Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which derailleur do I have?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-22, 06:33 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was changing my wife’s rear tire and noticed that her jockey wheels bearings are really bad. I searched online and found out there are two different size 105 11 speed derailleurs. I measured center to center on her jockey wheels and it’s 3 1/2”
many suggestions on which wheels I need and where to get them.
Old 04-17-22, 07:01 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Use 5800 pulley sets - available online all day long for around fifteen bucks.
Old 04-18-22, 01:05 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
…. I’ve only ever counted the number of teeth, which seems to have worked fine…
Old 04-18-22, 04:18 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
That should have bushing, not bearing, you maybe able to get away with just stripping, cleaning and re-greasing them, rather than replace.

The pulley wheels (the name you need to look for if looking for Shimano replacement parts) don't look worn, as they will normally get very shark toothed when really worn, just very dirty.

For the sizing of the RD, for Shimano, they make 2 sizes of RD for road, Short & Med , the only difference if looking at 2 from the same range, as in 5800 will be the cage length, nothing else.

You can se the difference by looking at the EV for the part, for example the 5800 RD EV-RD-5800-3712C.xls (shimano.com)
Old 04-18-22, 05:57 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
That should have bushing, not bearing, you maybe able to get away with just stripping, cleaning and re-greasing them, rather than replace.

The pulley wheels (the name you need to look for if looking for Shimano replacement parts) don't look worn, as they will normally get very shark toothed when really worn, just very dirty.

For the sizing of the RD, for Shimano, they make 2 sizes of RD for road, Short & Med , the only difference if looking at 2 from the same range, as in 5800 will be the cage length, nothing else.

You can se the difference by looking at the EV for the part, for example the 5800 RD EV-RD-5800-3712C.xls (shimano.com)
They looked a little worn to me (the tooth faces are parallel, not wedge-shaped, the the grooves between the teeth are pretty deep). But that may be normal and you may be spot on. I defer to your judgement on this.

I'm a big fan of cleaning and lubricating stuff to make it work again, but then again, jockey wheels should be replaced every 500,000 road miles (or 100 years, whichever comes first) whether they need it our not.
Old 04-18-22, 05:58 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Cage length doesn't matter, pulley wheels are the same for both.
But as said those look good, clean and lube them up.
Old 04-20-22, 11:16 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Yup, a good “fluff & buff” should do the trick! I generally completely disassemble the pulley/cage portion of the derailer (or derailleur, if you please ) in order to remove any rust and/or accumulated grime from the components. As mentioned, the bushing is the bearing. I make sure that both the inner and outer surfaces of the bushing are clean and smooth. The same goes for the unthreaded portion of the shoulder bolt (pulley axle) that secures the outer and inner cage plates. The hub plates on both sides of each pulley also should to be clean and rust free. Much of the above might be considered “overkill” as friction-free isn’t absolutely necessary. The pulleys just need to be able to turn .
Old 04-20-22, 01:27 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by sovende
The pulleys just need to be able to turn .
More importantly the upper needs to have the side to side float for proper indexing.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-20-22, 02:29 PM
sovende

Originally Posted by dedhed
More importantly the upper needs to have the side to side float for proper indexing.
Good call! I’m guessing that the design engineers take the need for the “side to side float” into consideration when selecting the dimensions of the components, specifically the pulleys themselves and the shoulder bolt axles. On the outside chance that assemblies of this nature may have differences in dimensions for the components (perhaps not in this case), I most often keep the components of an assembly separated while cleaning them and reassemble back to original configuration.
Old 04-20-22, 05:22 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by sovende
Good call! I’m guessing that the design engineers take the need for the “side to side float” into consideration when selecting the dimensions of the components, specifically the pulleys themselves and the shoulder bolt axles. On the outside chance that assemblies of this nature may have differences in dimensions for the components (perhaps not in this case), I most often keep the components of an assembly separated while cleaning them and reassemble back to original configuration.
I believe the bushing is longer on the "centeron" guide pulley to allow the float.
Old 04-20-22, 06:57 PM
sovende

I believe the bushing is longer on the "centeron" guide pulley to allow the float.
I''m making a mental note to check that out the next time I work on a derailer!
Old 04-21-22, 12:31 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
That would make the cage wider at the top--the cages wouldn't be parallel. The bushings should be the same size. The centeron pulley has the float built in. Same goes for the pulley bolts--they are the same length. The bolts tighten against the bushing, which doesn't move. The pully wheel revolves around the stationary bushing.
Old 04-21-22, 05:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by smd4
That would make the cage wider at the top--the cages wouldn't be parallel. The bushings should be the same size. The centeron pulley has the float built in. Same goes for the pulley bolts--they are the same length. The bolts tighten against the bushing, which doesn't move. The pully wheel revolves around the stationary bushing.
I should have said wider than the pulley to allow for the float. Either way you have to make sure the upper pulley has side float for proper indexing
Old 04-21-22, 06:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by RoMad
I searched online and found out there are two different size 105 11 speed derailleurs. I measured center to center on her jockey wheels and it’s 3 1/2”
The two sizes (SS and GS) of 11s 105 RD differ by parallelogram geometry and cage length, but use the same pulleys.

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Use 5800 pulley sets - available online all day long for around fifteen bucks.
For a few more bucks just upgrade to Ultegra pulleys, both of which use bearings, rather than the one bearing and one bushing of the 105 pulley set.

Shimano Ultegra 11 Speed Road Pulley Wheel Kit | Competitive Cyclist