver not the car.
Not much different at all. Nor did I say otherwise. Anything that distracts a driver's attention away from the road ahead (and behind) is dangerous. I don't have nav in either of my cars, and I have no intention of adding it in the future.
Old 02-24-09, 07:36 AM
thomson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not noticed a difference with Prius drivers but I have heard others say that.

On the subject of Prius, I do not think they are all that efficient or cost effective but I am glad to see them on the road. Car manufacturers will learn from the miles being driven and motivated with the sales so one day they may even be efficient. Better batteries will be a huge improvement.
Old 02-24-09, 07:42 AM
not2fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think the people driving a prius would me more aware of greener travelers such as cyclist but from my experience it seems more like people who drive Prius's around here are doing it as a statement.
The majority of people driving Prius's are just yuppie idiots who want to be seen driving a Prius. The Prius is a joke, my F-250 Diesel Pickup is more enviro-friendly.

Hey, what's your gripe with pick-ups? I am always friendly to cyclists.
Old 02-24-09, 07:44 AM
not2fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's that got to do with anything?

Other than it means he actually works for a living, instead of living off welfare handouts.
Old 02-24-09, 07:45 AM
Coyote2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by not2fast
What's that got to do with anything?

Other than it means he actually works for a living, instead of living off welfare handouts.
If you really believe that, you're an idiot. Ditto for the claim about your F250.
Old 02-24-09, 07:48 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
BMW drivers. The worst. By far. Can't stand them.

Have you noticed how a BMW owner always refers to his car as BMW rather than car? "I was driving in my BMW"..."I'll go get my BMW"..."Let me put it in my BMW". Funny how Bentley and Rolls Royce drivers don't feel this need to announce what car they own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.