Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nexus 8 C6000 series question (roller brake)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-21, 02:00 PM
mikejf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. Can anyone tell me whether there is any retaining/locknut for the rear (BR-6000-R) roller brake? It only comes with the cable hardware small pieces and a large spacer. With the brake on the hub, held on only by the rubber lined spacer the hub OLD measure 132-133mm. The spacer is kind of tight and does seem to hold the brake in place well enough for installation.

Is the spacer meant to function as the sole locknut for the left side, with only the outer axle nut to hold everything in place, once installed in the bike?

Also, if you purchase the rim brake version of the Nexus, the SG-C6011-8V hub, are you really just getting the roller brake hub, SG-C6011-8R, with the dust cover and locknut installed?

TIA, Michael
Old 08-11-21, 07:00 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I have a roller brake on a Nexus 8-speed hub. After removing the cover from the non-drive side by removing a 17mm nut, the brake module is installed. It engages the splines on the hub, and is then held in place with the same 17mm nut.
Yes, at least in my experience, which is with hubs that came on rim-brake bikes, the hubs are basically the same. The dust cover conceals the splines that engage the roller brake module.