Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Wahoo system, first ride

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Wahoo system, first ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-22, 09:56 AM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Wahoo system, first ride

Bought a kickr a month back. At first just loaded the Wahoo app on my phone and watched you tube. I'm now signed up for a free trial of the Wahoo System, btw they now give you 2 months, Anyway, did my first virtual ride today in the Pyrenees. Something was wrong as it was much too easy. Ride screen had my speed in the high teens, but phone app had me in the 30's, even while climbing. I was spinning out frquently. Is it because of when I loaded my profile I was honest about not exercising much for the last month and that I'm 68? Will it adjust on its own? Went back to try and adjust profile, but could only do weight/height/age. Wish I could claim that I'm that good of a cyclist, but I'm no better than avg, even for my age. Thanks in advance
Old 01-08-22, 11:58 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
You mean Wahoo SYSTM? If it feels too easy then your FTP is probably set too low. You may want to try running one of their fitness tests to gauge your actual power stats (Full Frontal is best but may be too brutal, Half Monty is easier to complete but less accurate and only generates two out of the four 4DP values).
Old 01-08-22, 01:53 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
Spent some time this afternoon trying to decipher info from Wahoo Systm. You're right about doing a fitness test, will do one tomorrow. Also read that the ride I did was just that, a ride and not a race. You're supposed to ride at the cadence on the screen. A higher cadence gives the results that I had, too easy. Lower cadence increases the resistance. I'm new to this having had a dumb trainer in years past so there's a learning curve. Sorry that I asked a question before doing research, but it doesn't seem a user friendly site for a newbie like me. Think I'll head over to youtube, I'll bet there's some info there. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-22, 03:20 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,864 Times in 3,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Bought a kickr a month back. At first just loaded the Wahoo app on my phone and watched you tube. I'm now signed up for a free trial of the Wahoo System, btw they now give you 2 months, Anyway, did my first virtual ride today in the Pyrenees. Something was wrong as it was much too easy. Ride screen had my speed in the high teens, but phone app had me in the 30's, even while climbing. I was spinning out frquently. Is it because of when I loaded my profile I was honest about not exercising much for the last month and that I'm 68? Will it adjust on its own? Went back to try and adjust profile, but could only do weight/height/age. Wish I could claim that I'm that good of a cyclist, but I'm no better than avg, even for my age. Thanks in advance
The ride speed displayed on the screen depends on what setting you have in SYSTM settings during the ride. If you choose "virtual speed" then it shows your speed based on your power output as if you were riding on a typical flat road. So it racks up virtual mileage as you go through your session as if you were just riding a flat route with variable power. However if you choose speed directly from your trainer then it will display a speed based on your trainer flywheel, which can often be nonsense depending on your trainer settings. But none of this affects the target power/resistance of the trainer in SYSTM, only the virtual mileage you log.

Just make sure your trainer is actually connected to SYSTM in the ride settings (top right of the ride screen) and set speed to virtual. You don't need the Wahoo app running at all and in fact it would be better to close that down completely when using SYSTM.
Once you get it all set up properly it will not be too easy unless you are doing a low power recovery ride.