Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Parking in Bike Lanes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Parking in Bike Lanes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 01:31 PM
tn_roadie

Bikes: Rivendell Ram, Surly LHT, Trek E-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Parking in Bike Lanes

Nashville Tennessee has a considerable amount of illegal parking in unprotected (and most are) bike lanes. It happens quite a bit in the downtown and other areas that have a lot of construction, which is much of the central city. We are slowly getting the PD to write more tickets. I don't know if it will change behavior but it won't hurt.

Do other cities have the same problem? How do you deal with it? I always thought police officers were eager to write tickets but often they just make the offender move their vehicle.
Old 02-17-18, 11:18 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
In Toronto, we have a team of parking enforcement officers on bicycles to hand out tickets. Last summer their leader made a name for himself and with great success reducing illegal parking of all sorts of vehicles (including delivery trucks) by publically shaming the violaters on Twitter.
Old 02-18-18, 02:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I think it happens everywhere. But, generally isn't that bad around here.

If traffic isn't too bad, one can generally look back, signal, and get around them.

I find construction signs and garbage cans deliberately placed in bike lanes more infuriating.

As far as what to do about parked cars, as a community, you have to decide what to do about it, and is it a priority, then ticket the offenders.

Consider differences between delivery vehicles (generally quick in and out) vs people doing long-term parking. Hotels?
Old 02-18-18, 02:20 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Many cops do not like being viewed as meter maids.

Most cops try to pick out moving violations that have a good chance of resulting in a drug bust or tickets that get federal money like the click-it-or-ticket federal program.
Old 02-18-18, 08:39 AM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Many cops do not like being viewed as meter maids.

Most cops try to pick out moving violations that have a good chance of resulting in a drug bust or tickets that get federal money like the click-it-or-ticket federal program.
Most medium and large cities have parking enforcement units anyway. No need for street cops to do a job that someone else was specifically hired to do.
Old 02-18-18, 03:02 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I was reading that local governments are using driving and parking tickets (hopefully, when warranted) as a way to increase revenue. This looks like a good prospect for them. Then there was the picture somebody posted on this forum of official vehicles and "police station customers" parking in the bike lane right in front of a local police station.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 02-18-18, 04:38 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tn_roadie
Nashville Tennessee has a considerable amount of illegal parking in unprotected (and most are) bike lanes. It happens quite a bit in the downtown and other areas that have a lot of construction, which is much of the central city. We are slowly getting the PD to write more tickets. I don't know if it will change behavior but it won't hurt.

Do other cities have the same problem? How do you deal with it? I always thought police officers were eager to write tickets but often they just make the offender move their vehicle.
Same problem here, but parked cars aren't the only obstacles in the bike lanes. Try riding in the bike lanes just before trash pickup days, and it becomes a potentially hazardous situation with all the trash buggies, debris, tree limbs, leaf bags, discarded household junk, etc, causing the constant lane changes. It's the main reasons our bike lanes are a waste of paint, and I generally stay out of them.
Old 02-18-18, 05:00 PM
CliffordK

I consider garbage cans and construction signs in bike lanes a bigger issue than delivery vehicles.

For one thing, the garbage cans will likely be there all day, if not a couple of days. The construction signs may be in the bike lane for weeks or months.

The delivery vehicle will be making a short stop, then moving on. Often there is no open parking, or driveways. And pulling into a driveway, then backing out may be a more dangerous maneuver than simply parking in the bike lane.

Parking in the traffic lane generally isn't a viable alternative, considering the difference in number of cars vs number of bicycles.

Also, a road savvy car driver should be using look-ahead driving, and see both the cyclist and parked vehicle and anticipate potential conflicts.

Likewise, the road savvy cyclist will also see the car ahead, and start looking back to see what the traffic is like, then signal and safely move left to pass.

Of course, it all depends on volume. One delivery van in the bike lane every few miles... perhaps an annoyance, but hardly more. Taxis and Ubers and delivery vans and car pools and lazy homeowners.... if there is a car every few yards, then it is no longer a bike lane.
Old 02-18-18, 06:28 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

It would be interesting taking a dumpster bike with kick stand and double parking it next to a parked car that is blocking the bike lane. Wait until police show up and as they are removing the bicycle, ask them if they are also towing the car and if not, why not.
Old 02-18-18, 11:30 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Work on your rock hopping.
Get a fat bike.
Play monster truck.
Post on YouTube.
Profit.
Old 02-19-18, 06:27 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts

Chicago sure does, especially in the Loop. The local cycling forum has a thread especially dedicated to posting pictures of offending vehicles and in most cases, with the license plate number. I don't live or work in Chicago, but living in Northwest Indiana, I do make frequent trips downtown, and I've seen the problem first hand. When the bike lane is nothing but parking for very inconsiderate drivers, I feel for my fellow cyclists.
Old 02-19-18, 07:10 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by CB HI
It would be interesting taking a dumpster bike with kick stand and double parking it next to a parked car that is blocking the bike lane. Wait until police show up and as they are removing the bicycle, ask them if they are also towing the car and if not, why not.
You mean lock it to the car? Otherwise, what makes you think someone won't just pick up the bike and give it a toss somewhere?

Or, simply drive off and leave the bike sitting in the middle of the street?
Old 02-19-18, 08:39 AM
arbee

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
The best solutions are local. For example, this worked in Vilnius

but I suspect it may not be universally applicable.

Last edited by arbee; 02-19-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 08:57 AM
tn_roadie

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You mean lock it to the car? Otherwise, what makes you think someone won't just pick up the bike and give it a toss somewhere?

I like this ad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cars-in-bikelane-PSA.jpg (129.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 02-19-18, 11:26 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why do you care?

Old 02-19-18, 03:12 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

I bet the cops show up real fast for a double parked bicycle.
Old 02-19-18, 03:17 PM
tn_roadie

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Why do you care?

1. My tax dollars paid for those bike lanes. Why should I provide free parking for car drivers?
2. It could create a dangerous situation depending on the situation and the rider's experience.
3. I want to grow cycling. That will happen when people who don't ride feel safe on city streets.
4. Thoughtless law breakers driving 2 ton weapons piss me off.
Old 02-19-18, 04:10 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. My tax dollars paid for those bike lanes. Why should I provide free parking for car drivers?
2. It could create a dangerous situation depending on the situation and the rider's experience.
3. I want to grow cycling. That will happen when people who don't ride feel safe on city streets.
4. Thoughtless law breakers driving 2 ton weapons piss me off.
Thanks for answering!
  1. You paid for those traffic lanes too - why not use them?
  2. Riders who cannot temporarily leave bike lanes safely should not be on those roads.
  3. Being actually safe is more important than merely feeling safe; in fact, feeling safe when not actually safe can be dangerous. Doorings, right hooks, left crosses, pullout crashes and drifts into bike lanes are all crashes to which cyclists who feel safe, but actually ride in a manner contrary to actually being safe, often fall victim. Fear of leaving a bike lane is symptomatic of this kind of attitude.
  4. In these waning days of personal motor cars, and mass killings at school, and a lunatic with his finger near the nuke button, whining about cars parked in bike lanes really seems trivial and pathetic to me. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 02-19-18 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-18, 04:17 PM
CliffordK

And depending on where the tax dollars are coming from, the auto drivers often also paid some, if not a great part of the cost of the bike lanes. Fuel taxes? That, or the local property owners and developers.

So... if there are 99 cars on the road and 1 bicycle... then do the car drivers own 99% of the bike lane, and the lonely cyclist owns 1% of the bike lane?
Old 02-19-18, 05:18 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And depending on where the tax dollars are coming from, the auto drivers often also paid some, if not a great part of the cost of the bike lanes. Fuel taxes? That, or the local property owners and developers.

So... if there are 99 cars on the road and 1 bicycle... then do the car drivers own 99% of the bike lane, and the lonely cyclist owns 1% of the bike lane?
But it's the cage parkers who are the thoughtless ones, not the whining bicyclists who could trivially move over a few feet to ride around said parked cage.

Wouldn't it be so much better if those cagers had to circle the block a few more times searching for a parking spot?

Is it any wonder they hate us and our smug 'tudes so much?
Old 02-19-18, 05:49 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
In the Bay Area, 90% is USPS, UPS, FEDEX, etc. Delivery vehicles. Even when there is room adjacent against the curb. Oh, add AMAZON delivery drivers too. All too lazy to actually take the time to park, they just stop in the bike lanes. And push cyclists way out into traffic as a result. There's an occasional personal auto but (1) you can get around them without extending out so far into oncoming lanes and (2) usually there is someone inside so you can yell at them, lol.
Old 02-19-18, 06:43 PM
CliffordK

Wouldn't it be so much better if those cagers had to circle the block a few more times searching for a parking spot?
Just de-tune their diesels a little bit, and the cyclists will be happy to get them to the side of the road as quickly as possible
Old 02-19-18, 07:07 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
In the Bay Area, 90% is USPS, UPS, FEDEX, etc. Delivery vehicles. Even when there is room adjacent against the curb. Oh, add AMAZON delivery drivers too. All too lazy to actually take the time to park, they just stop in the bike lanes. And push cyclists way out into traffic as a result. There's an occasional personal auto but (1) you can get around them without extending out so far into oncoming lanes and (2) usually there is someone inside so you can yell at them, lol.
Cyclists ARE traffic.

A bike lane is just one traffic lane of several on the road. If one lane is blocked, you move into an adjacent lane, negotiating for right of way as necessary. But if you look ahead (hello? it's not that hard to see a parked CAR much less a FEDEX truck in the bike lane ahead) you should have plenty of time and space to plan and execute your harrowing (wait for it) lane change!!! OMG!!! SO DANGEROUS!!! SO SCARY!!!

Is this a cycling forum? Where are the cyclists?
Old 02-19-18, 07:14 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Cyclists ARE traffic.

A bike lane is just one traffic lane of several on the road. If one lane is blocked, you move into an adjacent lane, negotiating for right of way as necessary. But if you look ahead (hello? it's not that hard to see a parked CAR much less a FEDEX truck in the bike lane ahead) you should have plenty of time and space to plan and execute your harrowing (wait for it) lane change!!! OMG!!! SO DANGEROUS!!! SO SCARY!!!

Is this a cycling forum? Where are the cyclists?
First of all, I believe we all want to encourage people to bike - and this is a deterrent.
Second, where I live you often have to move into the oncoming lane to get around these trucks. Hard to negotiate right of way with an oncoming vehicle which cannot see you behind the truck AND would happily run over a cyclist anyway.
Third, your attitude sucks.
Fourth, cyclists are traffic maybe where you live but here they are moving targets.
Old 02-19-18, 07:39 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
First of all, I believe we all want to encourage people to bike - and this is a deterrent.
Second, where I live you often have to move into the oncoming lane to get around these trucks. Hard to negotiate right of way with an oncoming vehicle which cannot see you behind the truck AND would happily run over a cyclist anyway.
Third, your attitude sucks.
Fourth, cyclists are traffic maybe where you live but here they are moving targets.
I've ridden in and around SF. Motorist treatment of conspicuously positioned cyclists who communicate effectively and are predictable is terrific. No issues; only complements and waves and nods.

Think of yourself as a respected road user with equal rights, and act accordingly. They will follow suit.

Acting indignant about cars parking in bike lanes telegraphs obnoxiousness form your body language. Your attitude sucks. That's why you have so many problems with motorists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.